Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Detective, Season 2

Anyone following the new season?

I liked the first episode of Season 2! It appears that each season will follow a different pair of detectives played by different actors.

Interesting idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Imperial View Post
      Anyone following the new season?
      The finale of episode 1 was the most interesting part. It brought all the cops together.

The same with episode 2, the finale was the best part.

The only interesting character so far is Vince Vaughan, who's the only protagonist who isn't shamelessly overacting. I mean I realize the cops are all supposed to be damaged goods but McAdams, Kitsch and Farrell could all tone it down a notch.

And I don't think the murder is integral to the story. It's going to be more character driven; ie. overcoming the flaws.

Overall, moving kind of slow so far.

Cheers,
      Dan.
      So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan M View Post
        I mean I realize the cops are all supposed to be damaged goods....
        Wow. Talk about stupid clichés.

Its not looking to hit Season 1's quality, but I'm giving it a try.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Yeah, there's some definite clichés there. OTOH, how could you have drama if the people you're seeing aren't a little messed up? Anyways, the story's the main thing; it kind of takes a lot from the unincorporated city of Vernon in LA county which has had a lot of flak recently for all sorts of shenanigans. In fact, maybe that place has even more going on behind the doors than the show. Just a hell of a lot of questions, most of which will probably go unanswered. If one is interested, check out the cities of Bell and Maywood, incorporated cities in LA county. Lots of scandal and stuff going on there as well including the police depts. as well.

I find it's not as "mysterious" as TD Seaon 1 but more conventional. Sex, drugs, and money, whoohoo. Vince Vaughn was a bit of a cypher until the last episode; now he's getting interesting.
          Last edited by boomer400; 06 Jul 15, 18:58.

Comment

So he blacked out just because he was drunk and was shot with rubber bullets?

Comment

So he blacked out just because he was drunk and was shot with rubber bullets?
              No, a chest hit from riot shot could easily knock a guy out.

Frankly, he's lucky it didn't kill him by throwing him into cardiac arrest.

Those rounds are intended to be fired into the asphalt at an angle, causing them to hit demonstrator's legs.

They're dangerous.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I'm digging it so far.
                "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

After Colin Farrell took one to the chest from ten feet, and coup de grace from point blank, I said to myself if they pull some stupid sh-t to keep him in the show I'm giving up.

Well, here I am.

Vaughan's story line is still the most interesting. Could care less about the Farrell and McAdam's characters. And I don't care that Kitsch is a closeted gay. Got to have one in anything coming out of Hollywood today, I guess.

This storyline's slower and makes less sense than last year's.

But I'm still in. I must have a self-hate streak.

Cheers,
                  Dan.
                  So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                    I'm digging it so far.
                    Yeah, me too.

They don't have the power of the two heavyweights in Season One, but they are definitely building a sense of tension.

Comment

Anyone else notice that the lyrics to the intro song are different every episode?

They're similar but the words in middle of the song change each episode.
                      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                        Anyone else notice that the lyrics to the intro song are different every episode?

They're similar but the words in middle of the song change each episode.
                        I fast-forward through it.

Season 1's song I liked, I got a copy of the unabridged version.

Comment

Just finished watching. Intense shoot-out episode.

Comment

Just finished watching. Intense shoot-out episode.
                            Yeah. I'm interested in the political spin from so many officers and bystanders hit.

I'm guessing there is going to be pressure to pin the city manager's murder on the now-dead thugs.

Comment

I gotta' give it its due. Great shoot-out. Lasted a little too long, but well choreographed none the less. I agree the dead gang members were set up and warned that the cops were coming. Or another gang dressed as cops were coming. That would explain why they fought so hard. To bad the drunk cop got killed.

Speaking of music, would someone put a sock in that depressing singer in the bar? Jeez she's annoying.

Does anyone else think it's Vaughan's wife who's leading the assault on his empire?

Whose car was set afire? Was that the murder car? I didn't get that part.

Finally, I noticed the two stains on the table cloth that Vaughan covered with his coffee cup were the same as the two stains on his bedroom ceiling. The stains will end up being significant.

Is this series supposed to be connected to the first in some way?

Cheers,
                              Dan.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X