THINGS WAR MOVIES SELDOM SHOW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THINGS WAR MOVIES SELDOM SHOW

I recently read a book entitled American Soldiers: Ground Combat in the World Wars, Korea, and Vietnam by Peter S. KIndsvatter. As I read this excellent analysis of what soldiers went through, I made a list of facts about the soldier experience that are seldom touched on in war movies. Below is my list. If you can think of any movies that actually show the activity or problem, please comment. We’ll put together a list of movies that you can watch to get a truer picture of soldier life.

1. fratricide – friendly fire; usually by artillery
    2. digging in – soldiers using entrenching tools’
    3. resupply and feeding of hot food
    4. lack of sleep and its effects
    5. the large amount of gear they carry
    6. critters – lice and rats in WWI, leaches in Vietnam
    7. dysentery and its effects
    8. filth
    9. effects of artillery fire on the mental state of the receivers
    10. chickens*** details
    11. accidents
    12. replacements and their treatment
    13. the smell of death
    14. involuntary urination and defecation
    15. war weariness
    16. religion – some soldiers become more religious, some become atheists
    17. soldiers snap
    18. a small percentage of soldiers are “soldier-adventurers” who enjoy combat and are good at it

Let’s work on this project together. I’ll get us started.
    #10 – in “Platoon”, Chris has latrine duty and has to stir the s*** and burn it with kerosene.

mind numbing boredom
    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
    Hyperwar, Whats New
    World War II Resources
    The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Just out of memory, on spot.

2. digging in – soldiers using entrenching tools’
      3. resupply and feeding of hot food
      Significant number of Soviet and Russian war films. Eg Они сражались за Родину (They Fought for Their Country)

4. lack of sleep and its effects
      Company K

7. dysentery and its effects
      8. filth
      Kokoda

12. replacements and their treatment
      touched in Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter

Agree that not so much
      "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

Let’s work on this project together. I’ll get us started.
        #10 – in “Platoon”, Chris has latrine duty and has to stir the s*** and burn it with kerosene.
        It's been awhile but that smell I would know in an microsecond.

Weather, especially rain for Nam, cold and snow for the East Front.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I would like to add a universal...

Agonized screams of suffering wounded;

Always when this is mentioned , this sound is described as "something that never leaves you".I have not ever seen a war picture that has the same effect on me, even roughly the same effect. Now, I'm not advocating that we include genuine sounds, but it is, nevertheless, a fine detail that is, mercifully, absent.

GLADIATOR:Novelty acts and Public executions of a depraved nature.

Making a film on a topic like this, one has to draw the line somewhere to not cross over the bounds of 'good taste', but the plain fact remains that the Arena "Spectaculars' were far more depraved and disturbing than ever depicted in film...and thank the sweet Lord for that too.

examples....One documentary i saw from the BBC, ("The True Story of The Roman Arena") featured an Oxford don, a woman, descibing a public execution that was set up to mimic, in every detail, the Greek tale of Orpheus and the bull.
          A cast metal, hollow bull was set in the arena. the convict to be executed was placed inside the bull. A fire was lit underneath, while a "dramatic play" to tell the story of Orpheus was enacted. At the right moment, the person inside the bull would have found the metal bull to be first uncomfortably hot, then unbearably hot, and then a sound, like the 'bellow' of a bull, from the open mouth, with the convict roasted alive and in frightful pain.

Another example of depravity...

As the arena happenings went on, so the crowd reaction became more and more of callous indifference to the sufferings of the unwilling participants. New ways were thought of all the time to 'shock' the crowds. Early pantomimes might feature a mock 'set' for an historical 'reenactment' if, say, the burning of Carthage. the 'set' would be lit up with torches, and the flames rose, amid much hurrah-ing and blowing of trumpets. Tame displays like this soon became boring...

Animal acts were always a favourite. And the everlasting need to find 'new' things for the crowd led to things like this....

Carpophorus produced a sensation in Rome with this technique. (i.e. 'habit' patterning animals using women hired for 'training'..Drusus) No one ever dreamed of having lions, leopards, wild boars and zebra rape women. The Romans were especially fond of having mythological scenes acted out in the shows as Zeus, the king of the gods, often raped young girls in the form of various animals, these scenes could be reenacted in the arena. Under Carpophorus's direction, a bull raped a young girl representing Europa to great applause.....

The old time bestiarii were very contemptuous of Carpophorus. They claimed he had degraded his noble profession by putting on filthy exhibitions. They forgot that in their day they, too, had been criticized by the still earlier bestiarii for training man-eaters to devour helpless men and women. The shows were growing progressively more and more corrupt. What once had been real exhibitions of courage and skill, even though brutal, were gradually becoming merely excuses for cruelty and perverted sexual exhibitions.

Daniel P. Mannix..."Those About to Die"
          Naturally, im not calling for something like "50 baboons raping Jewish captive little girls as a "Special attraction", but nevertheless, the arena was a far more perverted place than ever we could morally or consciously depict in film.

Drusus
          Last edited by Drusus Nero; 27 Dec 16, 10:22.
          My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
          GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
          Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

sorry, just read the thread..."truer picture of SOLDIER life"..nit sure if 'gladiator' qualifies.

sorry folks. Still, its a 'war' picture' of sorts.
            My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
            GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
            Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

I remember a "'Nam vet" who told me that "The Green Berets" was highly realistic. I pointed out that it was filmed in Georgia.

ETA: My brother-in-law's brother almost made it into that film, but they didn't need any 6'4" VC. (Arnold went on to be a door gunner on a Chinook.)
              Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
              Hyperwar, Whats New
              World War II Resources
              The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

I never served in the military but I will opine that it would be damn near impossible to make a war movie that will satisfy Vets. Even if a movie was 10 hours long it can never convey the stench of death, the lack of sleep or even be completely accurate as to the events. Movie makers will always add some 'artistic liscense" to the scene. Besides the dialog alone is impossible to be accurate. I never look for one movie to be historical fact, I think to watch a lot of movies on war to get a good picture. (no pun intended. Reading books is a must and getting to hear from vets themselves is a gift. Though frustrating too cause they will pick apart everything you thought was real in the movie. This is a cool thread I am enjoying reading it and thank you all for your service. I hope some more vets will comment on here about what the movies don't show.

Comment

I appreciate all the comments, but I'd like to remind everyone that although I do not mind comments about soldier facts that should be added to the list, I was hoping for suggestions of movies that did cover any of the list.

I also want to emphasize that I am not criticizing the movie industry for not covering these topics. Some of them would be almost impossible to depict and others would discourage the box office. (Especially once we get "smellovision" back.) I am trying to put together a list of movies where you can see each of them.

Comment

Anyone seen "More American Graffiti"? There was a medevac scene featuring the hotshot new chopper pilot stopped in his tracks in the middle of a hot extraction by the sound of a wounded man rolling around the floor of the helicopter choking on his own blood with a chest full of shrapnel. The whole combat scene is clearly done on the cheap with limited resources but a little bit of fake blood and the right sounds got straight to the point.

Go to 16:40 for an officer reading the regs to Terry the Toad' about burning sewage with diesel.
                    Last edited by Chukka; 28 Dec 16, 03:28.
                    One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions - Admiral Grace Hopper

"The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity."
                    Wu Cheng'en Monkey

Comment

Originally posted by Chukka View Post
                      Anyone seen "More American Graffiti"? There was a medevac scene featuring the hotshot new chopper pilot stopped in his tracks in the middle of a hot extraction by the sound of a wounded man rolling around the floor of the helicopter choking on his own blood with a chest full of shrapnel. The whole combat scene is clearly done on the cheap with limited resources but a little bit of fake blood and the right sounds got straight to the point.

Go to 16:40 for an officer reading the regs to Terry the Toad' about burning sewage with diesel.
                      Excellent. Thanks. I have to say that a shout-out to MAG takes me completely by surprise. I am actually a fan of that movie. I once showed it in class after having shown "American Graffiti". Only once since I got in trouble for the scene with the stripper in the background wearing pasties! The movie is better than the critics thought. I love the different approach with the split screens. At least they did not go the usual more of the same route of most sequels.

Comment

18. Small % of soldiers who are naturals. Enjoy combat and are good at it.

Captain Speirs of Band of Brothers immediately popped into my mind. From the book and series he seemed to be a very capable officer who was into combat.
                        "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                        Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

The Pacific by HBO has a lot of the things on your list.
                          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

1. "Friendly" fire.

Broken Arrow scene in "We Were Soldiers".

https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=...?v=13kdMg9E9aI

Note friendly fire is more often from aircraft than artillery.
                            "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                            Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

10. Chicken shiite details.

Jar head burning ....

https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=2ctoxym3#/watch?v= FRgo52ewgUs

[YOUTUBE]FRgo52ewgUs[YOUTUBE]

Last edited by 17thfabn; 29 Dec 16, 19:12.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X