X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BELGRAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
    One of the movies on his list that you haven't seen is worth watching. Charge Of The Light Brigade with Errol Flynn is a fun movie to watch. And there are some scenes that are rather shocking considering when it was made. The massacre of the British garrison and their families and the aftermath is gut wrenching and graphic, again for the time it was made. Very good movie.

However, it is not, repeat not, history. The only thing they got right was that a charge was made by British Cavalry during the Crimean War. Everything else is complete fiction but extremely well done and watchable fiction.
    All of Errol Flynn's films are vastly entertaining,and he was a far better actor than many people seem to believe.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
    One of the movies on his list that you haven't seen is worth watching. Charge Of The Light Brigade with Errol Flynn is a fun movie to watch. And there are some scenes that are rather shocking considering when it was made. The massacre of the British garrison and their families and the aftermath is gut wrenching and graphic, again for the time it was made. Very good movie.

However, it is not, repeat not, history. The only thing they got right was that a charge was made by British Cavalry during the Crimean War. Everything else is complete fiction but extremely well done and watchable fiction.
    Good to know.

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    What a third-rate list, except for Cross of Iron, We Were Soldiers, and Platoon.

A Bridge Too Far is the best war movie made. Saving Private Ryan had its moments. I liked the second Alamo for its incorporation of the key points of the revolution. The Boat was good.

Leave a comment:

• Gixxer86g
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
    Black Hawk Down is a great war movie imho.
    One of my favorites!

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Yes, that is a good one.

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by BrianBoru2485 View Post
    #20: Gallipoli : A great film, Mel Gibson, a mistake by Churchill, rare one OK
    # 19: Major Dundee: Sam Peckinpaugh favorite director, brilliant but flawed film, a cult film favorite, one that could have been Never saw it.
    #18: We Were Soldiers: Another Mel Gibson Film, one tidbit about the film, and the book I read about it, the 1st Airborne Operation in Viet Nam, Rick Rascola, a Australian, was a genuine hero in the battle, and Rick is a real hero to me, he got a lot of people out of the World Trade Center, and died doing it!! He could have escaped, but typical of Rick!! Good but for the lame ending battle.
    #17- American Sniper- Bradley Cooper, Lame, pure Hollywood
    #16- Zulu- The Original, w/ Michael Caine, a great compelling film Good
    #15- Sands Of Iwo Jima- An inspiring movie for the generations before the political correct genation took over! Lame
    #14- Glory- A Great Inspiritional Film! Pretty good, except the final battle was backwards.
    #13- Michael Collins_ I'm Biased, but watch it often, guilty! Never saw
    #12 - The Vikings_ Kurt Douglas, tony Curtis, brilliantly filmed, great film! Childish at best.
    #11- Full Medal Jacket- just an engrossing movie, filmed in England, great flick So-so. Vietnam portions were poor.
    # 10- Dr. Strangelove- An All Star Cast, Stanley Kuberick, Enough said! Never saw.
    # 9 - Charge Of The Light Bridge-E. Flynn, I have to admit, a favorite Never Saw
    #8- Platoon- Good vs Evil plot,. but entertaining film Melodramatic, but not bad
    #7- All Quiet On The Western Front- could easily be #1 Dull.
    #6- Cross Of Iron- the ultimate sleeper movie on my list, James Cobern , brilliant film, Sam Peckinpaugh, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good movie.
    #5- here it gets tough!!
    #5-- Gunga Din- " Din, din, din"! Never saw

#4- Apolypse Now- " the horror, the horror" So-so
    #3- Bridge On The River Kwai- William Holden., Alec Guiness- great film, read a book I just read, " Ship Of Ghosts", by James Hornfischer, regarding that episode in the war OK
    #2- Ben Hur- Charleston Heston, come on, a brilliant film, !!! Not a war movie
    #1- I know, I hear the music, Gone With The Wind, my favorite would be :
    perhaps it is Gone With The Wind, but just not my favorite, more drama, then war film, oh well ...
    What a third-rate list, except for Cross of Iron, We Were Soldiers, and Platoon.

A Bridge Too Far is the best war movie made. Saving Private Ryan had its moments. I liked the second Alamo for its incorporation of the key points of the revolution. The Boat was good.

Leave a comment:

• warmoviebuff
    replied
    Originally posted by BrianBoru2485 View Post
    Kevin,
    Regarding my spelling, I apologize for that, I have my B.S. Degree in Business, I actually won a spelling bee in Catholic School, but neglected it with time, my apology!
    Regarding my film choices, to me, Michael Collins was a war film, the war of Irish freedom, and a brilliant film. The Vikings , come on man! What the hell were they doing!!! I left out " Saving Private Ryan". that was a brilliant film, I was in a theater, and when that Panther Tank 1st passed, and then turned the corner, it was terrifying! Another brilliant war film, that the Great John Ford directed, " They Were Extendable", was in his words, perhaps his greatest, and Robert Young, actually was a war hero before the film! I do appreciate though Kevin, that you keep this site going, be well, Brian
    Apology accepted. And I apologize for being a bit snarky.

Leave a comment:

• BrianBoru2485
    replied
    Hello Kevin the Moderator

Kevin,
    Regarding my spelling, I apologize for that, I have my B.S. Degree in Business, I actually won a spelling bee in Catholic School, but neglected it with time, my apology!
    Regarding my film choices, to me, Michael Collins was a war film, the war of Irish freedom, and a brilliant film. The Vikings , come on man! What the hell were they doing!!! I left out " Saving Private Ryan". that was a brilliant film, I was in a theater, and when that Panther Tank 1st passed, and then turned the corner, it was terrifying! Another brilliant war film, that the Great John Ford directed, " They Were Extendable", was in his words, perhaps his greatest, and Robert Young, actually was a war hero before the film! I do appreciate though Kevin, that you keep this site going, be well, Brian

Leave a comment:

• Trung Si
    replied
    Originally posted by dmf01 View Post
    Agreed. This one and Das Boot are the best German films about WWII (IMHO).
    And in mine as well.

Leave a comment:

• dmf01
    replied
    Cross of Iron.

Absolutely a great war movie. However, it almost sanitizes the Heer on the Eastern Front, so not a historical film.

Never ever watch the second CoI film called Breakthrough, with Richard Burton. Worse than terrible.
    Agreed. This one and Das Boot are the best German films about WWII (IMHO).

Leave a comment:

• BELGRAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
    Maybe it's a party school.
    They wouldn't admit it, but I certainly thought that "Scotch" only referred to the Whisky.

Leave a comment:

• Gixxer86g
    replied
    Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
    Or call Scots or Scottish: "Scotch" ?
    This I've heard many times, but never Skarrish.

Leave a comment:

• Gixxer86g
    replied
    Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
    It's not confined to the USA, though.
    One of the leading ,indeed distinguished,private schools in Melbourne,Australia, is SCOTCH COLLEGE, called thus despite having impeccable Caledonian credentials:founded by a Scot and with Presbyterian Church connections.
    You'd think they would know better.
    Maybe it's a party school.

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    Cross of Iron.

Absolutely a great war movie. However, it almost sanitizes the Heer on the Eastern Front, so not a historical film.

Never ever watch the second CoI film called Breakthrough, with Richard Burton. Worse than terrible.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X