You Tube Watch: In Which We Serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Tube Watch: In Which We Serve

After last week's turkey (Breakthrough), I owe you one. I guarantee this classic and it is a must-see for all war movie fans. The movie is "In Which We Serve" from 1942 Great Britain. It was a tour de force by Noel Coward who starred, wrote, and co-directed. Hell, he even wrote the score. The tale was inspired by Lord Mountbatten's destroyer in the Battle of Crete. The movie is basically the story of a British warship and its captain and crew. Enjoy.

Watch it at: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rve_poster.jpg

Excellent movie.
    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
    Hyperwar, Whats New
    World War II Resources
    The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

And he was no coward!
      Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
      Hyperwar, Whats New
      World War II Resources
      The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

And an excellent cast: which included a very youthful Richard Attenborough ( uncredited I think) in his debut role as the sole member of the ship's company who failed in action: - he had not absorbed the captain's "Creed".
        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
        Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
          And an excellent cast: which included a very youthful Richard Attenborough ( uncredited I think) in his debut role as the sole member of the ship's company who failed in action: - he had not absorbed the captain's "Creed".
          It goes without saying that John Mills was in the cast. As he was in every other British WWII movie.

Comment

British war moves were always very good, by and large.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
              It goes without saying that John Mills was in the cast. As he was in every other British WWII movie.
              Of course...
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

"This is the story of a ship". Specifically, the HMS Torrent. The movie covers the life of the ship from construction to destruction. However, the movie is really more the story of its crew. It is nonlinear in format and is structured around flashbacks of the home front lives of several members of the crew. The three main characters are the Captain Kinross (Noel Coward), Chief Petty Officer Hardy (Bernard Miles), and Ordinary Seaman Blake (John Mills). Each has a significant other who is affected by their being wedded to the ship. In one telling scene, Mrs. Kinross refers to the Torrent as her rival. Between the flashbacks the ship is involved in combat that results in its sinking. The survivors are strafed several times while floating in or along a life raft.

The movie has been described as a typical propaganda piece from wartime British cinema. This is not true. It is certainly propaganda, but it is not run of the mill and it is much superior to most in its execution. The credit for setting the film above the vast majority of British wartime war films is Noel Coward. He saw it as his contribution to the war effort. Already a great playwright, he added movie maker to his resume. He was awarded an honorary Oscar for his accomplishment. I do not find that he ladles the propaganda onto the screen. The movie is more interested in tugging the heart-strings than swelling patriotic pride. It deftly interweaves the ship scenes with the home front scenes. It is excellent in depicting the lives of the women. These scenes are not treacly, but they are not biting either. The movie also downplays the social gap on board the ship. The captain is a paternalistic figure who literally knows the names of every crew member. I am not sure he exemplified the typical British captain.

The movie does an excellent job showing the destroyer in action. The battle scenes are dynamic with lots of quick cuts. It jumps between the officers making decisions and the sailors doing their jobs. One of them (a young Richard Attenborough) shirks his duty so we have a redemption character. The dialogue is above average, especially coming from the captain. The acting is fine. Everyone has their upper lip stiff, including the females.

I feel the movie is a must-see. Yes, it is propaganda, but it is very effective propaganda. It is still very watchable seventy years later.

GRADE = B

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                  Robi P.
                  by casanova
                  The Austrian soldier Toni P. of the Radetzky barack in Horn Nether Austria was forced by his commander to make an march with his comrades in 3th August...
                  Today, 02:27
                • casanova
                  Beirut
                  by casanova
                  Gigantic explosion in the city of Beirut. 70 people were killed and 2750 men were heavy hurted. The explosion was like atomic bomb. The cause of that...
                  Today, 00:47
                • casanova
                  Nuclear battleheads.
                  by casanova
                  A secret UNO report declares, that North Korea owns already nuclear battleheads for tactical rockets....
                  Yesterday, 23:58
                Working...
                X