movie: Jarhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jthomas
    Anyone catch "Shootout: Fallujah" last night on the History Channel? Also did an episode on Afghanistan. Pretty good once you get used to their format.
    Yeah, Shootout is a terrific show. I saw both last night, but the Fallujah episode came out a while ago. Good stuff. They got some marines' marines on that show, don't they? And the show also showed a good side of embedded journalists. Patrick K. O'Donnell, who has written multiplte WW2 books, was embedded with Marines in Fallujah. The squad he was with came under fire, and a marine in front of O'Donnell was shot in the head. O'Donnell stood up under fire and dragged the marine out of the area.

Anyway, really good show.
    To whispers of Beethoven...

"Mein Gott! Die Invasion. Sie kommen!"
    -Werner Pluskat

Comment

I wasn't too impressed. Good visuals but practically no action. This would be okay if there were an in-depth story but there wasn't. Once again Hollywood failed to dodge the stereotype bullet: let's see, we had the nutcase, the God-Bless-America hell or high water patriot, the quiet, shy, often doofusy character who always wears BC glasses, and the main character struggling to maintain his humanity amidst the carnage - except in this case there is none.

A carbon copy of Full Metal Jacket. Except that Full Metal Jacket had Ermy. And firefights.
      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Thanks for the head's up, guys. I'll save the $20 for taking my wife to another friggin' chick-flick, I guess.

I'm half-way through the book, and from what I've read here, it seems to reflect the book fairly closely (for a change). This guy seems to have had an attitude problem from day 1 and spends most of the book recounting his adventures chasing ****** in the Phillipines during a WestPac deployment, whose Japanese girlfriend he screwed in Okinawa, and obsessing over his "unfaithful" girlfriend. Right off the bat, he refers to the Corps as "The Suck", so you knew this was going nowhere fast. Fortunately, it's a library book!

I think it is just another manifestation of the Hollywood leftists backing a "war"movie that fits their preconceived notions. All marines are psychopathic, homoerotic drunkards, and that the military is an evil patriarcy out to smear the memory of the dead heroine......

Anyone catch "Shootout: Fallujah" last night on the History Channel? Also did an episode on Afghanistan. Pretty good once you get used to their format.
        Yeah, I saw it. Interesting style. I always enjoyed reading in-depth tactical analyses of small scale shootouts. Having it done with re-enactments and computer animation was neat.

According to my uncle, who was in the Navy during Vietnam, the Marines were crazy. My high school history teacher, also a Navy man, concurred this. Of course, the Navy never did get along with the Marines.
        Last edited by Pirateship1982; 07 Nov 05, 09:58.
        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by pirateship1982
          According to my uncle, who was in the Navy during Vietnam, the Marines were crazy. My high school history teacher, also a Navy man, concurred this. Of course, the Navy never did get along with the Marines.
          Just as the Marines consider the Army a "Mob", Airborne thinks "If you ain't Airborne, You ain't SH!T", Tankers say "Nothing falls from the sky but bird **** and idiots", yada, yada. That whole thing is as American as Motherhood and Apple Pie. At Valley Forge, they were probably saying "If you ain't a Continental, you ain't [insert 18th century expletive here]". Some things will never change!

Comment

*whew*!

the weekend came and went and we found other stuff to do.

thanks for all your replies! Was surprised to see 3 pages of responses, but just what I was looking for.

Ironically, I heard a review after posting this thread. The reviewer--Michael Medved--found it boring with little or no action. (That's not bad in and of itself) He also mentioned the first half being like FMJ (I loved that film) but not as good. The second half, then, is very boring.

I'll wait for the video. . .and get the book from the library

Comment

I think it is just another manifestation of the Hollywood leftists backing a "war"movie that fits their preconceived notions. All marines are psychopathic, homoerotic drunkards, and that the military is an evil patriarcy out to smear the memory of the dead heroine......
              The fact that the film is based on a book by a former Marine doesn't make your argument a convincing one. But then again I don't live in a world where leftists or rightists call all the shots.

I saw the film on Sunday, and I thought the whole point was the irony of the situation; that is, these men are put through personal hell, their lives are turned upside-down, but there is no pay-off for them at the end because the war is so short that they don't even get to fire their weapons...yet they still were in a war and had to deal with all the extreme circumstances which go along with it, and they are touched forever by the experience. As such, they deserve respect from their country which put them in that situation in the first place.

If you are expecting Patton or Hamburger Hill you're looking in the worng place. But this is just as much a film about the experience of war as any film.

Comment

I'm told by my wife I cannot watch any of the rash of desert storm/OIF films,TV shows where someone might here me adding commentary. So I'm waiting till I'm back home in front of my DVD player...just in case.
                Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Someone must have liked this movie...it grossed 28 mil over the weekend.
                  Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT
                    No It means they liked the trailer. It almost got me. If the movie has any legs it will do well this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT
                      It's a liberal conspiracy.
                      AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                      The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

I'm sure I'll sound stupid asking this but: where does the term 'jarhead' come from?

Yeah, yeah, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people. . .

Comment

Originally posted by alanp
                          I'm sure I'll sound stupid asking this but: where does the term 'jarhead' come from?

Yeah, yeah, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people. . .
                          Ever seen one in dress uniform? The high collar and the high and tight haircut makes their head look like a jar. I think it started as an insult.
                          AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                          The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by MLaPanzer
                            No It means they liked the trailer. It almost got me. If the movie has any legs it will do well this weekend.
                            The trailer was what conned me. I slowly came to realize as the movie progressed that the only action in the movie was shown entirely in the trailer.

Comment

Hey look who it is!

Don't waste your time with it. The film is the pinnacle of over hyped BS and a horrid representation of the Corps. To understand the film you must first understand the book, which is by the way, one of the novels most vilified by Marines. To be fair, I read the book when I was 16, almost six years after the end of the first Gulf War, and three years before I enlisted. To be perfectly honest, I couldn't get past chapter two without asking; "Is this true? Sounds like a load of [email protected]#t to me".

Turns out most of it is, s#&t that is. The movie is not an accurate depiction of what Swafford supposidly experienced, in fact, it's far from it. Jarhead the film does not show his constant whining, bickering, self torture, I hate the Corps mentality, and utter lies that are within. What it does show are some aspects of the book in which he depicts himself as the lone "hero", the only one who is up to the task of being a Marine while the others are out of control.

I suggest you read the book in order to get a good idea of what Professor Swafford is really like.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Maddox
                                I have read several reviews so far and none of them were kind. Apparently, this "war" film has no war in it. Instead, it sort of follows the state of mind of a group of marines who never really get to do anything.
                                Did that war have any 'war' in it?
                                Mad Cow's Steakhouse & Doggie's Cheatin' Heart Saloon and Cigar Emporium

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X