Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is Nerdier: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martok
    replied
    Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
    The wanderings around the 'Enterprise' of the crew in skin tight gear and all those plunging necklines mask a sexless, sterile show.
    I disagree. On TNG Troi was the resident sexpot, while Riker the Bill Clinton of Star Fleet. There was one TNG episode I reviewed in my TNG thread in which Troi tried to do half the ship, and by the time in the series Riker finally married her he definitely wasn't going where no man had gone before.

As for TOS, given the time it aired sex couldn't be the driving influence behind the show. Although Captain Kirk did go down in history as performing the fastest copulatory act in the history of the Universe.

DS-9 tended to dance around the issue, but by the time of Enterprise those skin tight uniforms had a habit of coming off.

Leave a comment:

• Martok
    replied
    Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
    Trek...has more technobabble. You never hear "we have an overload in the phase flux fusion boogie capacitor! We need to eject the quantum vector xenon dorsal wiggle fin!" in Star Wars.
    No, but you do hear stuff like:

"The Force is power by Chlamydia!"

Leave a comment:

• OpanaPointer
    replied
    Originally posted by redcoat View Post
    I don't think anyone would claim that, but Jar Jar Binks was a whole higher level of annoying.
    "Mesa not in disa movie!"

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied
    Originally posted by redcoat View Post
    I don't think anyone would claim that, but Jar Jar Binks was a whole higher level of annoying.
    Exactly.

Leave a comment:

• redcoat
    replied
    Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
    Wes Crusher not annoying?

Leave a comment:

• OpanaPointer
    replied
    I remember a USENET group that was called

alt.ensign.wesley.die.die.die.die.die.die.die.die. die.die.die.die.die.die.

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Drusus Nero
    replied
    Wes Crusher not annoying?

He seemed to save the day for nearly every episode.

My most irritating moment was when anyone was 'treated' in the infirmary. no matter what they had wrong with them, the Trekkie medic would place a little gun like object to whatever part of them was sick or injured. Two small 'arms' would appear, with colored lights and a little 'fwisk' sound, and the patient would be cured! Now thats medical techno-blah if I ever saw it.

further, if the beings of this civilization have a matter transmitter that can convert them to photons and 'beam' them to any point of the universe and back again, why do they need the Enterprise at all? Desparing explanations that "it only has a certain range" don't make any sense. Who ever heard of light photons running out of range?

Red Dwarf's concept of a HOLOSHIP was far more believeable. No need for food supplies or water, no need for fuel or maintainence. And the holograms on board are supposedly the 'best of the best', with a suitable arrogance and concern for their own 'super' intelligence. Unlike the enterprise, where Wes seems to be the ONLY product of sexual contact in the entire history of the Space Corps, The Red Dwarf Holo Vessel crew MUST, for their own self esteem, engage in sexual contact with eachother, multiple times per 'day'. It is even considered the hieght of unsocialbility to refuse. ("What a ship!", as Rimmer puts it...)

This aspect of science fiction I believe, is drawn straight from the pages of Huxley's "Brave New World". Their society has eliminated sex for reproduction al together, (babies are all mass produced, and in five types, (Aplpha-Beta-Gamm-Delta-Epsilon, that correspond to their intelligence level and job within the city. Sex is entirely for pleasur, and is called ENGAGING, and you have technological devices that can increas or decreas the pleasure of the experience simply by turning a dial of a belt all the women wear. They teach children about sexual matters from birth, and even have a slogan for it, "EVERYONE BELONGS TO EVERYONE ELSE". Their is no sexual snobbery in their society over looks or charm or any of the other smokescreens we carry on with. The anti-hero of the book, Bernard Marx, an alpha, is a little unenthusaistic about the orgies ('orgy-porgy' its called), and finds himself as left out of their Alpha society as one can be. He has to persuade another aplpha female to go on a 'safari' to the local 'savage' reservation outside the city, and when they are stuck there for a time, 'engages' with her, making her pregnant. She is left behind for years while a rescue party take Bernard home. She gives birth to a son, names John, later "John Savage" when he eventually goes to BNW. His reunion with his father, Bernard, is the most embarrassing moment of Bernard's life. NOONE in BNW knows who their father and mother are. Bernard can't live it down, and John does not understand Bernard's attitude at all.

The wanderings around the 'Enterprise' of the crew in skin tight gear and all those plunging knecklines mask a sexless, sterile show. Then again, many Nerds are in a similar condition, although i'm sure this changes with age and a paying job.

Drusus

Leave a comment:

• Biscuit
    replied
    Star Trek is much more technical, which gives it the win in the 'Nerdiest Fans' category!

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied
    Trek is nerdier however Star Trek never had a character as irritating as Jar-Jar Binks. Not even Wesley Crusher was that annoying.

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    Yep though the latest in the Star Trek movies leaves much to be desired. The exception was that fan based one. (At least it had a plot...)

http://www.axanarproductions.com/

Leave a comment:

• Pirateship1982
    replied
    Well.....lets' see...

Both have fan bases that do cosplay.

Both have book based RPGs dedicated to their universe.

Both have comics dedicated to their universe.

Both have numerous video games and board games.

Trek...has more technobabble. You never hear "we have an overload in the phase flux fusion boogie capacitor! We need to eject the quantum vector xenon dorsal wiggle fin!" in Star Wars.

Trek is nerdier.

Leave a comment:

• joea
    replied
    Seriously fans of both are nerd losers.

Signed: a double nerd loser.

Actually triple, love Dr Who too (*for now).

Leave a comment:

• OpanaPointer
    replied
    I saw the original Star Trek series when it aired on TV.

Well, not "saw" , actually, but I was in the same room with the TV. At least I'm pretty that was what was going on.

I miss the '60s.

Leave a comment:

• The Ibis
    started a topic Which is Nerdier: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Which is Nerdier: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Funny

The stuff in the background is as funny as the dialogue!

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X