movie: Jarhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• movie: Jarhead

Who's seen it? What did you think? Who's read many reviews?

I'd kind of like to see it; is it 'preachy'--does it have a political message?--that might make me want to wait and get the DVD from the library in a year. My wife has a huge crush on Jake G., should we both see it? (She hates "war films")

Caveat: I heard the review on NPR: but the one thing that stuck out is that the reviewer (some guy from Slate- who I never remember his name) -said if anything the movie had less of an edge than the book. Apparently the author was pretty opinionated about things (although I've never read it -I heard the quote the writer used in the book about his general idea of his experience in Iraq -in the first Gulf War - and have to agree - it is not generally something you'd expect to have heard about that war).

I, too want to see this one (as well as ultimately get the book)...

They played a little excerpt from the film - Jamie Fox as the DO - and he was reciting the credo - the exact same one that R Lee Ermey was doing in Full Metal Jacket - but a little bit different delivery which seemed even more authentic in this day and age -as opposed to a pre-Vietnam boot camp. My father - who went through boot camp in the late 50's said the DO's were rough and tough - but that the corporal stuff like chking yourself in the FMJ never happened to his group. (Other stuff did like the Corpsmen deciding someone was too bigheaded - left a needle in a guy's arm - after innoculating the guy- just to see the tough guy faint... so anyway - dunno if that is relevant or not - just some memories I heard about the Corps -and comparing them to FMJ and to what little I heard on Jarhead.

Comment

I just got back from watching it, I must say I thought it was pretty good, the beginning of the film reminded of the beginning of Full Metal Jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by alanp
        Who's seen it? What did you think? Who's read many reviews?

I'd kind of like to see it; is it 'preachy'--does it have a political message?--that might make me want to wait and get the DVD from the library in a year. My wife has a huge crush on Jake G., should we both see it? (She hates "war films")

As far as I could tell I didnt notice any attempt to put forth a political message.

Comment

I didn't get out to this one yet, unfortunately only one other friend of mine really would want to see a war film. But with Jake G and Jamie Foxx (after Collateral, the man is a selling point for me at least) plus being a war film, I really want to see this one. A lot of good hype about it. Hopefully I'll get to it before the weekends over.
          “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Me too

I started a similar thread for this a few weeks back, but I wanted to go see it. But I am hearing it is a war film without a war and does deliver an anti war message. So I may wait for video....unless some of my brothers here at ACG can change my mind

CD
            "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

I have read several reviews so far and none of them were kind. Apparently, this "war" film has no war in it. Instead, it sort of follows the state of mind of a group of marines who never really get to do anything.
              Editor-in-Chief
              GameSquad.com

Comment

the reviews and opinions I have read say the film is fair at best...I won't bother seeing this in a theater; perhaps a rental or i'll catch it on the tele for free.
                All your ACG posts are belong to us!

Comment

Originally posted by Don Maddox
                  Apparently, this "war" film has no war in it. Instead, it sort of follows the state of mind of a group of marines who never really get to do anything.
                  Sounds like quite a few stories from Desert Storm. I know alot of vets who spent the war waiting in a warehouse.
                  If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Ughh...what a dissapointment. Very depressing.

The movie had some great moments for sure... but as a whole I disliked it.

It's 2 hours of watching Marines being portrayed as dysfunctional, disturbed, dumb and sadistic.

I know there are Marines who are all those things (just like some civilians too)...and I realize that there are moments when even some good guys get weird...but the overall feeling after two hours is that these are a bunch of patheitic losers.

I have had the honor of knowing quite a few Marines and that is such a diservice to them. They aren't angels for sure...but they are not pathetic in the slightest.

I felt very sad for the Marines I know while watching this portrayal.
                    Publisher
                    Armchair General Magazine
                    Weider History Group

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Weider
                      Ughh...what a dissapointment. Very depressing.

The movie had some great moments for sure... but as a whole I disliked it.

It's 2 hours of watching Marines being portrayed as dysfunctional, disturbed, dumb and sadistic.
                      Hey Mr. Weider!
                      Thanks for the heads up.
                      If I'm in the mood for a decent Marine Corps movie, and there are a few...
                      I'll just watch these instead......
                      1. Tribes, with Jan Michael Vincent, Earl Holliman and Darren McGavin. It's about a liberal, Democrat in bootcamp. The best.
                      2. Baby Blue Marine. Along time ago, all I know was I liked it. Like Temujin's posts. I miss that Aussie.....
                      3. Boot camp scenes over and over with Gunnery Sergeant R. Lee Ermy in
                      Full Metal Jacket. Get some!
                      4. The D.I. with Jack Webb. What a solid man. I know he was a Conservative Republican.
                      5. Gomer Pyle USMC. Wasn't a movie, but he was my role model in basic training.
                      All is not lost.....
                      Slug
                      "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Hey slug new Avatar. Thats Charles Bronson right? From what movie?

about the movie it looks like it's one movie where if you've seen the trailer you've seen the best parts of the movie. I heard the author on NPR awhile back. Hey I drive most of the day and get tired of Rush. From that interview It seemed like the guy just wanted to be a media darling and the way to do that is dog the military. He'll probably be running as dem near you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by MLaPanzer
                          Hey slug new Avatar. Thats Charles Bronson right? From what movie?

about the movie it looks like it's one movie where if you've seen the trailer you've seen the best parts of the movie. I heard the author on NPR awhile back. Hey I drive most of the day and get tired of Rush. From that interview It seemed like the guy just wanted to be a media darling and the way to do that is dog the military. He'll probably be running as dem near you soon.
                          Hey MLaPanzer!
                          What's up?
                          Yeah,
                          Someone else had Sgt. Schultz too. So I looked, at what was available and picked Charles Bronson. I thought it was from The Great Escape but a guy at work said it's from the Dirty Dozen. It looks like he has a big head. Actually I like it now. But you got dibs on Larry Storch. If I knew how, I'd try and get Gomer Pyle, Bubblebuddy, Festus, Hop Sing from Bonanza, Hoss, Herman Munster, Steve McQueen, Nick Adams, Junior Sample, Johnny Cash, Rip Taylor, Johnny Carson for The Doctor, I have a huge list.
                          Is it hard to get an avatar off the internet and use it here?
                          Slug
                          Last edited by Slug; 05 Nov 05, 22:05.
                          "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

It's pretty much like the book; which was an honest, if very biased, look at the Corps in '91.

hardcore pro-US people will hate it, anti-US will like it, and the rest of us will make our own decisions.

I'm waiting for them to make a movie of Generation Kill
                            Now listening too;
                            - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Originally posted by Slug
                              Hey MLaPanzer!
                              What's up?
                              Yeah,
                              Someone else had Sgt. Schultz too. So I looked, at what was available and picked Charles Bronson. I thought it was from The Great Escape but a guy at work said it's from the Dirty Dozen. It looks like he has a big head. Actually I like it now. But you got dibs on Larry Storch. If I knew how, I'd try and get Gomer Pyle, Bubblebuddy, Festus, Hop Sing from Bonanza, Hoss, Herman Munster, Steve McQueen, Nick Adams, Junior Sample, Johnny Cash, Rip Taylor, Johnny Carson for The Doctor, I have a huge list.
                              Is it hard to get an avatar off the internet and use it here?
                              Slug
                              I wish I could tell ya I did some great work to get it but I can't. For this one I just Googled F-troop it came up with a site that had small pic's of all the stars. I just right clicked saved the Pic. then put it up as my avatar.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X