Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It sucks being deaf - can't watch Black Panther

I need to vent my frustration here.

I went to see the Black Panther at a local movie theater, just to see what's so special about the movie with massive hype surrounding its racial and political overtones. Unfortunately, I could not do that. Why? Because closed captioning devices did not work properly. I exchanged the devices three times and closed captioning did not function as intended.

It sucks being deaf.

The movie theater was nice enough to give me two guest passes. I'll probably go again, this time to a different auditorium where hopefully closed captioning works.

Felt like I wasted my time. I think after this, I'll just stick with waiting for digital release of the movie online.
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Happens to me also, frustrating indeed. I have to use a DVD with headphones to catch up on what I missed in the cinema.
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

Comment

bummer cheetah...........

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post

I went to see the Black Panther at a local movie theater, just to see what's so special about the movie with massive hype surrounding its racial and political overtones. Unfortunately, I could not do that. Why? Because closed captioning devices did not work properly. I exchanged the devices three times and closed captioning did not function as intended.

It sucks being deaf.

The movie theater was nice enough to give me two guest passes. I'll probably go again, this time to a different auditorium where hopefully closed captioning works.

Felt like I wasted my time. I think after this, I'll just stick with waiting for digital release of the movie online.
        How does closed captioning work/what does it mean? Wasn't there subtitles?
        Wisdom is personal

Comment

It sucks being deaf.

And I think at times I have it bad. Your post puts things in perspective. Obv you overcame your obstacle tremendously, something I and so many can learn from. Seems your a self made guy, dont get down on yourself.

Maybe try a different theater, and btw you should be refunded by the first theater.

My God grant you happiness, a good guy like you deserves it.

One day God willing blindness and deafness can be overcame.
          Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
          Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
            How does closed captioning work/what does it mean? Wasn't there subtitles?
            The device displays the captions on screen, which is received as a signal from a machine (perhaps the movie projector? I'm not sure). The digital files on hand already have the captions written in, but are not shown on the big onscreen because it's a distraction for hearing viewers.

For deaf viewers like me, we prefer open-captioned movies. Open-captioning means subtitles are displayed prominently onto the big screen. No need for a special device. However, open-captioned movies are rare and only shown on special days at certain times.

Here's a good article on describes what the device is and the problems associated with it.

http://www.abc.net.au/rampup/article...09/3666873.htm
            Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

I'm deaf in one ear, so I only hear half the dialogue of a movie....

(no rimshot?)

Yeah, I sympathize with you. I certainly hope that I never go fully deaf.
              The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

The device displays the captions on screen, which is received as a signal from a machine (perhaps the movie projector? I'm not sure). The digital files on hand already have the captions written in, but are not shown on the big onscreen because it's a distraction for hearing viewers.
                Although hearing viewers don't seem to be distracted by on screen sub titles when used to translate dialog from non English speaking characters
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X