The " Real " Greatest War Top 20 Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The " Real " Greatest War Top 20 Movies

I saw a guys site, called war movie buff, with war movie recommendations, I had to laugh when amongst he had " War Horse", and said enough, give me a freakin break. !!
    Here in my opinion, are the Real War Movies: from 20th Best to #1:
    #20: Gallipoli : A great film, Mel Gibson, a mistake by Churchill, rare one
    # 19: Major Dundee: Sam Peckinpaugh favorite director, brilliant but flawed film, a cult film favorite, one that could have been
    #18: We Were Soldiers: Another Mel Gibson Film, one tidbit about the film, and the book I read about it, the 1st Airborne Operation in Viet Nam, Rick Rascola, a Australian, was a genuine hero in the battle, and Rick is a real hero to me, he got a lot of people out of the World Trade Center, and died doing it!! He could have escaped, but typical of Rick!!
    #17- American Sniper- Bradley Cooper,
    #16- Zulu- The Original, w/ Michael Caine, a great compelling film
    #15- Sands Of Iwo Jima- An inspiring movie for the generations before the political correct genation took over!
    #14- Glory- A Great Inspiritional Film!
    #13- Michael Collins_ I'm Biased, but watch it often, guilty!
    #12 - The Vikings_ Kurt Douglas, tony Curtis, brilliantly filmed, great film!
    #11- Full Medal Jacket- just an engrossing movie, filmed in England, great flick
    # 10- Dr. Strangelove- An All Star Cast, Stanley Kuberick, Enough said!
    # 9 - Charge Of The Light Bridge-E. Flynn, I have to admit, a favorite
    #8- Platoon- Good vs Evil plot,. but entertaining film
    #7- All Quiet On The Western Front- could easily be #1
    #6- Cross Of Iron- the ultimate sleeper movie on my list, James Cobern , brilliant film, Sam Peckinpaugh, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    #5- here it gets tough!!
    #5-- Gunga Din- " Din, din, din"!

#4- Apolypse Now- " the horror, the horror"
    #3- Bridge On The River Kwai- William Holden., Alec Guiness- great film, read a book I just read, " Ship Of Ghosts", by James Hornfischer, regarding that episode in the war
    #2- Ben Hur- Charleston Heston, come on, a brilliant film, !!!
    #1- I know, I hear the music, Gone With The Wind, my favorite would be :
    perhaps it is Gone With The Wind, but just not my favorite, more drama, then war film, oh well ...

What I would call a good war movie when I was younger is not necessarily one I would call decent now.

You need to define war movie.

You also need to state how historical it needs to be. Let's take Braveheart as an example. Great war movie, but almost certainly less than historical. Same is true with the Bulge, Britain, Longest Day etc etc.

These days, I don't concern myself with historical accuracy from Hollywood. I'm old enough to just enjoy a film, or not.
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

War movie buff is a moderator here ,and he's doing a pretty decent job at reviewing movies, if you know what i mean ...

How old are you , my little friend ?
      That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by BrianBoru2485 View Post
        I saw a guys site, called war movie buff, with war movie recommendations, I had to laugh when amongst he had " War Horse", and said enough, give me a freakin break. !!
        # 19: Major Dundee: Sam Peckinpaugh favorite director, brilliant but flawed film, a cult film favorite, one that could have been
        #18: We Were Soldiers: Another Mel Gibson Film, one tidbit about the film, and the book I read about it, the 1st Airborne Operation in Viet Nam, Rick Rascola, a Australian, was a genuine hero in the battle, and Rick is a real hero to me, he got a lot of people out of the World Trade Center, and died doing it!! He could have escaped, but typical of Rick!!
        #15- Sands Of Iwo Jima- An inspiring movie for the generations before the political correct genation took over!
        #11- Full Medal Jacket- just an engrossing movie, filmed in England, great flick
        #6- Cross Of Iron- the ultimate sleeper movie on my list, James Cobern , brilliant film, Sam Peckinpaugh, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        #5- here it gets tough!!

#3- Bridge On The River Kwai- William Holden., Alec Guiness- great film, read a book I just read, " Ship Of Ghosts", by James Hornfischer, regarding that episode in the war
        perhaps it is Gone With The Wind, but just not my favorite, more drama, then war film, oh well ...
        Seb beat me to it with his reply, you might want to have a look at some of the threads that he has started in this forum. Some pretty good stuff.

By the way just though I should mention that films have been made in languages other than English.
        "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
        G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
        Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
          What I would call a good war movie when I was younger is not necessarily one I would call decent now.

You need to define war movie.

You also need to state how historical it needs to be. Let's take Braveheart as an example. Great war movie, but almost certainly less than historical. Same is true with the Bulge, Britain, Longest Day etc etc.
          I recall when Braveheart first came out, me and a friend of Scottish descent watched the movie. I love this flick, and even though, at the time, I only had basic knowledge of the history of that era, and location, I called BS on historical accuracy. My friend, however, was in tears for much of the movie, as if he were watching a documentary.

He didn't appreciate my comments on accuracy, and until I actually proved it, he was angry.

These days, I don't concern myself with historical accuracy from Hollywood. I'm old enough to just enjoy a film, or not.
          Well said, Nick!

The OP's list contains all great movies. But real? Not so much.

However, I'll never forget my neighbor, a USMC Vietnam Vet, reacted to Full Metal Jacket. He said the first half hit the nail right on the head.
          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
            I recall when Braveheart first came out, me and a friend of Scottish descent watched the movie. I love this flick, and even though, at the time, I only had basic knowledge of the history of that era, and location, I called BS on historical accuracy. My friend, however, was in tears for much of the movie, as if he were watching a documentary.

He didn't appreciate my comments on accuracy, and until I actually proved it, he was angry.

Well said, Nick!

However, I'll never forget my neighbor, a USMC Vietnam Vet, reacted to Full Metal Jacket. He said the first half hit the nail right on the head.
            Wallace went to the same school as I did. He would have never ran around in in blue paint.
            "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Ben Hur is not a war movie by any stretch of the imagination. Ergo, I'll stick with WMB and his reviews. One battle scene does not a war movie make.
              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                Wallace went to the same school as I did. He would have never ran around in in blue paint.
                Damn you're ancient! Was he 12 ft tall?
                ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Wallace was six and a half foot tall. I don't always agree with WarMovieBuff, but he is qualified to start a discussion on movies. BrianBoru2485, what are your qualifications? If they are your feelings that is okay with me, but you will get pilloried for them. How old are you?

Pruitt
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Can't have been.He served with the Australian Light Horse at Gallipoli.
                    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                    Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                      Can't have been.He served with the Australian Light Horse at Gallipoli.
                      All this time I thought he was fighting the Boches at Verdun!

Comment

Wallace was educated at the old grammar school in Dundee. It's successor is Dundee High.

http://www.highschoolofdundee.org.uk/about/history
                        "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by BrianBoru2485 View Post
                          #5- here it gets tough!!

Damn, I take a few days off and what do I see when I return? First, I would like to thank the members who had my back on this thread. I appreciate it. It depresses me to think that ya'll had to defend my seemingly insane recommendation of "War Horse" as a great movie. I'm afraid the OPer is a mite confused. My site is a review site, not a recommendation site. You can read the reviews and decide for yourself whether to watch the movie. I am eventually working towards my list of the 100 Best War Movies, but "War Horse" will not be on that list. I have no clue where he got the idea that I was recommending it as a great movie. Sometimes our minds invent things to get upset about.

As far as the top 20 list - it is not terrible. Personally, I do not consider Michael Collins, GWTW, and Ben Hur to be war movies, but some do. The biggest head scratcher is "The Vikings", but everyone has their guilty pleasures. I would suggest that if you are going to post your top 20 greatest movies, you spell their titles correctly. I can't wait for your full reviews of those twenty "real war movies", considering the golden nuggets of commentary about each.

Comment

Well said, Nick!

Anyone who pronounces it, "Skarrish," isn't.

"Braveheart," was a typical Mel Gibson vehicle (filmed largely in Ireland), with only a coincidental meeting with history. It was also a lousy film, and I'd love to see Gibson drawn and quartered for real. Incidentally, the nickname was given to Robert the Bruce (who is traditionally believed to have knighted Wallace - a privilege of Scottish knights), not Sir William Wallace, who never wore woad.
                            Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
                              Anyone who pronounces it, "Skarrish," isn't.
                              Who pronounces what Skarrish?

"Braveheart," was a typical Mel Gibson vehicle (filmed largely in Ireland), with only a coincidental meeting with history. It was also a lousy film, and I'd love to see Gibson drawn and quartered for real. Incidentally, the nickname was given to Robert the Bruce (who is traditionally believed to have knighted Wallace - a privilege of Scottish knights), not Sir William Wallace, who never wore woad.
                              I greatly enjoyed the movie, and as I noted I never considered it historically correct. And you're not telling us anything new here.

And no, I'm not going to lend you any money.... (sorry, had to throw a bit of Python in there)
                              ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X