The Orville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Orville

Starting tonight, a Star Trek style uniforms and all) comedy about a starship named the Orville.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Everything I've heard is it's underwhelming. It's poor parody mixed with Seth McFarland's usual toilet humor.

Comment

I just watched it and it was okay. At least they tried to be humorous. I didn't lol but am willing to watch the next part...
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Same here, and hopefully it will develop a little more zing.

Comment

The Orville is a piece of crap passing itself of as Star Trek. This show is probably worse than Galaxy Quest.

Comment

At least Galaxy Quest had Tim Allen! I doubt Seth MacFarland measures up to Tim.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I watched the first episode. It was a bit schizophrenic trying to introduce all the characters and whatnot. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either. The jokes and such were more subtle than I expected they would be.

I do like that the ship is named after Orville Wright, but that's a subtle joke MacFarlane made. You see it towards the end of the episode because he's got a little Wright flyer airplane model on his desk...

Maybe it will settle down, maybe it won't. I think 3 or 4 episodes would be fair.

Comment

Saw it, and as a Trekkie myself, I liked it. The humor was a bit drier than I expected from MacFarlane.

I think I will give it a try. Maybe a few episodes before tuning out to watch Star Trek: Discovery which will be aired on Sept 24.

It's not so great but not so bad either. It'll probably get cancelled soon.
                Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Saw the second episode last night - terrible.

Comment

I didn't think it was terrible. It was still schizophrenic. Too many subplots going on at once. It's an hour show and it simply doesn't give time to anything going on where you really get into the story and characters.
                    Many of the jokes, and sight gags were too subtle. I'm still trying to figure out what significance the Kermit the Frog plushy has...

Comment

I saw it last night. It was okay. I have never seen Ariadne Palicki do comedy before and she just may be able to do it. I keep waiting for the same character in John Wick to come out. I got just about all the gags. Halston Sage needs better scripts! Seth MacFarlane is playing low key, but I see he is imitating Bill Shatner... I guess I will end with saying Bortus laid an egg?

Pruitt
                      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Too much attention to the ex-wife relationship dynamic. It's really tiresome ... Not terribly funny, but has it's moments. I'm on the edge with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                          Too much attention to the ex-wife relationship dynamic. It's really tiresome ... Not terribly funny, but has it's moments. I'm on the edge with this one.
                          It is one of several pairings of actors in the show to be foils for one and other. Another are what amounts to "Carl and Lenny" (Simpsons) at the helm. What the show currently lacks is a central character around which all the mayhem and comedy revolves.

Big Bang = Sheldon (it originally was supposed to be Leonard)
                          Simpsons = Homer
                          Seinfeld = Jerry Seinfeld

Without a central character, it becomes a series of disconnected (hence my characterizing it as schizophrenic) bit pieces that relate only in a casual way. So far Seth Macfarlane has been unable to make his captain character into such a role. Maybe it will happen, but it better happen soon or the show is doomed.

Once the show is established and people know the characters, the writers can go off on the occasional tangent as everyone is now familiar with things and an episode or two that doesn't have the central character as such is a nice switch up. But, you can't go there right off. You have to establish the characters first.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                            I saw it last night. It was okay. I have never seen Ariadne Palicki do comedy before and she just may be able to do it. I keep waiting for the same character in John Wick to come out. I got just about all the gags. Halston Sage needs better scripts! Seth MacFarlane is playing low key, but I see he is imitating Bill Shatner... I guess I will end with saying Bortus laid an egg?

Pruitt
                            You do know that McFarlane is the show's creator, right?

Comment

I came into with low expectations and was semi pleased that they're at least making some new scifi. Tv is pretty barren right now...
                              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X