Who are your favorite public intellectuals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are your favorite public intellectuals

My choice in no order and not conclusive.

Steven Pinker, Victor Davis Hanson, Jordan Peterson, Sam Harris, Daniel Dennett, Ian Morris, Jared Diamond, Charles Murray, Gad Saad, and my least favorite has to be Noam Chomsky.
    We hunt the hunters

Michio Kaku is one of my favorites.
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

My namesake.

Comment

Michio Kaku is a theoretical physicist; a field in which, by definiton, proves absolutely nothing. If anything, it allows the physicist to boast about a logical mathematical consistency, but in the end, it's a field of science that cannot assert any relevant claims such as "truth". Such other studies in this field include the possibility of a holographic universe, or that the unvierse is not exapnding, but simply gaining density, etc. In terms of scientific or intellectual relevance, Theoretical Physics is on par with Philosophy. Michio would never respectably make a claim of absolute truth using entirely hypothetical variables.

https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/com...god_discovery/
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          Michio Kaku is a theoretical physicist; a field in which, by definiton, proves absolutely nothing. If anything, it allows the physicist to boast about a logical mathematical consistency, but in the end, it's a field of science that cannot assert any relevant claims such as "truth". Such other studies in this field include the possibility of a holographic universe, or that the unvierse is not exapnding, but simply gaining density, etc. In terms of scientific or intellectual relevance, Theoretical Physics is on par with Philosophy. Michio would never respectably make a claim of absolute truth using entirely hypothetical variables.

https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/com...god_discovery/
          Einstein was a theoretical physicist. Over the last century or so he has proved to have been on the money in most instances even though it has taken quite a long time to develop instrumentation to detect and measure the accuracy of some of his predictions (eg gravity waves).
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

During my adult life: Milton Friedman.

If I have to pick a currently living "public intellectual"... probably Bjorn Lomborg, Vaclav Smil, Judith Curry or Robert Bryce.
            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Teller

Comment

In my lifetime George Gamow A theoretical astrophysicist but also a bit of a polymath who was the early proponent of the Big Bang theory but also did valuable early work on neutron stars. He also assisted Watson and Crick in explaining the mechanism of RNA. Wrote many clear and understandable science books for the general public. I still have a copy of The Biography of the Earth given to me as a Christmas present by an American aunt when I was nine.

To slightly misquote Groucho "Why its so easy a nine year old child could understand it"
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Brian Green is another guy who's up there.

Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

least favourite public "intellectual"?

This schmuck..

Comment

The term "public intellectuals" is an oxymoron.

People need to learn to think for themselves, not passively absorb their viewpoints from those on television..."the wasteland of the mind," which is entirely based on the lowest common denominator of intelligence.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        The term "public intellectuals" is an oxymoron.

People need to learn to think for themselves, not passively absorb their viewpoints from those on television..."the wasteland of the mind," which is entirely based on the lowest common denominator of intelligence.
                        Oxymoron is the first thing that popped into my head when I read the title of this thread. You don't get to be in the public eye without saying things that people want to hear. It's why the same politicians get elected over and over and we all know how that works out.
                        “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                        ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Who ever came up with this sport,

Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                          Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Mine is Alex JonesMaybe Rush
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Socrates I believe has been the model for public intellectual in the West. The fact that the public had him killed perhaps explains why so few scholars address the public directly. Most do not even write for public consumption. In this day of political correctness many will not even defend intellectual standards.

BTW thanks for the feedback as I'm always curious about who the current thinkers are.
                              We hunt the hunters

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X