What is your favorite movie and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite movie and why?

Someone asked me this question and I had a hard time narrowing it down.
    So I'll ask the question to the astute scholars that view this question.

What is your favorite movie and why?
    My worst jump story:
    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
    No lie.

~
    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Blazing Saddles. Why? It made me laugh...
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Tombstone...Why not? Although Guardians of the Galaxy may overtake it.
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Right now it would be Avatar, because it fascinated me - not the film itself but the world it presented.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
          Blazing Saddles. Why? It made me laugh...
          Second that.Mel Brooks is a genius,apparently,in Europe, we know this fact.
          "it's good to be the king oo nana .."
          North by northwest is for me a killer.
          But all what has done Scorcese owns a Oscar.
          Taxi driver and above all: Once upon a time in America.
          The scene when Noodles is looking into the small hole in the wall...This Morricone's music....
          Last edited by sebfrench76; 30 Jan 16, 20:40.
          That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Lonesome Dove - I don't know why its my favorite. I've read the book 4-5 times and seen the movie at least 30-40 times. I like that its a more modern Homeric tale with rich, colorful characters. I often feel Woodrow's commitment to duty and personal expectations for perfection, but I wish I could be more fun loving like Gus.

Comment

I could never pick just one.

What I watch depends on my mood.
              • Comedy - The Cheap Detective: I enjoy parodies and who-dun-its so this is a two-fer.
              • Science Fiction - The Fifth Element, The perennially exhausted Bruce Willis saves the entire Universe from evil with Milla Jovovich before she got famous. (Close 2nd, - Serenity: A scifi western conspiracy movie with rage zombies.)
              • Fantasy - The Return of the King, "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."
              • rdfe [something the cat just typed - I haven't seen it]
              • War - A Bridge Too Far, What begins in hubris and the fog-of-war ends in tragedy, heroism, and pathos.
              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

I've seen ...

... rdfe, it doesn't end well for the bird.

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                What I watch depends on my mood.
                • Comedy - The Cheap Detective: I enjoy parodies and who-dun-its so this is a two-fer.
                • Science Fiction - The Fifth Element, The perennially exhausted Bruce Willis saves the entire Universe from evil with Milla Jovovich before she got famous. (Close 2nd, - Serenity: A scifi western conspiracy movie with rage zombies.)
                • Fantasy - The Return of the King, "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."
                • rdfe [something the cat just typed - I haven't seen it]
                • War - A Bridge Too Far, What begins in hubris and the fog-of-war ends in tragedy, heroism, and pathos.
                "I am Groot"
                - Groot

Comment

Depends on my mood

Shawshank Redemption is an obvious one.

Taking the LOTR trilogy as one film is better.

Memento is probably the most intelligent film I've seen.

Best film depends on the mood I'm in.
                  How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                  Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

Memento is probably the most intelligent film I've seen.

"Remeber Sammy Jankis"

My favorite movie is "The Road Warrior". Starts outs with an intense car action scene and non-stop action throughout and ends with the most awesome car action scenes ever in my opinion.

Comment

LOTR and Avatar are my favourite fantasy films.

Action - the Bourne Trilogy would be on the top at the moment.

War - Come and see... and Apocalypse now, the Redux version.

TV movie - it would have to be Goodbye, farewell and amen.

Comedy - that's a hard one because I'm not easily pleased. The Blues Brothers at the moment, and Blazing Saddles, that's right up there too.
                      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                      Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

Comment

My all time favorite comedy remains Young Frankenstein.

A couple of days ago I was in the model railroad store and asked the clerk if he carried certain items. In front of the rest of the customers, he turned, raised one shoulder and began hitching along while saying to me "Walk this way!"

Without a second's hesitation I raised my shoulder and hitched right along with him to the end of the counter while the other customers laughed.

It seems everyone remembers and appreciates those gags!
                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Yes, Young Frankenstein is right up there in the hall of fame.

I went on a western binge recently and it was okay. They all had the same story line though. Guy meets girl, looses same, villain rides off with her, hero rescues her.

Do any them end with the mustache twirling villain winning in the end???

That'd be cool just for breaking the mold...
                          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Doctor Strangelove!
                            Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                            Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

I don't believe it's possible to nail down one favourite.
                              Top Ten: (in no specific order)
                              Apocalypse Now Redux
                              A Bridge too far
                              The Right Stuff
                              Gangs of New York
                              Star Wars (episode IV: A New Hope)
                              The Good, the Bad,and the Ugly
                              Blazing Saddles
                              Monty Python and the Holy Grail
                              The Road Warrior
                              Excalibur
                              BoRG
                              "... and that was the last time they called me Freakboy Moses"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X