No announcement yet.

Paranormal TV shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PoorOldSpike wrote- By this time Clary was a big TV star, so maybe prayer-power had something to do with it?..
    ---------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
    That's not evidence of anything, and it's not looking at the entire picture.
    Right, it could just be coincidence like you said.
    We know prayer doesn't always work, for example Jesus knew he was going to be executed tomorrow and asked God to get him out of it, but it didn't work because it was "God's plan" that he had to die.

Comment

Originally posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
      PoorOldSpike wrote- By this time Clary was a big TV star, so maybe prayer-power had something to do with it?..
      ---------------------------------------------

Right, it could just be coincidence like you said.
      We know prayer doesn't always work, for example Jesus knew he was going to be executed tomorrow and asked God to get him out of it, but it didn't work because it was "God's plan" that he had to die.
      Right...the same "god" that decimated the Egyptians on behalf of Moses. Not very consistent, was he?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Right...the same "god" that decimated the Egyptians on behalf of Moses. Not very consistent, was he?
        I'm not sure I follow you mate, Pharaoh was keeping the Israelites as slaves, so God sent Moses to tell him to let them go or he'd be in a world o' hurt.
        Pharoah disregarded the warning so he got his ass busted..

Comment

Originally posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
          I'm not sure I follow you mate, Pharaoh was keeping the Israelites as slaves, so God sent Moses to tell him to let them go or he'd be in a world o' hurt.
          Pharoah disregarded the warning so he got his ass busted..
          Same "god" that worried about Moses' didn't mind killing his own son?

Oh, please...

And now...back to supernatural television shows!

Comment

And now...back to supernatural television shows!
            Okay.

They're all rubbish. But sometimes they can be entertaining.
            The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

As to all the paranormal shows...you know, the topic of the thread.

If you're not there to see with your own eyes, you ultimately have to trust the people that are there. Personally, I don't trust 99% of them. Case in point.

I watched the first 4 or 5 seasons of Ghost Hunters. That's the show that started the current wave of paranormal shows. It changed dramatically from the first season to the second...after it became a big hit. The first season they only did people's houses, things like that. From the second season on it was almost nothing but, what could best be described as, tourist sites. Aircraft carriers, prisons, restaurants, light houses. It was obvious that, in some of the cases, the places they were investigating were just looking for free advertising.

Another way the show changed was in the people on the investigation team. After the first season, most of the originals slowly leave the show. They were all true believers, they believe 100% in the existence of ghosts, and had done ghost investigations for years before the show started. When the producers of the show got them to start faking evidence, or recreating evidence, the originals started leaving because of it. The original members of the investigation team viewed the faking, or recreating, of evidence as betraying their integrity.

One of the originals on the show...I believe her name is Donna...has stated that they faked stuff, or at the very least, recreated stuff. Now to be fair, she later backtracked on that. She wouldn't say they didn't fake stuff, she just dodged the issue. Apparently, when they agreed to be on the show, they all signed a non-disclosure agreement with the production company. When she started talking, the lawyers paid her a visit, she stopped talking. You can figure the rest out for yourself.

One of the two lead guys, Grant, once said that 80% of the places they investigate, they can either debunk the haunting, or they don't find anything. Now if you have a tv show based on ghost hunting, people who watch the show want to see evidence of ghosts. If 80% of your shows come up as a dry well, how long are people going to keep watching? Not very long. So the incentive is there to fake stuff, or have your show canceled do to low ratings.

If you watch some of the other shows, like Ghost Adventures, you can see the same pattern developing. The reason why the guy on Paranormal Lockdown left Ghost Adventures, is because he disagreed with the others on faking/recreating evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
                Ghost Hunters...When the producers of the show got them to start faking evidence, or recreating evidence, the originals started leaving because of it..
                Good for them, as a Christian truth-lover I'd have left in disgust too and whistleblown to the media about it..
                Besides some ghost shows, most "factual" TV shows are faked in one way or another too, for example even David Attenborough's much-acclaimed wildlife shows fake things from time to time and angry viewers don't like it. His and the producers "excuse" is that they're primarily "entertainment" shows (as if that gives them the right to fake it). Incidentally Attenborough is an atheist..
                PS- I live in 600-year-old cobbled New Street, Plymouth, England, in the ancient waterfront area, one of Britain's most haunted locations, the street is only 200 yards long yet at the last count there were 6 ghosts at different premises up and down the street but I've never seen or experienced one apart from a few trivial incidents that might have ordinary explanations.
                I don't know if any TV ghost shows have ever visited the street but the council run "Ghost Walks" where a guide takes groups of people (below) along the street at night-

Below:-New St in daylight, that building behind the two blokes is the famous "Island House" where the Pilgrim Fathers stayed before going off to invent America.
                US tourists lurv the street and ask me "Hey bud, does this street pre-date the English Civil War?"
                "Yes mate" I reply, "in fact it pre-dates America"..

Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 03 Apr 18, 20:33.

Comment

Okay.

Like a number of people I know!

Comment

If your cattle in Colorado were being messed with, wouldn't you want to open-mindedly explore EVERY possible cause including aliens, or would you tell the ranchers they were just imagining it?

"In his life in the piñon-patched pastures where his father and grandfather raised cattle, the 72-year-old Sanchez has seen mountain lions and coyotes kill cattle, elk and deer. He’s seen birds scavenge carcasses. He’s heard of thieves slaughtering livestock in the field for their meat. He can’t explain what he saw last month..."
                    https://www.denverpost.com/2009/12/0...-ufo-believer/
                    Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 04 Apr 18, 20:30.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
                        As to all the paranormal shows...you know, the topic of the thread.

If you're not there to see with your own eyes, you ultimately have to trust the people that are there. Personally, I don't trust 99% of them. Case in point.

I watched the first 4 or 5 seasons of Ghost Hunters. That's the show that started the current wave of paranormal shows. It changed dramatically from the first season to the second...after it became a big hit. The first season they only did people's houses, things like that. From the second season on it was almost nothing but, what could best be described as, tourist sites. Aircraft carriers, prisons, restaurants, light houses. It was obvious that, in some of the cases, the places they were investigating were just looking for free advertising.

Another way the show changed was in the people on the investigation team. After the first season, most of the originals slowly leave the show. They were all true believers, they believe 100% in the existence of ghosts, and had done ghost investigations for years before the show started. When the producers of the show got them to start faking evidence, or recreating evidence, the originals started leaving because of it. The original members of the investigation team viewed the faking, or recreating, of evidence as betraying their integrity.

One of the originals on the show...I believe her name is Donna...has stated that they faked stuff, or at the very least, recreated stuff. Now to be fair, she later backtracked on that. She wouldn't say they didn't fake stuff, she just dodged the issue. Apparently, when they agreed to be on the show, they all signed a non-disclosure agreement with the production company. When she started talking, the lawyers paid her a visit, she stopped talking. You can figure the rest out for yourself.

One of the two lead guys, Grant, once said that 80% of the places they investigate, they can either debunk the haunting, or they don't find anything. Now if you have a tv show based on ghost hunting, people who watch the show want to see evidence of ghosts. If 80% of your shows come up as a dry well, how long are people going to keep watching? Not very long. So the incentive is there to fake stuff, or have your show canceled do to low ratings.

If you watch some of the other shows, like Ghost Adventures, you can see the same pattern developing. The reason why the guy on Paranormal Lockdown left Ghost Adventures, is because he disagreed with the others on faking/recreating evidence.
                        Ghost Hunters went from debunking, and doing a fairly good job at it, to "proving the existence of the paranormal" and showing us all of the usual crap these paranormal shows are known for. I'm friends with Grant from Ghost Hunters. Very nice guy, but like just about every one else, a job is a job and he made some money off of it, especially when SyFy forced them to up the fakery in order to increase the ratings.

All these shows are just out to earn some money, not to provide any real scientific discoveries.

I followed GH pretty closely for a while, because at first, the honesty was there. When things started changing for the worse, I had to give up on it. Grant got out, though after the shitstorm hit. He still does investigations, but now he's not got the pressure of a TV channel forcing him to generate revenue.
                        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Like a number of people I know!

Comment

Another thing about US shows is that they tend to stick in the brandnew country of America instead of coming to olde Europe where most ghosts hang.
                            America is only a few centuries old, whereas there are ancient sites in England dating back thousands of years, so when an American team say "This week we're going to investigate a 150-year-old house in Dodge City", it doesn't have quite the same ring to it as if they said "We're going to investigate a 4000-year-old burial chamber near Stonehenge"..

Comment

Ghost Hunters went from debunking, and doing a fairly good job at it, to "proving the existence of the paranormal" and showing us all of the usual crap these paranormal shows are known for. I'm friends with Grant from Ghost Hunters. Very nice guy, but like just about every one else, a job is a job and he made some money off of it, especially when SyFy forced them to up the fakery in order to increase the ratings.

All these shows are just out to earn some money, not to provide any real scientific discoveries.

I followed GH pretty closely for a while, because at first, the honesty was there. When things started changing for the worse, I had to give up on it. Grant got out, though after the shitstorm hit. He still does investigations, but now he's not got the pressure of a TV channel forcing him to generate revenue.
                              Yes, exactly correct. The first season they were honest. After that, it gradually went downhill. Plus, it started to focus on the personalities, took on a bit of a soap opera feel, and less about the investigations.

To Old Spike. Ghost Hunters did investigations in Europe one season, or at least parts of one season. And then started a Ghost Hunters International that investigated only outside of the US. I would say though that the reason why all of those shows only do investigations in the US is simply economical. It's cheaper than flying all around the world.

Comment

Okay.

Yes, they can, especially when the narrator is the Greek guy with the wild hair!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X