• Show
Clear All

• Marmat
    replied
    aka "Weekend at Dunkirk" ...

Originally posted by dmf01 View Post
    I remember I saw French version of Dunkerque -
    Week-end Zuydcoote
    ... with J-P Belmondo, Sunday afternoon TV fare in the early 70's.

Plenty of period French equipment & vehicles, but not enough Lee-Enfields to go around. If you look closely, you'll see the odd SMLE facsimile (try saying that 10 times with a mouth full of poutine).

Last edited by Marmat; 01 Jan 16, 15:10.

Leave a comment:

• copenhagen
    replied
    Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
    Well, you should not be surprised if it does include an American character who has an English lass back in Blighty....I won't be! And niether will most members of this site and beyond.

Paul
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Nolan though does have a good reputation though

Leave a comment:

• dmf01
    replied
    I remember I saw French version of Dunkerque -
    Week-end Zuydcoote

Leave a comment:

• asterix
    replied
    Reading up on Nolan's previous works, as talented as he may be, his interests are elsewhere if his past films are any indication. As of right now, my money says it will be a horrible flic. I'm NOT looking forward to further bastardizing this episode of history, which I'm certain could and would not be complete without heavy depictions of French cowardice in order to appease audience appetites, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary......but what film director even reads history any more?

Non Merci.

Leave a comment:

• dmf01
    replied
    It'll probably be an 'attempted' remake of the 1958 film starring John Mills ans Dicky Attemborough.

Paul
    There was also 3-episode BBC TV-version about 15 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Hard to imagine Dunkirk being an action-adventure setting.

"Now boarding MTB 107, other ranks stay to the stern deck please...."

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Spam is actually quite popular in the Lend Lease countries. It is meat and they weren't getting much! Spam is popular in Hawaii, the UK and Korea. I like it, too!

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• 101combatvet
    replied
    Originally posted by Von Richter View Post

Wot, for the Yank 6th Fleet turning up at the mole to save the British Army after the Royal Navy's surrendered?

And land lease spam for all the returning troops.

Leave a comment:

• Von Richter
    replied
    Remember the Yanks winning the Battle of Britain in Pearl Harbor? A running commentary on a dogfight with 109s (just in case the audiences eyes weren't working!) culminating in...

"I'm in trouble he's on my six!!!"

My 'umble opinion...
    A Yank, pretending to be a Canadian called Private Smith, joins the 1st Battalion Berkshires to forget the English Rose wot jilted him. Good old Smiffy takes command of the Battalion after the Colonel tries to surrender it to the Hun. Fights his way through France to the beaches, stopping Rommel's Ghost Division in it's tracks, nicking their Enigma machine in the process. On the beach he's down to his last round of .303 when a little ship emerges from the smoke of battle. Yes viewers, it's Doris, the English Rose come back for her Hero. Said Hero shoots down a Stuka with his last round of .303... then sails back to Blighty with Doris under one arm and Enigma under the other.

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    I am not looking for Americans at Dunquerk. I also am not looking for beautiful English Lasses keeping a stiff upper lip while their love is dodging German Stukas, Artillery and small arms fire.

Pruitt
    Well, you should not be surprised if it does include an American character who has an English lass back in Blighty....I won't be! And niether will most members of this site and beyond.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    I am not looking for Americans at Dunquerk. I also am not looking for beautiful English Lasses keeping a stiff upper lip while her lover is dodging German Stukas, Artillery and small arms fire. If I want to see Americans and Commonwealth Army troops doing their best I would want a movie about Dieppe.

Pruitt
    Last edited by Pruitt; 29 Dec 15, 09:45.

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    How accurate was this movie?

Pruitt
    It was a dramatised version with a pretty good historical backdrop. It portrays the Royal Navy, the small ship captains and personnel and also a section of squaddies fighting their way back to Dunkirque and the trials and tribulations on the groins (piers) and beach.

No gung-ho' Hollywood American heroics in that film, just human bravery and endeavour in adversity. Which is how war films should be made.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    How accurate was this movie?

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• Dibble201Bty
    replied
    It'll probably be an 'attempted' remake of the 1958 film starring John Mills ans Dicky Attemborough.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Von Richter
    replied
    I await with bated breath

Paul
    Wot, for the Yank 6th Fleet turning up at the mole to save the British Army after the Royal Navy's surrendered?

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X