Ray Donovan...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Donovan...

I think The Von's come late to this particular party. Got season one and two for Crimbo, is it still on the go, if not how many series did they make in total. Took a bit to get into as I use 'The Sopranos' as the benchmark in these things... but now I'm kinda hooked on these Irish ner'do wells!

The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

I've never seen Ray Donovan but I bloody love Liev Schreiber!

He co-stars in one of my favourite all time movies - Defiance, with Daniel Craig and Jamie Bell.

In case anyone hasn't seen it, it's about the Jewish Bielski brothers who survive the Holocaust by fleeing to the Naliboki Forest and holding out there for the duration of the German occupation of Poland (now western Belarus). Not only did they survive the war but they rescued and sheltered other Jews and fought a partisan war against the occupiers.

The film got a fair bit of criticism for historical inaccuracy from some modern day Poles and Belarusians, but it is based a true story and as a piece of thrilling entertainment, and that is basically what it is, I think it's great. It certainly got me interested in further research into the Bielski partisans and other Jewish and other partisan groups who fought/outwitted the Nazis.

Hope I haven't hijacked your thread Von - if you haven't seen it, then I can highly recommend.

"COOMMAAAAAAANNNNDOOOO!!!!!"
    - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

Yep, seen the flim and thought it was excellent. If you're carrying a torch for Liev Schreiber, you'll love Ray Donovan!

The long toll of the brave
      Is not lost in darkness
      Over the fruitful earth
      And athwart the seas
      Hath passed the light of noble deeds
      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

What red blooded woman wouldn't carry a torch for Live Schreiber?

He's bloody gorgeous!

I'm not really a fan of American cop type series so thought it was one of those but I'll maybe take a look.
        - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

By the way, for anyone who hasn't seen Defiance and wants to. If you click on that trailer link above, if you look down the other youtube videos down the side of the screen you'll see someone has put the complete movie up on youtube so you can watch it free!
          - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

I think the first 2 seasons or so of the series are ok. But after that the story takes increasingly silly turns.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
              I think The Von's come late to this particular party. Got season one and two for Crimbo, is it still on the go, if not how many series did they make in total. Took a bit to get into as I use 'The Sopranos' as the benchmark in these things... but now I'm kinda hooked on these Irish ner'do wells!

Ray Donavon has its moments. But if you really want to see a good Irish mob type series check out Brotherhood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothe...U.S._TV_series)

It only ran three seasons but I would say Brotherhood is closer to the Sopranos when compared to Ray Donovan. Ray Donovan has to much of a comedy feel to it IMO...the scenes with Jon Voight is probably the only reason why I continue to watch Ray Donovan.
              Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
              Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X