A film question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A film question

Does anyone here know of any movie about the battle of Kursk during WW2? If so what is the title?

Just wondering since I don't think I've ever seen a war movie about it which is quite surprising given the scale and impact of the conflict to the outcome of the war.
    -----------------------------------
    Sings we a song of wolves.
    Who smells fear and slays the coward.
    Sings we a song of man.
    Who smells gold and slays his brother

Originally posted by Wolfleader
    Does anyone here know of any movie about the battle of Kursk during WW2? If so what is the title?

Just wondering since I don't think I've ever seen a war movie about it which is quite surprising given the scale and impact of the conflict to the outcome of the war.
    I don't know about that one, would be nice to see if Steve Spleiberg could direct that kind of battle in a movie. I heard he is doing a project on famous Bismarck battleship. It was famous for surviving only 277 days but with just 30 hours of combat, sinking several British warships including HMS Hood. I am real excited by this.

But even so, the gignatic battle of Kursk is much more exciting...

The thing is, I am very curious, was this initiated on part of the Soviet intelligence penetrating the German High Command and setting up the tank trap to destroy the best and most powerful panzer divisions? I've often wondered about that because of its sheer size and uniqueness.

Dan
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Germany didn't carry out the Kursk offensive due to Soviet intelligence penetrating German high command and setting them up for a massive ambush at Kursk. Hitler wanted to destroy a sizeable Russian force located at Kursk which was bulging into the German lines so he began planning for operation citadel, a massive armoured attack designed to destroy that force.

Unfortunately he kept postponing the attack until the newer tanks like the Tiger, Panther and Elefant could enter production. Because of his delays, the Russian High Command soon learned of the German plans for the region and had ample time to set up an extensive network of defences which was designed to bleed and absorb the German offensive.

Haven't heard of Spielberg doing a bismark movie. Now that I've heard about it though I certainly am looking forward to seeing it when it comes out.

Still doesn't compare to seeing a thousand German and Russian tanks duking it out at close quarters at Prokhorovka though.
      Last edited by Wolfleader; 07 Sep 03, 10:21.
      -----------------------------------
      Sings we a song of wolves.
      Who smells fear and slays the coward.
      Sings we a song of man.
      Who smells gold and slays his brother

Comment

more informations here: a page dedicated to the Kursk battle with huge OOB and TO&E

and I remotely remember seeing a movie about the Kursk battle years back on television, dont know whether it was good or not or what it's titel was, sorry.
        "The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose."

Henry Alfred Kissinger

Comment

I think Bismarck only sunk Hood, she engaged Prince of Wales at the same time as Hood but she escaped back to Scapa Flow with civilian contractors still onboard, she was that new. She engaged the cruisers Suffolk & Norfolk in the Denmark Strait, but pretty sure didn't sink any others, other than Hood.
          Monk of Darwin

Comment

The Russian forum guys here, likely could show you this one creation done in Russia about the Kursk battle. I've seen some of it (it's fricking dreadful).

Now if you go with some of the current view points about this battle, and how a lot of the early research is dreadfully inaccurate, you might be inclined to want to just avoid the matter entirely.

I've seen documentary footage of the battles during the Kursk fighting, and some of that comes out as flaky too. So you need to be very cautious about what you indulge.
            Life is change. Built models for decades.
            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk of Darwin View Post
              I think Bismarck only sunk Hood, she engaged Prince of Wales at the same time as Hood but she escaped back to Scapa Flow with civilian contractors still onboard, she was that new. She engaged the cruisers Suffolk & Norfolk in the Denmark Strait, but pretty sure didn't sink any others, other than Hood.
              correct, Bismarck only sank HMS Hood.
              Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

This a Russian movie movie about the battle of kursk called "The Liberation".

I have been unable to find the movie with English subtitles though, so I don't know if it's any good.

It was made in the 1970's so I'm sure some of the information in the movie is inaccurate.

By the way there is also a movie about the Bismarck called "Sink the Bismarck". It was very good movie for it's time, and still is worth looking at.

Comment

On YouTube there were some battle scenes from the Kursk movie. From what I recall it was one of the most expensive movies to that date produced in the USSR.

Comment

From what I saw of the film cost is not relevant, it looked every bit as bad as Battle of the Bulge.

I suppose a Russian speaking person might "enjoy" the film, after all, I never minded watching Battle of the Bulge. But, to call it any more accurate than Battle of the Bulge, is of course idiotic.
                    Life is change. Built models for decades.
                    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

What you mean a hand grenade can't knock out a Tiger tank???

With all the remakes of old movies floating around maybe they should try doing this one.
                      And make it accurate for a change.

Comment

Agreed

of all the films that i would love to be made, a movie (done right) about the Kursk battle would be phenomenal. I don't care if they use CGI, heck think of Lord of The Rings with Tanks and infantry. IT CAN BE DONE!!!
                        You just have to find someone to do it. I don't think Hollywood would do it unless they worked some angle of American involvement...which then could destroy the film.
                        Maybe in 20 years we can create our own film at home on our PC with all kinds of tanks etc! Closest thing I have is Combat Mission.

CD
                        "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

If you want a great book based on Kursk, try The Last Citadel.

Comment

A cousin sent me a tear sheet a few years back from the magazine Der Spiegel. The article detailed plans proposed by a German film company (cannot remember which) to bring the Kursk battle to the big screen via a mix of conventional cinematography and computer generated images.

Not sure how far along the project is, or even if it ever got off the ground.

I suppose we can only hope.
                            ACG QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
                            ¿Cualquier persona fija en el nude? Slug

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X