Troy: Fall of a City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troy: Fall of a City

Has anyone watched this series yet? It's well done, though they took artistic liberty with Homer's epic poem.

I sure hope they will produce a series about Odysseus' epic journey. And maybe tell the story of Aeneas founding the most famous city-state in history, Rome. In a way, Rome was Troy's revenge upon Greek world. Eventually Romans did crush Sparta and the rest of Greek cities.

That is if you believe any part of Homer's stories. I don't, but like all ancient myths, they usually contain a kernel of truth.
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
    Has anyone watched this series yet? It's well done, though they took artistic liberty with Homer's epic poem.

I sure hope they will produce a series about Odysseus' epic journey. And maybe tell the story of Aeneas founding the most famous city-state in history, Rome. In a way, Rome was Troy's revenge upon Greek world. Eventually Romans did crush Sparta and the rest of Greek cities.

That is if you believe any part of Homer's stories. I don't, but like all ancient myths, they usually contain a kernel of truth.
    From memory the Spartans sided with Rome during the war with Macedonia.
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

I like that they show the backstories of some of the characters you don't normally get. Most depictions I remember usually start with Helen being taken, not persuaded, to Troy and then the Greeks had all the right to attack Troy. What really happened? Did Homer show any bias towards Greeks or Asiatics? May not follow conventional storyline but it makes for interesting reasoning. Most versions focus on the Greek side like Achilles. Never much about Paris, Cassandra, nor too much about Helen and Menelaus. Liked the fact that the Gods are shown to have a direct connection to the characters and with all the same human-like flaws. I know there's a lot of live action reproductions of the Illiad but the ones I've seen that were made more recently were either they are rushed and action-focused in film or documentary-like in TV miniseries. I think you have to have a multiple season show to better depict the Illiad and Odyssey (if they continue the story).
      The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

This will be my next watch. Thanks for the review

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
          From memory the Spartans sided with Rome during the war with Macedonia.
          Wasn't Sparta defeated by Achean League with aid of Romans? Or was it that Achean League first defeated Sparta on its own and annexed the city into the league? Then later, the League requested the aid of Romans to defeat Macedonians. In turn, Romans defeated the League and ended Greek independence until what? late 19th or early 20th century?

Okay, this means I need to refresh my memory by hitting the books. You could be right after all.
          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Wasn't Sparta defeated by Achean League with aid of Romans? Or was it that Achean League first defeated Sparta on its own and annexed the city into the league? Then later, the League requested the aid of Romans to defeat Macedonians. In turn, Romans defeated the League and ended Greek independence until what? late 19th or early 20th century?

Okay, this means I need to refresh my memory by hitting the books. You could be right after all.
            Rome and the Achaean League defeated Sparta in 195 BC. After which Rome kept Sparta as a counter to the Achaean League. Truth be told, Sparta's time as a major power was destroyed long before by Thebes at the battle of Leuctra. The Roman conquest of Macedonia in 146BC pretty much put Greece under direct Roman rule thereafter. I believe Greece achieved independence in the 1830s.
            If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

I watched the first episode some time ago. It's a sword and sandal meets Game of Thrones, with lots of 'modern mannerisms, plenty of t*ts & arses etc, and dark (interior lighting, probably to defuse the details of the romp scenes) settings.

Imo, like Game of Thrones, once bitten, twice shy.

Paul
              ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
              All human ills he can subdue,
              Or with a bauble or medal
              Can win mans heart for you;
              And many a blessing know to stew
              To make a megloamaniac bright;
              Give honour to the dainty Corse,
              The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Such as, "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts" ?
                "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Just finished watching the Series

My overall rating is a 6 out of 10.

The series should have been titled "Fate of Paris & Helena"

Was not aware that Achilles was a Noble of a Nubian ally state.
                  Perhaps the producer needed some political correctness included, to satisfy sponsors. I dunno.

The Amazon Black Sea army to support Troy was not included.
                  When you have read the book, this comes as a disappointment.

Comment

Seems a little Soap Opera-y, at least based on what I've seen so far.

Currently jumping between this and Frontier.
                    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                      Seems a little Soap Opera-y, at least based on what I've seen so far.

Currently jumping between this and Frontier.
                      Stick with Frontier, it's the better one:

8 out of 10 stars, because it's too short.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X