Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad's Army ...

... controversy? Or a load of hooey?

Audiences blast Hollywood bosses over historical error in Dad’s Army trailer

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...Army-film.html

Viewers boo opening voiceover over claims Britain was on the verge of losing the war in 1944

BUNGLING producers have been blasted for making a huge historical error over the movie remake of Dad’s Army.

A trailer claims Britain was on the verge of losing the war in 1944.

In reality Nazi Germany was being completely overpowered.

Cinema audiences have already booed the opening voiceover for the film due out in February.

It states it is 1944 and claims: “On the brink of defeat our nation has a secret weapon . . ” Rob Palmer, who runs the British Military History website and has an MA in British WWII studies, said: “I’m not surprised there’s been booing.

“It’s insensitive to change history for films when you consider the loss of life.

“June in 1944 saw the D-Day invasion that led to the surrender of Nazi Germany. It’s a complete travesty to change what happened.”

Historian Antony Beevor added: “By 1944 it was obvious that Germany were going to lose.”

Distributors Universal Studios declined to comment.

Trailer #2

One has only to consider the effect the movie "Top Secret" had on how we view the Cold War today, to realise how much "Dad's Army" will distort WWII for generations to come.

"I am Groot"
    - Groot

I haven't seen it yet, but like many, I have fond memories of the TV series.

The whole idea was following a bunch of incompetents as they faced a very real danger - it has to be said, with no lack of courage.

While we laughed ourselves sick at Mainwaring and his boys' antics, we never lost sight of the fact that - had the unthinkable happened - they would've fought to the last bullet and then bayonet-charged a formidable enemy.

In 1944, the Home Guard was heading rapidly towards disbandment, as it was no longer required, but its contribution in training, and in taking over second-line duties to free up regular troops, aided the war-effort in no small measure.

To suggest that Britain was on the brink of defeat in 1944, when the threat had been neutralised in 1940 is an insult.
    Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Why did they move it forward 4 years ?

It wouldn't have anything to do with there being no US Americans around in 1940 ?
      Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
        Why did they move it forward 4 years ?

It wouldn't have anything to do with there being no US Americans around in 1940 ?
        Well not very many -there were a few volunteers with the RAF and some more with the Canadians who were arriving.

There has been some good work done on how the mutual culture shock on both sides when the Canadians arrived in Britain was dealt with, interestingly Canadians were often used as intermediaries when introducing the Americans and British to each other in 1942.
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
          Well not very many -there were a few volunteers with the RAF and some more with the Canadians who were arriving.

There has been some good work done on how the mutual culture shock on both sides when the Canadians arrived in Britain was dealt with, interestingly Canadians were often used as intermediaries when introducing the Americans and British to each other in 1942.
          But are there US Americans in the movie ?

It seems the only plausible explanation, since moving it forward essentially destroys the premise of the original.

For commercial reasons I could understand why they'd do that though.
          Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Game.

Comment

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015...n_7986910.html
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

I like the poster of movie

http://10starmovie.me/wp-content/upl.../Dads-Army.jpg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X