No announcement yet.

What is your favorite movie and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O yeah...forgot about sountracks and films, and Cohen movies...

Brother Where art Thou" had it all.

I even bought the soundtrack, and used to play it after work, with a few "pipes", it was magic, particularly the old hillbillly standards, like "In the Jailhouse", "Big Rock Candy Mountain" etc etc...

George Cluny's obsession with his favourite "Dapper Dan" hair cream was stealing the show, but the best scene was them all arriving at the realtive's "Horse Stud Ranch" (the father and son had eaten all the horses), with the cousin's only regret that his wife had left him that he "missed her cookin'".
    My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
    GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
    Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

I also have to admit that viewing "the Exorcist" as a child, "snuck" in to the Drive In Movies under a blanket in the backseat, WAs "the scariest" film experience I ever had as well.

And I must agree with the sheer quality of Eastwood westerns like "the Outlaw Josey wales", and "Joe Kidd".

But for absolute fear, when ALIEN was first released, the "trailer" for it was very brief indeed, (about 15 seconds of random footage), and cinema audiences of the day were not de-sensitized' to space-sci-fi-horror. Because we'd never seen anything like it, the genuine SCREAMS of fright that this movie produced have not been equalled in my experience, "Exorcist" excluded.

The story went (from Sigourney Weaver and tom skerrit, no less) that john hurt's "birth sequence" was filmed without anyone but John knowing what was about to happen. Weaver claims that all the reactions in the film to that scene are entirley natural.

That film was the only movie I've ever seen with genuine screams from both sexes, and people putting their hands over their faces, or watching it through open fingers.

Shock value like that does not exist anymore. Kids are to de-sensitized, and Space-Sci-Fi-Horror is a cliche' now.

But ALIEN was gripping in a dark cinema, from beginning to end.

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
      Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

One more thing...

friends of mine, not into war pictures, went to see "Saving Private ryan" without me, (I was working that night).

They came back and talked about nothing else for two weeks, except that first 40 minutes of cinema footage.

when I heard veterans claiming it "wasn't realistic enough", I wondered just what you had to do to please the "vets" and still retain a "good taste" rating.

Same as "Gladiator". I had read a book called "Those About to Die" by Micheal mannix, that described a real gladiator called FLAMMA.

From his story, we guessed almost exactly what the plot and storyline of Gladiator might be, and we were right, even down to details like the German warrior in the big bearskin, cutting down legionairies with his overlarge axe.

In Mannix's book, this hapens in the arena. the German is a captive, dressed in th clothing he was captured in, and swinging a similar weapon to what he did in his tribe. In the book, he cuts down no less than SIX Roman costuned gladiators, and is spared by the crowd, (Thumbs up).
        The praise goes to his head, however, and he makes a speech to the crowd, calling all roman soldiers "cowards" and boasting he could take any of them on, man for man, one on one. An enraged legionary steps forward from the crowd, and takes the German tribesman up on his offer, and bests him after a desperate fight. for the crowd, its the "match" they remember this particular "games" by for months to come.

When I read one roman writer, I think it was suetonius, this match was described in very similar terms, i.e....it was a real thing, not just a product of Mannix's imagination. amazing.

Someone who wrote "Gladiator" had obviously read the same literature as I had.

I bought that soundtrack, too. It was mood perfect. Hauntingly original and very dramatic all at once.

Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
          O yeah...forgot about sountracks and films, and Cohen movies...

Brother Where art Thou" had it all.

I even bought the soundtrack, and used to play it after work, with a few "pipes", it was magic, particularly the old hillbillly standards, like "In the Jailhouse", "Big Rock Candy Mountain" etc etc...

George Cluny's obsession with his favourite "Dapper Dan" hair cream was stealing the show, but the best scene was them all arriving at the realtive's "Horse Stud Ranch" (the father and son had eaten all the horses), with the cousin's only regret that his wife had left him that he "missed her cookin'".
          You ain't bonified! Haha
          SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

I love Prisoner of War movies like Andersonville and The Great Escape but Stalag 17 is my favorite.
            “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
            ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Goodfellas. Star cast, star director, awesome script and very, very close to the real story.

Oh and the lines:

"The place burned down? **** you pay me. Lightning struck? **** you, pay me. Slow business? **** you, pay me."

"Paulie may have moved slow, but it was only because Paulie didn't have to move for anybody."

" Didn't matter. It didn't mean anything. When I was broke, I'd go out and rob some more. We ran everything. We paid off cops. We paid off lawyers. We paid off judges. Everybody had their hands out. Everything was for the taking. And now it's all over.

And that's the hardest part. Today everything is different; there's no action... have to wait around like everyone else. Can't even get decent food - right after I got here, I ordered some spaghetti with marinara sauce, and I got egg noodles and ketchup. I'm an average nobody... get to live the rest of my life like a schnook"

"If you're part of a crew, nobody ever tells you that they're going to kill you, doesn't happen that way. There weren't any arguments or curses like in the movies. See, your murderers come with smiles, they come as your friends, the people who've cared for you all of your life. And they always seem to come at a time that you're at your weakest and most in need of their help."

"Killing's got to be accepted. Murder was the only way that everybody stayed in line. You got out of line, you got whacked. Everybody knew the rules."

"By the time I grew up, there was thirty billion a year in cargo moving through Idlewild Airport and believe me, we tried to steal every bit of it"

"For as long as I can remember I always wanted to be a gangster. To me that was better than being president of the United States. To be a gangster was to own the world."

"When they found Carbone in the meat truck, he was frozen so stiff it took them three days to thaw him out for the autopsy."

"For us to live any other way was nuts. Uh, to us, those goody-good people who worked shitty jobs for bum paychecks and took the subway to work every day, and worried about their bills, were dead. I mean, they were suckers. They had no balls. If we wanted something, we just took it. If anyone complained twice they got hit so bad, believe me, they never complained again."
              Last edited by Rojik; 22 Feb 16, 07:54.
              Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X