movie: Jarhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MLaPanzer
    I wish I could tell ya I did some great work to get it but I can't. For this one I just Googled F-troop it came up with a site that had small pic's of all the stars. I just right clicked saved the Pic. then put it up as my avatar.
    I think I f-up.....This isn't what I wanted, and I can't get rid of it.
    "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Originally posted by Slug
      I think I f-up.....This isn't what I wanted, and I can't get rid of it.
      That is TOO funny man.

Comment

Originally posted by MLaPanzer
        That is TOO funny man.
        It's supposed to be Sgt. O'Rourke from F-Troop, but I got a terrorist instead.
        Slug
        "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Weider
          It's 2 hours of watching Marines being portrayed as dysfunctional, disturbed, dumb and sadistic.
          You know, Eric, the first time I saw the trailer on TV, I said something to this effect to my wife. She just looked at me and asked, "Now how can you tell that from watching a 30-second trailer?" But I had the distinct impression this was going to be some pathetic attempt to dwell "on the mind of the US marine," or just pure Hollywood fantasy. My impression from watching the trailer was almost entirely negative.

I read a review of this film yesterday from a major media outlet that trashed the film, then went on to suggest that people should reserve their money for "great war films" like Three Kings. I almost laughed out loud when I read that, but just clicked off the Internet in total disgust.

As both a Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom vet, I can honestly say I have not seen a single documentary or film yet that got even remotely near to portraying either war in a realistic light. It upsets me because I feel it is little wonder the US military is so misunderstood by its own citizens.
          Editor-in-Chief
          GameSquad.com

Comment

Hey Don...What about...

I agree Don with your statement about no good Gulf War films yet....but I did like Courage Under Fire with Denzel Washington. I know it was more about getting a story right vs being a war film, but Denzel, Meg Ryan and Co did a pretty good job...

CD
            "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Don Maddox
              I had the distinct impression this was going to be some pathetic attempt to dwell "on the mind of the US marine," or just pure Hollywood fantasy. My impression from watching the trailer was almost entirely negative.
              This is exactly what it is...and unfortunately as usual they pick confused, maladjusted, and dark minds to dwell on.

This story may be based on one Marine's actual experiences but it drives me nuts that the viewer is left with the overall impression that our Servicemen are losers living in a country that doesn't giver a crap for them.

There is a scene at the end when the Marines are back from Kuwait and is participating in some small town victory parade... a Vietnam vet...who clearly looks homeless...jumps on their bus in his old combat jacket and says "Semper fi Marines!" The Marines on the bus stare at this vet as if it's a vision of their future and what awaits them...confused and disturbed from war, in a society that doesn't give a crap...they wind up homeless.

Yes it does happen sometimes...but all types of people wind up lost, disturbed and homeless...why always portray our soldiers in this depressing manner. There are so many stories that are 100% the opposite...uplifitng...inspiring...and still very real.

This film is going to bomb.
              Publisher
              Armchair General Magazine
              Weider History Group

Comment

Originally posted by creeping death
                I agree Don with your statement about no good Gulf War films yet....but I did like Courage Under Fire with Denzel Washington. I know it was more about getting a story right vs being a war film, but Denzel, Meg Ryan and Co did a pretty good job...

CD
                Oh my gosh, don't get me started on that film. I found part of it entertaining too, but it's so wildly inaccurate in so many ways that I shudder to think people view that as "history."
                Editor-in-Chief
                GameSquad.com

Comment

Wait

Originally posted by Don Maddox
                  Oh my gosh, don't get me started on that film. I found part of it entertaining too, but it's so wildly inaccurate in so many ways that I shudder to think people view that as "history."

I am basing my opinion on entertainment alone, not based on history of facts. In my opinion you could put Denzel in any movie (showgirls) and he could make it fun

CD
                  "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Just got back from seeing it, and this former Marine ('86-'92) didn't care for it at all. Mr. Weider's comments are pretty much my own thoughts about it. From the exaggerated boot camp scene, to the protrayal that everyone's wife/gf will screw around behind your back while you're gone, to the political jabs that are taken throughout (references to current day events such as "this s### is over, thank God we'll never have to come back to this piece of s###!" to the "instant battlefield demotion" - I was pretty disgusted actually.

It's a FMJ wanna be clone - the author took some moments that probably happened out there (the goofing off), and tried to fill 2 hours of a movie with it. The problem that I have with it is that those that have not served will think that this is exactly what it is like, and those that did serve have been protrayed as unprofessional idiots.

If you must see it, catch the discounted matinee - otherwise, wait until it's released on DVD - you get nothing from seeing it in the theatre, there is no action aside from two 5 second clips of some aresnal being dropped (one being friendly fire - had to throw that in there).
                    "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son." -Dean Vernon Wormer

The Proving Grounds

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Weider
                      Yes it does happen sometimes...but all types of people wind up lost, disturbed and homeless...why always portray our soldiers in this depressing manner.
                      Also keep in mind that some of these people were this way before they enlisted.

Luckily I stayed home sick while my brother and dad saw the movie. I've heard the same things from them that I'm hearing from all of you.
                      To whispers of Beethoven...

"Mein Gott! Die Invasion. Sie kommen!"
                      -Werner Pluskat

Comment

I wouldn't say that the film was a Michael Moore "I hate the USA" film, but it does remind me of an Oliver Stone film. Did he direct this?

BTW, Eric, love the work your dad has done all these years. I've been a big fan of M&F and Flex since I started training back in '83 while in the Corps.

The Proving Grounds

Comment

Originally posted by GJK
                          I wouldn't say that the film was a Michael Moore "I hate the USA" film, but it does remind me of an Oliver Stone film. Did he direct this?

BTW, Eric, love the work your dad has done all these years. I've been a big fan of M&F and Flex since I started training back in '83 while in the Corps.
                          Thanks! I'll pass that on. He'll appreciate it! Still keeping fit?
                          Publisher
                          Armchair General Magazine
                          Weider History Group

Comment

Absolutely! In fact, I work at a gym part time here in the evenings, so it's 6 days a week of working out.

The Proving Grounds

Comment

Thanks for the head's up, guys. I'll save the $20 for taking my wife to another friggin' chick-flick, I guess.

I'm half-way through the book, and from what I've read here, it seems to reflect the book fairly closely (for a change). This guy seems to have had an attitude problem from day 1 and spends most of the book recounting his adventures chasing ****** in the Phillipines during a WestPac deployment, whose Japanese girlfriend he screwed in Okinawa, and obsessing over his "unfaithful" girlfriend. Right off the bat, he refers to the Corps as "The Suck", so you knew this was going nowhere fast. Fortunately, it's a library book!

I think it is just another manifestation of the Hollywood leftists backing a "war"movie that fits their preconceived notions. All marines are psychopathic, homoerotic drunkards, and that the military is an evil patriarcy out to smear the memory of the dead heroine......

Anyone catch "Shootout: Fallujah" last night on the History Channel? Also did an episode on Afghanistan. Pretty good once you get used to their format.

Comment

Originally posted by jthomas
                                Anyone catch "Shootout: Fallujah" last night on the History Channel? Also did an episode on Afghanistan. Pretty good once you get used to their format.
                                Yes! I had seen it before actually, but it was a nice bit of antidote for the POS movie that I had seen earlier in the day.

The Proving Grounds

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X