Happy Birthday John Wayne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday John Wayne

You were one of a kind and you are missed. Although you are more known for playing a cowboy you were also good in comedies.

“When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
    ― Groucho Marx

Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

When he was a boy he nearly went to jail over a skinny mule. The family was living in the desert east of LA, in a shack with no electricity. A passer-by noticed a mule in their backyard that looked like it was being starved. The police came to check it out and the father showed them that the family as a whole was doing no better than the mule.

Every time I saw him in a movie after learning that bit I mentally congratulated him for surviving and succeeding.
      Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
      Hyperwar, Whats New
      World War II Resources
      The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

He is still an American icon, hats off to The Duke!
        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

If there ever was a case of Stolen Valor this is a winner.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            The Marine Corps encouraged Wayne to make movies that made the Corps look good.
            Hyperwar, Whats New
            World War II Resources

Comment

SO!

USAAF could have used James Stewart, he didn't just act, he walked the walk.

Comment

You win.
                Hyperwar, Whats New
                World War II Resources

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                  Stolen Valor is to make a fraudulent claim of earning medals and military decorations for the sake of making a profit. When did John Wayne ever do that.

The Duke was in his mid-thirties, was married, had small children and bad knees. He had tried to join the military when he was younger but failed his physical so I doubt he passes his physical when he is older.
                  “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                  ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
                    Stolen Valor is to make a fraudulent claim of earning medals and military decorations for the sake of making a profit. When did John Wayne ever do that.

The Duke was in his mid-thirties, was married, had small children and bad knees. He had tried to join the military when he was younger but failed his physical so I doubt he passes his physical when he is older.
                    He made several requests to join up during the war, and the USMC protested. They wanted him making movies, not taking the chance of being a guest of the Kempeitai.
                    Hyperwar, Whats New
                    World War II Resources

Comment

USA won't be USA without the Duke.
                      I remember him standing in the frog if the house in Rio bravo,with this particular way of holding his left arm with his right hand (a bit difficult to describe).
                      I copied him since I saw him when I was 10 ,and still do nowadays.
                      The man,simple as this.
                      His political views are another side of the guy and don't interfere with his forever aura.
                      That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post

He was about the same age as Gen Stewart, others that got drafted also had children and were married.

His knees, bufff. I had flat feet and a curved spine. I WANTED in, I got in.

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                          I copied him since I saw him when I was 10 ,and still do nowadays.
                          Seb 'Dook' French...

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Von Richter; 29 May 16, 02:03.
                          The long toll of the brave
                          Is not lost in darkness
                          Over the fruitful earth
                          And athwart the seas
                          Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                          Unquenchable forever.

Comment

You got it da Von!
                            ( I doubt that my description was accurate..)
                            That rug really tied the room together

Comment

The thing I remember the most about Wayne is that I'm impressed with his willingness to make a patriotic war movie even in middle of Vietnam War, a deeply unpopular war. The first full Wayne movie I saw was the Green Berets.

I think the Green Berets was the last most patriotic war movie, with most of movies being anti-war in post-Vietnam era. I think it would take another decade and a half to see pro-US and heroic war movies to be made again.
                              Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X