Dunkirk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunkirk

Caught this on the dish last night and was extremely disappointed. A major historical eve reduced to a series of small, mundane vignets. Not even an effort to express the fear and anxiety that must have been present as the Germans relentlessly closed in on the evacuation beaches.

And the two principle characters - cowards who threw away their weapons and ran? An unforgivable insult to everyone involved.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

I wasn't impressed. As MM noted, the main characters were deserters and one hysterical lieutenant.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Actually, we did kind of leave a bit of tackle behind when we legged it from Dunkirk!

The long toll of the brave
      Is not lost in darkness
      Over the fruitful earth
      And athwart the seas
      Hath passed the light of noble deeds
      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
        Actually, we did kind of leave a bit of tackle behind when we legged it from Dunkirk!

They got the men out, which was the important thing. The tanks you left behind were pretty obsolete as well.

I just don't think the movie did tribute to those who fought and held true to the colors.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Spitfires were good though!

Is not lost in darkness
          Over the fruitful earth
          And athwart the seas
          Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Yeah, the air combat scenes weren't bad, although I don't think the 109s started painting their noses yellow until later.

Comment

Not reflected much at all in the film. And BTW, three of the ships offshore were anchored - the cables were clearly visible.

What should have been a massive film on the order of Private Ryan or The Longest Day ended up barely generating much of anything.

Even the ending was a washout - a British pilot, who, rather than save a first-line fighter and pilot by ditching at sea, lands on the beach and gets captured.

Where was the desperate recounting of the thousands of French and British who formed the rearguard,and went into captivity for their heroism? A half dozen Germans confronting three French soldiers? In a perfectly modeled sandbagged position worthy of a military school?

Where were the thousands of vehicles, guns, kits and all of the rest abandoned by the retreating armies? I've seen photos of the Dunkirk beaches...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Bah giving this a pass...thanks for saving me a few bucks MM and Rimmer.

Maybe us history buffs should stick to pure entertainment or we'll get disappointed.

Still it can be done as one of the best miniseries I've ever watched HBOs Rome proved for example.

Comment

...And a real Blenheim.
                  "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                  Samuel Johnson.

Comment

In case anyone is interested, here is my review: http://forums.acgmag.com/showthread.php?t=178631

Comment

Originally posted by joea View Post
                      Bah giving this a pass...thanks for saving me a few bucks MM and Rimmer.
                      I saw it on HBO.

Very few war movies transcend the level of laughable, and this one didn't even come close.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Caught this on the dish last night and was extremely disappointed. A major historical eve reduced to a series of small, mundane vignets. Not even an effort to express the fear and anxiety that must have been present as the Germans relentlessly closed in on the evacuation beaches.

And the two principle characters - cowards who threw away their weapons and ran? An unforgivable insult to everyone involved.
                        Just sad.
                        I guess a movie about real courage and heroism doesn't sell to the SJW audience these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Freebird View Post
                          Just sad.
                          I guess a movie about real courage and heroism doesn't sell to the SJW audience these days.
                          To be fair there were British troops holding to their units, following orders, and fighting bravely, but only in the background. The lead (named Tommy) was a deserter who spent the entire movie relentlessly trying to flee. No waiting in line for this lad. It started with him looting French homes, and as noted, throwing away his rifle to run faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Even the ending was a washout - a British pilot, who, rather than save a first-line fighter and pilot by ditching at sea, lands on the beach and gets captured.
                            Think he ran out of juice.
                            I loved watching the aircraft gadding about, but did wonder at the wisdom of doing mental arithmetic in the cockpit, with a bit of chalk... at zero feet with 109s about!
                            As regards yellow nosed 109s some were reported at the end of the phoney war and over Dunkirk. I'm fairly certain it wasn't common practice till the height of the BofB?

Is not lost in darkness
                            Over the fruitful earth
                            And athwart the seas
                            Unquenchable forever.

Comment

My old grand dad ( WW1 Vet RN ), would have been disappointed....He took his three fishing trawlers for a Sunday afternoon trip to pick up a whole bunch of non paying passengers......I think the government sent him a "Thank you" letter....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X