Hitchcock's Vertigo - anyone seen it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitchcock's Vertigo - anyone seen it?

Channel Hopping the other day I came across an Alfred Hitchcock documentary.

They featured several of his films and there were old interviews with some of his leading ladies including Kim Novak who starred in this with Jimmy Stewart. They showed a few clips and I must admit I was intrigued.

I've just had a look at the trailer on youtube, but it's a bit naff (but then trailers often are).

Is it worth me buying the DVD?

"COOMMAAAAAAANNNNDOOOO!!!!!"
    - Mad Jack Churchill.

From distant memory ,its quite a good film,and at less than the price of a pint on E Bay go on live dangerously.
    Wack tac mac hey.
    Regards.
    Grishnak.

Comment

A long time since I've seen it but yes a good film, slightly different from the classic Hitch but good in its own right. I remember seeing it in the Palace in Sale - a bit of a fleapit but one which showed some classic films at low seat prices - until the owner burnt it down for the insurance.
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by grishnak View Post
        From distant memory ,its quite a good film,and at less than the price of a pint on E Bay go on live dangerously.
        Thanks for that. Just seen it on there - only a couple of quid, free postage, so I'm going to order it.
        - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

Excellent film. You'll love it.
          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

One of the coolest opening sequences of all time IMHO.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Hitchcock/Stewart Classics with out sex, car chases or shooting. One of the good ones.
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                One of the coolest opening sequences of all time IMHO.

Very cool indeed! Looking at those graphics, it's incredible to think it's nearly 60 years old.

Just had a look on the IMDB and it's got an 8.4. I can't believe I never heard of it before (well only vaguely).

According to this article in the Telegraph, it's also topped a poll of film critics voting for 'Best Film Ever' beating Citizen Kane.

This article also mentions the opening sequence ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/201...est-film-ever/
                - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

Excellent film by the Master of Suspense.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

It is an excellent film which is rightly considered one of the best films of all time, it is certainly in my best ten films.
                    War is less costly than servitude

Comment

If you're just getting into Hitchcock I would also highly recommend Rear Window, Rope, Psycho, and Marnie.

He has a bunch of other good ones but those are my favorites.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                        If you're just getting into Hitchcock I would also highly recommend Rear Window, Rope, Psycho, and Marnie.

He has a bunch of other good ones but those are my favorites.
                        Is one of the best, very small cast with good drama. iirc it was first offer on stage. Perfect for a stage play.
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                          Is one of the best, very small cast with good drama. iirc it was first offer on stage. Perfect for a stage play.
                          I think Rope was also a stage play. It takes place almost entirely in one setting and was filmed in almost one continuous shot with hardly any editing or cuts.
                          Last edited by Captain General; 31 Jul 16, 08:23.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Vertigo was my first Hitchcock movie when it came out--I found it scary.
                            By today's movie standards some of the special effects are corny and very dated, but the story line/mystery is great.
                            Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 31 Jul 16, 06:47.
                            Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Good movie. You will enjoy it

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” -- Albert Einstein

The US Constitution doesn't need to be rewritten it needs to be reread

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X