replied
    This one is pretty cool.

Leave a comment:

• sebfrench76
    replied
    Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
    Love that series.
    Enormous success here in da frogsland.
    I enjoyed especially the episode about the P51 .
    Wonderful light effects for a 2007's release ,even if the fire effects show their age.
    Plus:enjoyable to ear from the vets.

Leave a comment:

• OpanaPointer
    replied
    Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
    I happen to like the Series 'Dogfights'.

It's all CGI but pretty good.

Love that series.

Leave a comment:

• sebfrench76
    replied
    Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
    I think the bitching about CGI and Star Wars comes from the fact that Episodes 1-3 had scenes that were purely for CGI entertainment. I mean why is Obi-Wan riding a lizard? Or the pod race? Dumb!

And I think what really pisses people off is that Lucas went back and f***ed with episodes 4-6 adding new CGI to those movies when fans were perfectly happy with the old effects. That's when the bashing/bitching really started.
    You cannot be more right ,imo.
    Lucas is his own worst enemy.Fortunately enough for us,he was just a consultant on SW 7.
    JJA avenged 8 fans on 10 .And gave me a wonderful jump back in 77'.

Leave a comment:

• Chukka
    replied
    If you don't like CGI spare a thought for the poor bastards trying to do this in RL

http://humanoidhistory.tumblr.com/post/135538373331

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    I happen to like the Series 'Dogfights'.

It's all CGI but pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    Originally posted by Chukka View Post
    It's not the sound of the V1 motor that's the problem, it's the sound of the V1 motor cutting out.....
    At the risk of being pedantic, perish the thought, that has no sound - bit like one hand clapping

Leave a comment:

• Chukka
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    Not many here are old enough to have heard those....
    It's not the sound of the V1 motor that's the problem, it's the sound of the V1 motor cutting out.....

Leave a comment:

• Chukka
    replied
    I have seen and heard control line pulse jets flying, a visceral experience. The vid is fairly indicitave of the model flying experience, old fellows stuffing around for ages, followed by a brief frenzy of madness.

Or the real thing,

Last edited by Chukka; 24 Dec 15, 18:51.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
    Absolutely.

OTOH there are battle scenes that could not be done without CGI for reasons of cost, safety, or simple feasibility. It can be done well and used to improve the story telling. When it isn't, watch something else.
    Agreed.

Old aircraft, warships and armies can be brought to life through CGI. I find it's most useful place, however, to be in the reconstruction of ancient ruins.

Leave a comment:

• GCoyote
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The problem is the CGI; it's the way Hollywoody substitutes it for real plot, interesting characters and an interesting film done by actors who know their terade and have more than one emotion.
    Absolutely.

OTOH there are battle scenes that could not be done without CGI for reasons of cost, safety, or simple feasibility. It can be done well and used to improve the story telling. When it isn't, watch something else.

Leave a comment:

• OpanaPointer
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkV View Post
    Probably the only reliable way to get one of those above walking speed these days
    Yeah, and "what could possibly go wrong?"

Leave a comment:

• Hida Akechi
    replied
    Some of us still have things called memory and having heard something once can recall it when we hear it again. I've actually heard the sound of a pulse jet many times. Lots of UK WW2 documentaries have it
    That's cool and good for you.

Admittedly, I did notice the similarity in those sounds as well. But there isn't many of us that would know that, and not many of us that obsesses over pulse jet noises and waits to compare them to something in the movies.

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
    How many people listen to those specific recordings in hopes of hearing the sound again somewhere else?
    Some of us still have things called memory and having heard something once can recall it when we hear it again. I've actually heard the sound of a pulse jet many times. Lots of UK WW2 documentaries have it

Leave a comment:

• Hida Akechi
    replied
    There are recordings
    How many people listen to those specific recordings in hopes of hearing the sound again somewhere else?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X