WAR MOVIE TOURNAMENT 2016: Best WWI Combat Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAR MOVIE TOURNAMENT 2016: Best WWI Combat Movie

This year's tournament is going to determine the best WWI movie in honor of the centennial of the war. I have decided to limit the field to movies that feature the infantry. These are the 16 movies that I have decided upon, but I am willing to replace one or two if the suggestion makes sense. Does anyone have a movie to propose that you feel belongs in the tournament? Please remember it has to be an infantry film.

All Quiet (1931)
    The Fighting 69th
    Sergeant York
    Oh! What a Lovely War!
    Gallipoli
    Lost Battalion
    Lost Patrol
    Joyeux Noel
    The Big Parade
    All Quiet (1979)
    Westfront 1918
    Private Peaceful
    Beneath Hill 60
    War Horse
    Paths of Glory
    Passchendaele

Blackadder Goes Forth.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Hill 60 is a great movie, one of the few dramas that kept my 10 year old grandson spellbound. He has the attention span of a gnat.
      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
        Blackadder Goes Forth.
        The tournament is limited to movies. And not comedies. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

The French movies "A very long engagement" and "Captain Conan"?
          BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Agree with you ,especially for Capitain Conan.

"Johnny got his gun" ,tough not immediatly related to the combat life in the trenches ,is beyond emotion.
            That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
              The tournament is limited to movies. And not comedies. Thanks for the suggestion.
              Then you should consider The Wipers Times. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2763790/

And where is The Blue Max on your list?

Comment

Cause Blue Max doesn't feature the infantry,limitation imposed by Warmoviebuff

Comment

I'm glad to see "Lost Battalion" made the list, as the only cable produced movie to be considered it probably was the least expensive to make. The action scenes are as realistic as anything in "Saving Private Ryan", and the weapons are correct including lesser known arms such as a 1917 S&W .45ACP revolver and that wonderful gift from the french, the 1915 Chauchat light machine gun. And then there's the German flamethrowers...........
                  Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

The Chauchat in his French version was an acceptable portable machine gun.
                    The US army screwed the damned thing with the pitiful re-chambering for American caliber.
                    You can choose 2ways of considering this weapon.
                    The Lee Ermey's one in "locked an'loaded",very funny (really) but totally biased ,or the Ian's one ,at Forgotten weapons.com,who is fairly criticizing the Chauchat.

And what about "the trench" ,the 98' English movie with D.Craig ?

Comment

'The Water Diviner' does it count as a proper war film though?
                      The long toll of the brave
                      Is not lost in darkness
                      Over the fruitful earth
                      And athwart the seas
                      Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Here's my take on some of them:

Wiper's Times - not really a combat movie; more of a comedy about a soldiers' newspaper

The Trench - no combat; basically a movie about soldier life

Water Diviner - a post-war movie

Johnny, Get Your Gun - not a combat movie

Captain Conan - I have wanted to see this for years but can't get it; I'd love to include it

A Very Long Engagement - more of a romance than a combat film

Comment

Cannot find better than this trailer , hardly mediocre..

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                            Cause Blue Max doesn't feature the infantry,limitation imposed by Warmoviebuff
                            Correct, although Stachel begins his career in the infantry, but the Wipers Times does qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
                              Thanks for the suggestions. Here's my take on some of them:

Wiper's Times - not really a combat movie; more of a comedy about a soldiers' newspaper

The Trench - no combat; basically a movie about soldier life

Water Diviner - a post-war movie

Johnny, Get Your Gun - not a combat movie

Captain Conan - I have wanted to see this for years but can't get it; I'd love to include it

A Very Long Engagement - more of a romance than a combat film
                              The Wipers Times is not a comedy in any sense of the word...more about psychological survival under the stress of constant, bloody combat. You did see it, correct?

Seems you have an aversion to anything you didn't come up with yourself.

Where is the Australian film The Light Brigade? Or is that "just about horses", as The War Horse is?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X