WWII thriller Dunkirk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII thriller Dunkirk

Christopher Nolan is set to direct the upcoming action thriller Dunkirk, based on the 1940 evacuation of Allied soldiers in France.

Warner Bros. announced Monday that Nolan will helm the upcoming thriller from his own original script. Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh, and Tom Hardy are in talks to join the ensemble, but the lead roles, which have yet to be cast, will be headed by unknowns. Nolan and his longtime producing partner Emma Thomas are producing the film.

“We are thrilled to be continuing our collaboration with Christopher Nolan, a singular filmmaker who has created some of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful films of all time,” said Greg Silverman, president of creative development and worldwide production for Warner Bros. “Dunkirk is a gripping and powerful story and we are excited to see Chris, Emma, and their cast realize it on the big screen.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/28...ecting-dunkirk

Shooting will begin in May at many of the real-life locations portrayed in the film, using a combination of IMAX 65mm and 65mm large format film photography. Dunkirk is set to hit theaters on July 21, 2017.

Originally posted by McMax View Post
    Christopher Nolan is set to direct the upcoming action thriller Dunkirk, based on the 1940 evacuation of Allied soldiers in France.

Warner Bros. announced Monday that Nolan will helm the upcoming thriller from his own original script. Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh, and Tom Hardy are in talks to join the ensemble, but the lead roles, which have yet to be cast, will be headed by unknowns. Nolan and his longtime producing partner Emma Thomas are producing the film.

“We are thrilled to be continuing our collaboration with Christopher Nolan, a singular filmmaker who has created some of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful films of all time,” said Greg Silverman, president of creative development and worldwide production for Warner Bros. “Dunkirk is a gripping and powerful story and we are excited to see Chris, Emma, and their cast realize it on the big screen.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/28...ecting-dunkirk

Shooting will begin in May at many of the real-life locations portrayed in the film, using a combination of IMAX 65mm and 65mm large format film photography. Dunkirk is set to hit theaters on July 21, 2017.
    Thanks. Exciting information.

Comment

I await with bated breath

Paul
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

I wonder how close it will be to the historical account or will it be some kind of romance? It will be hard to find that many small craft to use and all the old period warships are gone. I guess this means we will see a lot of CGI. It will also be hard to find all this period motor vehicles. The German officers were certainly picking through the civilian cars drove into the water on the beach.

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
          I await with bated breath

Paul
          Wot, for the Yank 6th Fleet turning up at the mole to save the British Army after the Royal Navy's surrendered?

The long toll of the brave
          Is not lost in darkness
          Over the fruitful earth
          And athwart the seas
          Hath passed the light of noble deeds
          Unquenchable forever.

Comment

It'll probably be an 'attempted' remake of the 1958 film starring John Mills ans Dicky Attemborough.

Paul

Comment

How accurate was this movie?

Pruitt

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                How accurate was this movie?

Pruitt
                It was a dramatised version with a pretty good historical backdrop. It portrays the Royal Navy, the small ship captains and personnel and also a section of squaddies fighting their way back to Dunkirque and the trials and tribulations on the groins (piers) and beach.

No gung-ho' Hollywood American heroics in that film, just human bravery and endeavour in adversity. Which is how war films should be made.

Paul

Comment

I am not looking for Americans at Dunquerk. I also am not looking for beautiful English Lasses keeping a stiff upper lip while her lover is dodging German Stukas, Artillery and small arms fire. If I want to see Americans and Commonwealth Army troops doing their best I would want a movie about Dieppe.

Pruitt
                  Last edited by Pruitt; 29 Dec 15, 09:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                    I am not looking for Americans at Dunquerk. I also am not looking for beautiful English Lasses keeping a stiff upper lip while their love is dodging German Stukas, Artillery and small arms fire.

Pruitt
                    Well, you should not be surprised if it does include an American character who has an English lass back in Blighty....I won't be! And niether will most members of this site and beyond.

Paul

Comment

Remember the Yanks winning the Battle of Britain in Pearl Harbor? A running commentary on a dogfight with 109s (just in case the audiences eyes weren't working!) culminating in...

"I'm in trouble he's on my six!!!"

My 'umble opinion...
                      A Yank, pretending to be a Canadian called Private Smith, joins the 1st Battalion Berkshires to forget the English Rose wot jilted him. Good old Smiffy takes command of the Battalion after the Colonel tries to surrender it to the Hun. Fights his way through France to the beaches, stopping Rommel's Ghost Division in it's tracks, nicking their Enigma machine in the process. On the beach he's down to his last round of .303 when a little ship emerges from the smoke of battle. Yes viewers, it's Doris, the English Rose come back for her Hero. Said Hero shoots down a Stuka with his last round of .303... then sails back to Blighty with Doris under one arm and Enigma under the other.

The long toll of the brave
                      Is not lost in darkness
                      Over the fruitful earth
                      And athwart the seas
                      Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                      Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post

Wot, for the Yank 6th Fleet turning up at the mole to save the British Army after the Royal Navy's surrendered?

And land lease spam for all the returning troops.
                        My worst jump story:
                        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                        No lie.

~
                        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Spam is actually quite popular in the Lend Lease countries. It is meat and they weren't getting much! Spam is popular in Hawaii, the UK and Korea. I like it, too!

Pruitt

Comment

Hard to imagine Dunkirk being an action-adventure setting.

"Now boarding MTB 107, other ranks stay to the stern deck please...."

Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                              It'll probably be an 'attempted' remake of the 1958 film starring John Mills ans Dicky Attemborough.

Paul
                              There was also 3-episode BBC TV-version about 15 years ago.
                              "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X