X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please give review of the new Star Trek movie

Looking for you thoughts
    Are we there yet?

I saw the original series on TV, or rather 1.5 seasons of it. "Lost in Space" frequently made more sense.

The Kelvin time line movies have been better than anything I've seen before them. And they're full to watch and beautiful to look at. But if anyone goes in looking for more than another comic book movie they're on their own. It's a fun way to spend 122 minutes.
    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
    Hyperwar, Whats New
    World War II Resources
    The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Uhh, too much like starwars. Somebody got their scripts mixed up...

Boo, hiss...
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
        Uhh, too much like starwars. Somebody got their scripts mixed up...

Boo, hiss...
        Simon Pegg co-authored the script.
        Hyperwar, Whats New
        World War II Resources

Comment

Way to busy....Tooo much effects..

Comment

I'm from the days when they made aliens by slapping some rubber applique on the actor's forehead. I'm lovin' this new age.
            Hyperwar, Whats New
            World War II Resources

Comment

I liked it. The Enterprise got an interior lighting reduction and no longer tries to blow out your retinas. There were some silly parts, such as saving the galaxy with the power of Beastie Boys (you'll get it when you see it). My one criticism is that this is supposed to be taking place in the Kirk era of the Federation yet they visit a starbase that is far more technologically advanced than starbases in the Deep Space 9 era. They wanted to make something look as spectacular as possible and they forgot that Star Trek has eras of tech evolution and this thing was definitely out of place. But I DO like how they have been giving the Enterprise more moving parts. They got carried away with the starbase but the Enterprise still looks very much its period and the moving parts really make it look more realistic as a starship of that era.
              A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

It was fun. Disposable starships, who would have believed it.
                Hyperwar, Whats New
                World War II Resources

Comment

Speaking as something of a Star Trek purist, I loved the movie. For one thing, the movie had a more feeling to TOS than the previous reboot movies. Another thing is they finally showcased a couple of new alien races, something other than the usual mix of Romulans, Klingons, Vulcans, etc.

In this movie, apparently the directing team learned its lessons from Into the Darkness which was a commercial success but a flop with hardcore Trekkies. This time, Beyond was both a box office success and well received by fans of Star Trek franchise. It had a good story line although with some glaring plot holes and contradictions, the pace was quick and while the outcome was never in doubt, there was plenty to be entertained through.

I loved the subplot of McCoy and Spock trying to find their way back to their crew. That gave them a little male bonding time and they paid homage to TOS by McCoy uttering the famous quote to Spock regarding where his liver and heart are. The chemistry between McCoy and Spock was little lacking in the previous movies, so it's refreshing to see them having more than a few lines of dialogue together.

If there is one thing I definitely didn't like about the movie. It's that the story could use little more working to make it more believable and interesting. The starbase design and technology used was certainly overblown, but we're talking about the Kelvin timeline, so it's entirely possible that in some areas the Federation in that timeline was more advanced prior to the arrival of Nero and Spock Prime. Nevertheless, that part alone doesn't have that feeling of belonging to TOS at all. However....you can't deny the fact it's cool to look at.

In all, I'd give it a rating of four out of five stars.
                  Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

The Beastie Boys are the MOST POWERFUL FORCE IN THE UNIVERSE!

Or so the movie goes.

Comment

I never liked Star Trek so I didn't watch the last one.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X