ww1 new movie : "Merry christmas"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ww1 new movie : "Merry christmas"

just back from the movies and saw a ww1-set movie called "Merry Christmas" it's a story - mostly based on facts of the christmas 1914 fraternisations in this case between scots, frenchmen and germans on a trench. very nice done, historically accurate (except the feminine part, but it's ok...)

nice movie and note at the very beginning and at the very end the message of hate of "officials" that sounds so much like the messages we heard in the buildup of the latest wars (we learned nothing in 100 years..)

anyone else seen it?
    "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

I have not seen it but it sounds good Do you know if it will be shown in america? Speeking of christmas in WWI have you heard of the christmas truse* when both sides stopped fighting and both sides where orderd to shoot there own men if they fraturnized with the enemy?
    Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
    I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Patton 7079
      Speeking of christmas in WWI have you heard of the christmas truse* when both sides stopped fighting and both sides where orderd to shoot there own men if they fraturnized with the enemy?
      Ermmm,...that is what the movie is about young Patton. And by the way, ...there were no orders to shoot the men fraternizing, although not all units in the line in the British sector took part. The shooting, in general, came to a complete stop., though. I would suggest you pick up a copy of Winston Groom's, "A Storm in Flanders",...a good read without getting to involved in the minute details (he wrote it for American readers interested in the topic).
      The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424205/
        "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

is it actually planned for release in the US - surely yes.

Comment

The moring paper over here ran a story here about that the French Army refused to take any part in the producion of the movie. Some french general claimed that yhey would never support such treason... even if it happened 90 years ago and is a stunning story.

They also (according to the the article) refuses to send the movie to tropps overseas. The britts however have a more common sense aporach to the issue and have gladly supplied all thier bases with copies ready to be screened in time for christmas.
            "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Originally posted by Pergite
              The moring paper over here ran a story here about that the French Army refused to take any part in the producion of the movie. Some french general claimed that yhey would never support such treason... even if it happened 90 years ago and is a stunning story.

They also (according to the the article) refuses to send the movie to tropps overseas. The britts however have a more common sense aporach to the issue and have gladly supplied all thier bases with copies ready to be screened in time for christmas.
              If this report is true, then the fact that French generals see the humanity of soldiers as treason is a truly sad thing.

Comment

Not sure why the french have their girdle all twisted up..

Not sure why the french or a french officer would get so twisted up about the Christmas truce of 1914.

Truces/cease fires were a common part of wars UP UNTIL this century. What makes that truce (and the soccer game etc) of 1914 unique is that it is one of the last unofficial ones ie one NOT brokered or sponsored by HQ or higher ranks that I have read about in the 20th century

(Having stuck my foot out, I know about Arnhemn in 1944, and what von Luck said about the unofficial ceasefires that the DAK and Brits had in N.Africa in 1942)

Mark DV
                GR MICH

Comment

Originally posted by MarkDV
                  Not sure why the french or a french officer would get so twisted up about the Christmas truce of 1914.
                  I think they somehow suffer from how (American) media in general chooses to portray the average french soldier and the constant jokes that try to depict their record from the world wars (as well as the anger over their unwillingness to get stuck in Iraq).

"French troops arrived in Afghanistan last week, and not a minute too soon. The French are acting as advisers to the Taliban, to teach them how to surrender properly." --- Jay Leno 5
                  "The secret of war lies in the communications" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

the movie was mostly filmed in Rumania, a more and more common (and cheap) place for french movies to be filmed. some other parts were filmed in Germany, I think.

Comment

Kind of like American films being filmed in Canada.....Anyways, I am pleased to announce that I saw this movie in Canada recently. I will be renting it as soon as possible.
                      There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X