Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's stretched some ...

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Yes, they can, especially when the narrator is the Greek guy with the wild hair!!

"I am Groot"
    - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
      Ghost Hunters went from debunking, and doing a fairly good job at it, to "proving the existence of the paranormal" and showing us all of the usual crap these paranormal shows are known for. I'm friends with Grant from Ghost Hunters. Very nice guy, but like just about every one else, a job is a job and he made some money off of it, especially when SyFy forced them to up the fakery in order to increase the ratings.

All these shows are just out to earn some money, not to provide any real scientific discoveries.

I followed GH pretty closely for a while, because at first, the honesty was there. When things started changing for the worse, I had to give up on it. Grant got out, though after the shitstorm hit. He still does investigations, but now he's not got the pressure of a TV channel forcing him to generate revenue.
      Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
      Yes, exactly correct. The first season they were honest. After that, it gradually went downhill. Plus, it started to focus on the personalities, took on a bit of a soap opera feel, and less about the investigations.

To Old Spike. Ghost Hunters did investigations in Europe one season, or at least parts of one season. And then started a Ghost Hunters International that investigated only outside of the US. I would say though that the reason why all of those shows only do investigations in the US is simply economical. It's cheaper than flying all around the world.
      GH was all personality from the very first episode, and they dragged their scape goat(Brian) along for as long as they could. Sure he had issues but Jason and Grant were happy to kick him while he was down.

Honest is probably not the word I'd use, they were more focused on keeping things composed and throw in some rational explanations to reinforce their desire to be seen as ones who know what they are doing. It was a distinct separation from the other paranormal shows, one which has given them longevity on TV.

Grant has been caught numerous times faking stuff on the show, especially the now famous collar on his jacket getting "tugged" but at the end of the day their job is easier because they aren't really debunking, but rather pandering to an audience who already believe and seek more paranormal thrills.

They(paranormal shows) have to spice it up because the people watching become jaded very quickly, thus begins the fine line between appearing honest and avoiding exposing themselves as fakes.
      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
      Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
      Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
        GH was all personality from the very first episode, and they dragged their scape goat(Brian) along for as long as they could. Sure he had issues but Jason and Grant were happy to kick him while he was down.

Honest is probably not the word I'd use, they were more focused on keeping things composed and throw in some rational explanations to reinforce their desire to be seen as ones who know what they are doing. It was a distinct separation from the other paranormal shows, one which has given them longevity on TV.

Grant has been caught numerous times faking stuff on the show, especially the now famous collar on his jacket getting "tugged" but at the end of the day their job is easier because they aren't really debunking, but rather pandering to an audience who already believe and seek more paranormal thrills.

They(paranormal shows) have to spice it up because the people watching become jaded very quickly, thus begins the fine line between appearing honest and avoiding exposing themselves as fakes.
        Yeah, I shouldn't have used the word "honesty". That was a mistake. What I think I mean is a bit more humble in their approach. But, they were out to make money. This paranormal stuff still hasn't been proven, even with their best efforts. And they know that they still have an audience that will watch them and believe them no matter what. What that gives us is just another TV show that shouldn't be taken seriously.

I know of all the material that Grant has faked, but again, it's just a TV show as much as any other one on TV, and I don't believe much of anything that is put on TV when there's money to be earned from it. Still doesn't change my opinion of him, just lets me know that he's as human as the rest of us. Later seasons with the newcomers the fakery was even worse, and sometimes blatant (who was that Irish guy...he was a lying idiot--but, TV and all that). At the end of the day, they're all really just actors doing their parts.

I had forgotten about all of the drama generated, and all of the attacks against Brian. Ugh, not a watchable part of that show. I still can't even stand looking at Jason anymore. Now there was a con-artist if anyone was.
        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Yes, they can, especially when the narrator is the Greek guy with the wild hair!!
          No. Not him. Not ever. He's someone that triggers me very easily. I've got a pretty damned open mind when it comes to a lot of things. But ancient aliens as he presents it really, seriously damages my calm. I wouldn't believe him if he begged me to look up and see that the sky was blue.
          The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Yeah, I shouldn't have used the word "honesty". That was a mistake. What I think I mean is a bit more humble in their approach. But, they were out to make money. This paranormal stuff still hasn't been proven, even with their best efforts. And they know that they still have an audience that will watch them and believe them no matter what. What that gives us is just another TV show that shouldn't be taken seriously.

I know of all the material that Grant has faked, but again, it's just a TV show as much as any other one on TV, and I don't believe much of anything that is put on TV when there's money to be earned from it. Still doesn't change my opinion of him, just lets me know that he's as human as the rest of us. Later seasons with the newcomers the fakery was even worse, and sometimes blatant (who was that Irish guy...he was a lying idiot--but, TV and all that). At the end of the day, they're all really just actors doing their parts.

I had forgotten about all of the drama generated, and all of the attacks against Brian. Ugh, not a watchable part of that show. I still can't even stand looking at Jason anymore. Now there was a con-artist if anyone was.
            The Irish guy, that was Barry... great orator and one who built up the drama, that's for sure. I knew a lady on FB who was close friends with him, he still dabbles in the paranormal in one form or another.
            I won't argue about Grant being a great human being, I don't follow him so I don't know much, but from what I knew, he was and still is a very talented individual.
            I think the crew were out working for months at a time, filming a whole series... so it would have been tiring, especially working at night in all kinds of weather. Always hard on the other family members while they were away on assignment.
            "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
            Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
            Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
              The Irish guy, that was Barry... great orator and one who built up the drama, that's for sure. I knew a lady on FB who was close friends with him, he still dabbles in the paranormal in one form or another.
              I won't argue about Grant being a great human being, I don't follow him so I don't know much, but from what I knew, he was and still is a very talented individual.
              I think the crew were out working for months at a time, filming a whole series... so it would have been tiring, especially working at night in all kinds of weather. Always hard on the other family members while they were away on assignment.
              Grant will continue to be a great human being until he does something to change my opinion of him, of course. And playing a character on a TV show isn't necessarily enough to do that. Usually.

I do remember some negative issues that were brought up about going on further and longer investigations in regards to their families. Real or not, that isn't something that I'd want to have happen.

As for Barry...guess he was doing his job right if it got me riled up enough every time he helped in an investigation. The castle incident...ugh.

I actually want to go on an investigation. I don't believe in this stuff, and there hasn't been any single piece of evidence to support it, but I'm game to be proven wrong (it happens once or twice a year) and maybe it will be kinda fun. Can't hear worth a damn, so their "spooky, disembodied voices" tricks won't work on me too well (and I may not tell them that). The rest I can do.

Has anyone watch the Lowe Files on A&E? Rob Lowe and his sons doing their own investigations? They never proved anything of course, and the science used was abysmal, but father-and-sons interactions were pretty entertaining. There's a character on that show they called Shaman Jon (John? Bob?) or something. He's was an out-and-out liar...but everyone else was likable enough.

Comment

Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
                To Old Spike. Ghost Hunters did investigations in Europe one season, or at least parts of one season. And then started a Ghost Hunters International that investigated only outside of the US. I would say though that the reason why all of those shows only do investigations in the US is simply economical. It's cheaper than flying all around the world.
                Yes I remember a couple of US ghost shows that briefly came to Britain but found nothing, I suppose their budget plays a big part in their travels, but Europe is where most ghosts hang and a genuine authentic capture of a ghost on film would make up for the expense.
                PS- I live on the 3rd floor of small apartment block in Plymouth UK's old waterfront district, the block is built on where the old Welchman's Arms pub used to stand. The guy who lived alone on the ground floor moved out last year in a state of nervous tension, I used to hear him shouting "Shut up, shut up!", so maybe he was hearing voices from the past of sailors singing sea shanties or whatever..
                We other tenants thought he had Tourette's or something and were too embarrassed to ask him but I wish I'd have asked him to explain exactly what he was hearing.
                PS again- Regarding shows that allegedly fake stuff, we all hate fakery of course but at least they have the guts to be locked overnight in places so at least we can give them a bit of credit for that.
                For example one woman investigator actually lay on the mortuary slab in the old Allegheny insane asylum..

Comment

Originally posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
                  Yes I remember a couple of US ghost shows that briefly came to Britain but found nothing, I suppose their budget plays a big part in their travels, but Europe is where most ghosts hang and a genuine authentic capture of a ghost on film would make up for the expense.
                  Meh. I'm sure ghost's don't actually have a favorite place to congregate. And I'll assume that the actual number of ghosts--if they were real--would be set according to the populations that have lived and died in the specific areas in question.

PS- I live on the 3rd floor of small apartment block in Plymouth UK's old waterfront district, the block is built on where the old Welchman's Arms pub used to stand. The guy who lived alone on the ground floor moved out last year in a state of nervous tension, I used to hear him shouting "Shut up, shut up!", so maybe he was hearing voices from the past of sailors singing sea shanties or whatever..
                  We other tenants thought he had Tourette's or something and were too embarrassed to ask him but I wish I'd have asked him to explain exactly what he was hearing.
                  Most likely he was having some mental issues.

PS again- Regarding shows that allegedly fake stuff, we all hate fakery of course but at least they have the guts to be locked overnight in places so at least we can give them a bit of credit for that.
                  For example one woman investigator actually lay on the mortuary slab in the old Allegheny insane asylum..
                  I'm not sure how that's anything special in general, but I know I could do that, easily. However...crawl spaces and the type our out for me.

Comment

No. Not him. Not ever. He's someone that triggers me very easily. I've got a pretty damned open mind when it comes to a lot of things. But ancient aliens as he presents it really, seriously damages my calm. I wouldn't believe him if he begged me to look up and see that the sky was blue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
                      ..And I'll assume that the actual number of ghosts--if they were real--would be set according to the populations that have lived and died in the specific areas in question..
                      Good point, maybe the atoms of buildings are like CD's or tapes that "record" events that happened there, then "play them back" at random times in the future.
                      The fictional TV film 'The Stone Tape' explored the idea, basically a high-tech electronics company rent an old country house to work on non-paranormal projects, and soon discover that the place has got a ghost, so they switch all their efforts into triggering it.
                      Pick it up at 13:30-
                      THE STONE TAPE- https://youtu.be/vtvJWKaDI9s

SPOILER ALERT!- The ghost is that of a Victorian serving maid who fell screaming off a flight of steps, but the team forget to wonder what made her scream and fall in the first place..
                      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069316/

Comment

• Originally posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
                        Good point, maybe the atoms of buildings are like CD's or tapes that "record" events that happened there, then "play them back" at random times in the future.
                        The fictional TV film 'The Stone Tape' explored the idea, basically a high-tech electronics company rent an old country house to work on non-paranormal projects, and soon discover that the place has got a ghost, so they switch all their efforts into triggering it.
                        Pick it up at 13:30-
                        THE STONE TAPE- https://youtu.be/vtvJWKaDI9s

SPOILER ALERT!- The ghost is that of a Victorian serving maid who fell screaming off a flight of steps, but the team forget to wonder what made her scream and fall in the first place..
                        http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069316/
                        Gravity. Apparently, it kills.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
                          So that's what I did wrong...

Comment

• PoorOldSpike quote- the team forget to wonder what made her scream and fall in the first place..
                            -------------------------------------------------------------
                            Congrats mate, that was almost funny..

Another interesting thing about 'The Stone Tape' was that when the ghost appeared, some of the team could see it but others couldn't even though they were all in the same room.
                            That could be because of the "Sheep and Goats" phenomenon which I mentioned earlier in this sensational thread, which indicates only open-minded people can experience paranormal incidents, whereas skeptics can't.
                            I'd even go a step further and speculate that skeptical negative vibes scuppered Jesus's attempts to do miracles because in some towns-
                            "..he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief" (Matt 13:58 )

And when he went to bring a little girl back to life in Mark 5:35+ he had to kick the skeptics out of the room, and just let her parents and a few disciples stay. He said-
                            "The child is not dead but asleep” but they laughed at him.
                            After he put them all out, he took the child’s father and mother and the disciples who were with him, and went in where the child was. He took her by the hand and said to her, "Get up little girl".
                            Immediately the girl stood up and began to walk around"

How about it Oddball?

"It was them positive vibes that did it man"
                            Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 09 Apr 18, 05:45.

Comment

• It's all bollocks innit, but still entertaining bollocks for all that! There's a ghost of a dead pilot who haunts the Watch Tower at East Kirkby Heritage Centre. He's seen walking into the building at night and teacups have been heard mysteriously rattling. A tough looking bloke said it was hogwash and was invited to spend the night locked in the building. Being ex SAS (aren't they always!) he agreed...
                              next morning, at crack o' dawn, the door was unlocked and he ran out a gibbering wreck who's hair had turned snowhite overnight!
                              They did one of them ghost programs set in at East Kirkby, the night they did it every Bomber Command ghost in Lincolnshire rocked up!

The long toll of the brave
                              Is not lost in darkness
                              Over the fruitful earth
                              And athwart the seas
                              Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                              Unquenchable forever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
                                Congrats mate, that was almost funny..
                                No, it is funny.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X