Deepwater Horizon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deepwater Horizon

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon_(film)

This is a great movie. It is the most accurate theatrical portrayal of drilling operations I have ever seen. The technical detail was almost overwhelming.

Mark Wahlberg and Kurt Russell deserve Oscars nominations for their roles as Mike Williams and "Mr. Jimmy."

Having spent a little bit of time on deepwater semi-submersible rigs, I was just as awestruck as they approached the Deepwater Horizon in a helo as I was the first time I approached the Zapata Lexington in a crew boat. The size and complexity of these rigs are overwhelming.

As the series of errors that led to the blowout began to accumulate, I kept having to stifle the urge to say, "No! Don't do that!"

We saw it in IMAX... Which made the movie too realistic. As the blowout worsened and the explosions occurred more frequently and violently, I found myself ducking for cover in my seat.

The movie was difficult for me to watch because I am very familiar with offshore operations. It will be a while before I can watch it again. But I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to gain an understanding of what went wrong and the heroism of the Transocean crew.

I thought it treated BP a little unfairly, but it wasn't too far off the mark.

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

I have only seen a few promos. I intend on going to see it. I remember working as a Roustabout when I was young. I brought several new pairs of overalls with me and the older guys kept telling me to get some old stuff on! I didn't have any old stuff to wear! Did the crew on the rig wear bright new overalls, or did they look a little grimy and used?

My Dad worked as a Mud Engineer/Drilling Fluid Consultant into his 70's. His overalls were always nice looking because he didn't HAVE to get them dirty!

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
      I have only seen a few promos. I intend on going to see it. I remember working as a Roustabout when I was young. I brought several new pairs of overalls with me and the older guys kept telling me to get some old stuff on! I didn't have any old stuff to wear! Did the crew on the rig wear bright new overalls, or did they look a little grimy and used?

My Dad worked as a Mud Engineer/Drilling Fluid Consultant into his 70's. His overalls were always nice looking because he didn't HAVE to get them dirty!

Pruitt
      The crews on deepwater semi's tend to have decent overalls. The guys on the rig floor appeared to be wearing decent gear, but were covered with mud & grime before the blowout covered everyone with mud, including the company man, played by John Malkovitch.

They went overboard in realism, including South Louisiana accents and LSU & USL caps, t-shirts & sweats. They even filmed scenes in Port Fourchon.
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Typical...Hollywoody makes heroes out of screw-ups...

Comment

How many people would pay good money to see Kurt Russel and Mark Wahlberg take a flying leap off a burning oil rig into the Gulf? Kurt Russel just split up with Goldie Hawn and here he is working with Goldie's daughter Kate!

Pruitt

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Typical...Hollywoody makes heroes out of screw-ups...
            The guys on the rig didn't screw up it was the eejuts that supplied things like the blow out preventer. The rig crew were the victims and many died - your comments are wholey unjustified and likely offensive to survivors and next of kin to the dead. Shame on you.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
              The guys on the rig didn't screw up it was the eejuts that supplied things like the blow out preventer. The rig crew were the victims and many died - your comments are wholey unjustified and likely offensive to survivors and next of kin to the dead. Shame on you.
              There were a lot of mistakes, up and down the line. It's really difficult to pin the blame on any one person or company. As the operator, BP bore most of the liability.

The problem wasn't with the manufacturer (Cameron) of the BOP. There were some minor maintenance issues; but the bigger problem was the fact that the strength of drill pipe had been improved to the point that many BOP's couldn't always cut it. Everyone had become too complacent and assumed that the BOP was a failsafe. This was an industry-wide problem and was quickly corrected.

Most bad accidents are the result of very competent people becoming complacent after a long period of incident-free operations. Dangerous jobs become routine and a sense of impunity sets in.

Comment

I went and saw it today. I was impressed. I missed the first few minutes, but I was quickly drawn in by the photography. I have flown out of Cameron and worked in Intracoastal City. Port Fouchon impressed me with the airport! Way back in the day, I have flown in Hueys, Jetrangers and Alouette III's. The new Skoiskys were almost too pretty inside to ride a rig crew in. I was also impressed by all the things they expected Mike Williams to fix! I am an ex-electrician and I am in awe of someone that can fix telephones, computers and electronics!

I don't see the bosses on the rig letting Williams spend so much time on his computer chatting with his wife. Maybe after his shift on HIS free time. I didn't see a Volt Meter either. Back when, I used to carry a nice Volt Meter, an Ohm Meter and a Wiggy Voltage tester. I also carried a tool bag! I also carried a bunch of spare parts as you seldom find certain size screws and nuts when you need them.

There was so many people on that rig and hardly any seemed to be on the Rig Floor? Times have changed.

They had to try hard to make Kate Hudson look plain!

Rig employees sometimes travel for hundreds of miles to work two weeks on, two weeks off. I heard them mention three weeks offshore but I did not hear how much time at the house. I remember one rig where most of the employees were Black and from Troup, Texas. Troup is an all Black town and there are not many good paying jobs there..

The Floor was not noisy enough!

Pruitt

Comment

Saw it today and I agree with the OP. It is outstanding. Possibly the most fiery movie since "Backdraft" (also starring Kurt Russell). I thought it was pretty fair in assigning blame. Naturally, the BP executives played the stock Hollywood corporate villains, but there is some truth in that portrayal. I'm not sure if most people in the audience caught the fact that there were human errors made once the potential for a disaster reared its ugly head.

My big takeaway was a sense of guilt at how little I had cared about what really happened at the time. I knew people had been killed, but did not bother to get the details or recognize some of the heroism that took place. Living in Louisiana and having friends in the oil industry deepens my shame. Seeing the movie felt like something of a memorializing. The movie did a great job in that respect. The victims deserved this film. Go see it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X