No announcement yet.

The Revenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will open here next week and I'll definitely go see it (but not if it's in 3D).

Comment

I saw it and I enjoyed the movie. I could nitpick about Hugh Glass recovering from a broken leg and major claw injuries in only a few days, but I won't. The scenery was beautiful. I don't understand why the characters kept stepping into water in what looked like sub freezing temperatures. They were wearing leather footwear, not rubber boots. I was amazed they were not stopping to warm and dry their feet.

They changed the ending from real life, but I don't mind.

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Watched it and enjoyed it. The acting and camera work were great! The story line was good.This movie was very slow, almost painful at times. Worth the long watch though. 8/10

Comment

As visual experience I'm glad I saw it. As a movie..... it sucked.

Hardy and Gleeson's characters were interesting and I found myself captivated when they were on screen. Leo, sorry, boring.

The movie dragged on and on and on and on. I didn't care about Leo or his revenge (why would I, I hardly learned his name) so the entire movie was pointless.

Some scenes were nice to look at though.

Comment

One of those films that the more one hears the less one wants to view. As I no longer do long haul flights chance of seeing it diminishes
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

I rarely want to go out to an actual theatre these days and would much rather wait and watch at home. I also heard this was a long movie therefore normally it would be all the more reason to wait, but I'm glad I saw it on the big screen . Actually IMAX because it was one of the most visually stunning movies I have seen in years. It seems all the more remarkable given the incredible difficulty of filming in winter on a remote location. Often I was wondering how they captured so many of the shots.

It is unusual for a Hollywood movie because it is certainly not escapism. And those looking for that have been and will be disappointed but it is easily the best movie I have seen this year.

Comment

Originally posted by flash View Post

It's also not clear to me why they decided to leave the boat and strike out x-country.
                There is a passing reference to a low water point. Presumably the natives could get there quicker on a known choke point on a winding river.

Comment

Originally posted by lynelhutz View Post
                  There is a passing reference to a low water point. Presumably the natives could get there quicker on a known choke point on a winding river.
                  That's a good point with the advent of the horse things changed in the west.
                  Prior to this the natives got around on foot or used dogs.
                  In 1691 Henry Kelsey (HBC) encountered no horses among the Sioux in Saskatchewan as he worked his way west from Fort Prince of Wales.
                  Like wise La Verendrye's Son's in 1738 also encountered no horses among the Mandan & Snake Indians (Comanche) on the Snake River, Wyoming as they worked their way west from Fort Kaministiquia.

The horse brought to the Northern Plains Indians from the Apache changed the way they traveled, hunted & went to war for ever.

British Columbia which could have become (French Columbia) & Alberta are filmed quite a bit in this movie.

Cheers, Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by KRJ View Post
                    I have been looking forward to it and I intend to see it. It will likely be the film of 2016.

Star Wars ain't got nuttin' on the mountain man era!
                    I agree with that statement Tom Hardy plays his part as the bad guy really well in the Revenant... I'd like to see him play (Liver Eating Johnson)!

Doctor John McLoughlin must have had his hands full as Chief Factor @ HBC Fort Vancouver, Oregon & Secretary of The Oregon Department.

Free Traders had a tough go during the tail end of the Fur Trade as fur bearing animals became scarce and competition for them increased between large company's like: The American Fur Trading Co & The Hudson's Bay Co.

Regards, Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                      I saw it and I enjoyed the movie. I could nitpick about Hugh Glass recovering from a broken leg and major claw injuries in only a few days, but I won't. The scenery was beautiful. I don't understand why the characters kept stepping into water in what looked like sub freezing temperatures. They were wearing leather footwear, not rubber boots. I was amazed they were not stopping to warm and dry their feet.

They changed the ending from real life, but I don't mind.

Pruitt
                      Leonardo DiCaprio commented that he experienced Climate Change (Chinook Climate Change) maybe..
                      They would certainly have had to stop and dry their leather foot wear even during an Alberta Chinook.
                      Also I didn't see a Muzzle Loader loaded once and that Rainbow Trout looked like it came straight out of the package fresh from Canada Safeway Grocery in Calgary.
                      All the same it was worth watching not enough of these Bush Wacker Films are produced by Hollywood these days.
                      I'd like to see him in one as Peter Pond early American Fur Trader/ Explorer/ Map Maker & North West Company Partner.
                      Peter Pond 1778 Grand Portage, Minnesota to Methye Portage, Alberta near todays Canadian Oil Fields Fort McMurray, Alberta.

Regards, Patrick

Comment

I thought that it was done very well. I have a distant ancestor who was contemporary of Glass, and have read extensively about the period, so I think this is probably the closest Hollywood will ever depict what that era was like.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039...s=books&sr=1-9
                        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X