Thor Ragnarok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thor Ragnarok

Last night I took my two boys to see this movie. We really enjoyed it, and therefore a few thoughts.

Spoiler Warning.

It has been said by others Thor Ragnarok is the best of the three Thor movies. But then in context of the Marvel franchise, that constitutes a rather low bar. I agree with the former.

One criticism leveled against the movie targeted the plethora of comedic material included. It is true, Thor Ragnarok follows the pattern of the Guardians movies, characters engaged in desperate conflict yet never seeming to take it seriously, only amplified. However a portion of that is due to the pacing as well. This movie moves fast, there is little to no down time and certainly no introspective calm interludes designed to prepare the audience for the conflict to come. The conflict just continues to rattle past with few interruptions. Thor and Loki go from Asgard to New York to Norway and the death of Odin to the appearance of Hela to smashing his hammer to Sakara with breakneck speed, allowing neither the characters nor the audience time to fully assimilate what has just happened before something else equally or perhaps more profound occurs. However all of it is shrouded in a comedic fog, as the jokes continue to rattle past with equal speed.

Some of them are quite funny, reflecting actual humor as opposed to typical Hollywood gutter-snipe fare. I thought the scene where Thor is locked in a chair moving down a conveyor line with Disney music playing in the background brilliant, as was the obligatory Stan Lee cameo. Although brief the barber bit constitutes one of Lee's best on screen moments. Consequently I considered the comedic nature of the film appropriate and effective overall.

The Thor-Hulk arena battle scene was incredibly well done. The previews do not do it justice. I also appreciated the subtle manner in which Hulk's ability to discourse with others is explained, embedded in the fact he has been the Hulk for some two years now. Only a chance viewing of Black Widow brings him back to Banner status and subsequently having to be dressed in Tony Stark's clothes.

In regard to the overall tone and scope of the film, it was constructed to fit the Guardians mold. The special effects met or surpassed Marvel's usual standard and were reminiscent of the first Guardians film. The Ride of the Valkyrie scene was beautiful, one of those movie moments which demands large screen viewing, and suffered only from being too short.

However that brings me to my one criticism of the film. Hela as a character was effectively portrayed, one of the best villains to appear in the Marvel Universe. The problem is she was just another one-off villain, and Marvel movies are replete with temporary one-off villains. Hela's character, as portrayed in the film, easily placed her in a category of villainy far surpassing the likes of Darth Vader or Darth Maul or Darth Doodad or the cartoonish villain from 300 or any of the idiots featured in the Mission Impossible series or indeed Ronan or even Loki. She was more on a par with Khan (the original Khan, not the Khan of the crappy remake), or the Nebula from the first Guardians movie. Hela truly embraced and illustrated the precept true evil stems from unbridled hate. She wore the title "Goddess of Death" with maniacal and sinister pride, and would have reasonably served as the perfect constant thorn endeavoring to undermine the inherent good as established in the Marvel Universe. Alas...

Although it is true her actual death is not shown. The audience is meant to assume she must have been killed when Surtur crashed his giant sword down upon her, or when Surtur sliced up all of Asgard, or when what remained of Asgard blew up. But as none of those conditions were portrayed, perhaps she will appear in Infinity Wars as the Hand of Thanos.

I tend to think that will happen.

As for the end credit scene, it does serve as the only direct tie to Infinity Wars. Thor, Loki, and what remains of Asgard are overtaken by what can only be Thanos' ship. I noticed that one line Hela is heard to speak in the trailer for this film is not actually used in the final product, the line "Asgard is dead." Hela did not come to destroy Asgard, and indeed did not. She sought to rule it along with all the Nine Realms. Yet the end credit scene implied her proclamation "Asgard is dead" would be fulfilled at that moment. Thanos is not known for taking prisoners.

My final comment at this time. Thor Ragnarok was a fun movie. I believe it was meant to be just that, a more lighthearted romp timed to satisfy Marvel's core audience prior to the release of the first Infinity Wars offering. If you have not seen this film yet, go. It is well worth the time and money.

Sure, one can nit-pick it. Doctor Strange's time on screen amounted to little more than a slightly extended rehash of the mid-credit scene from his movie, Skurge was a pro-forma character who truly served little purpose, and Banner/Hulk was a bit whiney. But overall I rate this film a success. If you enjoyed the original Thor and/or either of the two Guardians films, you will enjoy this.
    Last edited by Martok; 09 Nov 17, 01:33.

I'll read your post after we see it this weekend. My wife and I actually like the Thor movies the best out of the solo Avengers movies.

Ever since we saw the preview when we went to see Guardians II, we have been looking forward to Ragnarok. The Guardians movies have quickly become out favorite Marvel movies... So the fact that it's Guardians-like makes me want to see it even more!
    Last edited by The Doctor; 08 Nov 17, 17:29.
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

I believe you will enjoy it, Doc.

Comment

I went to see the movie a couple of night ago. Great movie to turn your mind off and just let it flow with the story telling. My wife is not a fan of the Marvel or DC movies, but enjoyed this one.

Comment

I saw it, and I'm torn whether that, Spider-Man or Logan were the best movies this year. It was better than GotG2 for sure, and I enjoyed that movie.
          The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

I really enjoyed a more Asgard and Thor oriented movie, which seems the other Thor movies were about Thor somewhere else and not so much about the history of Asgard, Odin, Thor and Loki. I didn't even know about Hella (never read the comics). Seems the other Thor movies were about Thor on earth or other planets and it was nice to see them bring it back home and focus on their mythologies. The interaction of Loki and Thor was enjoyable as usually I feel frustrated with him (as he's supposed to) but he actually did well as a "good" guy. The Valkrie was a pleasant surprise and the gate keeper guy. Nice to see minor characters making a difference. Probably my favorite Marvel movie yet.
            The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

Originally posted by Martok View Post
              I believe you will enjoy it, Doc.

Fracking awesome!
              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

saw it today. pretty decent flick.

Comment

Does Thor really get rescued by the Guardians of the Galaxy?

Comment

Originally posted by Merkava188 View Post
                    Does Thor really get rescued by the Guardians of the Galaxy?
                    Not in Ragnarok... But, maybe in Avengers: Infinity War...

Comment

Best part was when Thor was beating the demons by twirling his hammer.

Comment

Saw it last night, really enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X