Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original Star Trek's Best Episode?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Original Star Trek's Best Episode?

    While the original Star Trek series had numerous well done episodes, I think the best is Balance Of Terror. This is the episode where the Enterprise encounters a cloaked Romulan Warbird that has attacked and destroyed multiple neutral zone outposts. Playing the Romulan commander is Mark Lenard who played Spock's father in later episodes of the series. The episode closely mirrors the 1957 movie, The Enemy Below in that it gives the perspectives of both antagonists. And like the German commander of the U-Boat in TEB, the Romulan commander is shown as war weary and sympathetic character. And there is a well done subplot about 2 crewmembers on the Enterprise about to get married who's wedding is interrupted by the looming battle between the two ships.(you can guess how that turns out) And since this is the 14th episode of Season 1, we know who wins.

    This is my entry for the best episode of the original series. I'm sure you guys have other favorites, so please name them and tell us why.

    No poll as there are too many episodes to list for a poll.

    And as an aside, the worst episode just might be, imho, The Cloud Minders from Season 3. It's just awful. Hard to believe that it's from the same series as Balance Of Terror.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

  • #2
    that's a good one.....battle between the spaceships/etc
    my favorite is The Doomsday Machine
    ..William Windom does a great job as Matt Decker...I've seen him in other movies and show....he was with the 82AB in WW2 !
    ..the build up, problems, and tension just before Kirk beams back to the Enterprise is well done

    Comment


    • #3
      Fourth season was the best one.
      Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
      Hyperwar, Whats New
      World War II Resources
      The best place in the world to "work".

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
        While the original Star Trek series had numerous well done episodes, I think the best is Balance Of Terror. This is the episode where the Enterprise encounters a cloaked Romulan Warbird that has attacked and destroyed multiple neutral zone outposts. Playing the Romulan commander is Mark Lenard who played Spock's father in later episodes of the series. The episode closely mirrors the 1957 movie, The Enemy Below in that it gives the perspectives of both antagonists. And like the German commander of the U-Boat in TEB, the Romulan commander is shown as war weary and sympathetic character. And there is a well done subplot about 2 crewmembers on the Enterprise about to get married who's wedding is interrupted by the looming battle between the two ships.(you can guess how that turns out) And since this is the 14th episode of Season 1, we know who wins.

        This is my entry for the best episode of the original series. I'm sure you guys have other favorites, so please name them and tell us why.

        No poll as there are too many episodes to list for a poll.

        And as an aside, the worst episode just might be, imho, The Cloud Minders from Season 3. It's just awful. Hard to believe that it's from the same series as Balance Of Terror.
        Originally posted by Moulin View Post
        that's a good one.....battle between the spaceships/etc
        my favorite is The Doomsday Machine
        ..William Windom does a great job as Matt Decker...I've seen him in other movies and show....he was with the 82AB in WW2 !
        ..the build up, problems, and tension just before Kirk beams back to the Enterprise is well done
        Two of my all time favorite episodes...

        Other than Balance of Terror and The Doomsday Machine... I would pick The City on the Edge of Forever... Spock: I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bearskins.



        https://youtu.be/yfJXd0rSCqo
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

        Comment


        • #5
          Mirror, mirror is one of my faves.

          http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3iuzgv
          Credo quia absurdum.


          Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

          Comment


          • #6
            I've always been partial to "A Piece of the Action."

            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Piec...riginal_Series)

            Comment


            • #7
              Mine has to be "What of Lazarus".

              "So you are the madman who wants to destroy the world.."
              " Or he is, depends on your perspective doesn't it...!"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
                I've always been partial to "A Piece of the Action."

                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Piec...riginal_Series)
                Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                Mirror, mirror is one of my faves.

                http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3iuzgv
                Originally posted by Darth Holliday View Post
                Mine has to be "What of Lazarus".

                "So you are the madman who wants to destroy the world.."
                " Or he is, depends on your perspective doesn't it...!"
                Maybe it would be easier to pick the worst episode!

                So far, every episode listed here is a best episode.
                Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The worst one imo is that stupid gladiator one.

                  Stinky.
                  Credo quia absurdum.


                  Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                    Maybe it would be easier to pick the worst episode!

                    So far, every episode listed here is a best episode.
                    it had a wide variety .... one of it's advantages
                    ..I just watched ''The Galileo Seven'' episode about Spock, with a few others, land on a planet with giant ''cavemen'' with giant spears/etc...seems kind of weird, but well done.....not the best, but keeps you watching

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                      The worst one imo is that stupid gladiator one.

                      Stinky.
                      I watched ST every evening, from maybe 6-7pm...because there wasn't much on back then
                      ...I never l liked the one where Kirk is on the ship alone with a woman...no action...which one was that?
                      ..yes, now that you mention it--the gladiator one seems slow-stumbling

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I wouldn't know anything about any of this...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          For me The Squire of Gothos,Trouble with Tribbles, and Balance of Terror" are among my favorites. The thing with Balance of Terror was that is was a part of the plot for William Shanter's Star Trek novel The Return.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Merkava188 View Post
                            For me The Squire of Gothos,Trouble with Tribbles, and Balance of Terror" are among my favorites. The thing with Balance of Terror was that is was a part of the plot for William Shanter's Star Trek novel The Return.
                            Does anyone else think that when the Squire of Gothos grew up, he became Q?



                            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The Trouble with Tribles is a favourite, especially after the DS9 epilogue/addition.

                              Mirror Mirror is also great because of the whole parallel universe that became possible.

                              Personally I like 'Let that be your last battlefield'. It just goes to show that racism is crap. Black is acceptable on one side of the face, and White on the other.....? The correct side has white on the other half compared with Black?

                              Best episode ever.
                              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X