• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Rising.

Looks good.

http://www.history.com/shows/texas-r...JD2BoCV6vw_wcB
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Sam Houston and his Rangers? WTF?

If the rest is like this, its crap!

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

They're showing them out of order here. I've got the even-numbered episodes DVR'd.

I'm very interested; the actor playing Houston is a descendant of his.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I had a lady at my card table claim descent from him as well. She had some unkind words about him.

Pruitt

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
          Sam Houston and his Rangers? WTF?

If the rest is like this, its crap!

Pruitt
          That's why I posted it, I'm watching the first episode and I do like a good western.

Well listening to it. A historical? Damn seemed like a good yarn...
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

They also shot many scenes like it was in a desert area. San Antonio and Austin get enough rain each year to provide abundant grass. Most of the scenes I have seen remind me of the Big Bend National Park, which IS what I call a desert! Another goof is there are no mountain ranges around San Antonio or Austin.

After Sam Houston got his "army" concentrated, he led them EAST towards Louisiana on the Old Spanish Trail (one of many). Almost half his men deserted him on the way. They thought he was abandoning Texas. Texas had changed governments after Sam Houston was appointed General of the Texas Army. The trouble here was the Texas Militia was not under his command.

Too much drama with the Black Floozie. Not that I have any problem with floozies!

Santa Ana was not wearing his coat when the Texans attacked. He and his troops decided to take a siesta while the Texans watched! He later took a coat from a Private soldier to hide his identity when capture was imminent.

I would offer that this series is as historical as "Pearl Harbor" was with Ben Affleck.

Pruitt

Comment

I had a lady at my card table claim descent from him as well. She had some unkind words about him.

Pruitt
              He was an interesting man. Did many good things, did many bad. Like most early Texans, he came west fleeing failure.

Travis was a bankrupt and womanizer. Bowie was a criminal, running slaves into the USA. Crockett was a greasy politician and probably the worst farmer in North America.

Now they have hundreds of streets, parks, plazas, schools, and even counties named after them. Houston has a major city.

Because they did something, for the former three it was the last thing they did: they made history.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

They also shot many scenes like it was in a desert area. San Antonio and Austin get enough rain each year to provide abundant grass. Most of the scenes I have seen remind me of the Big Bend National Park, which IS what I call a desert! Another goof is there are no mountain ranges around San Antonio or Austin.

After Sam Houston got his "army" concentrated, he led them EAST towards Louisiana on the Old Spanish Trail (one of many). Almost half his men deserted him on the way. They thought he was abandoning Texas. Texas had changed governments after Sam Houston was appointed General of the Texas Army. The trouble here was the Texas Militia was not under his command.

Too much drama with the Black Floozie. Not that I have any problem with floozies!

Santa Ana was not wearing his coat when the Texans attacked. He and his troops decided to take a siesta while the Texans watched! He later took a coat from a Private soldier to hide his identity when capture was imminent.

I would offer that this series is as historical as "Pearl Harbor" was with Ben Affleck.

Pruitt
                Good comparison. Entertaining, by not accurate.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                  He was an interesting man. Did many good things, did many bad. Like most early Texans, he came west fleeing failure.

Travis was a bankrupt and womanizer. Bowie was a criminal, running slaves into the USA. Crockett was a greasy politician and probably the worst farmer in North America.

Now they have hundreds of streets, parks, plazas, schools, and even counties named after them. Houston has a major city.

Because they did something, for the former three it was the last thing they did: they made history.
                  No...history happened to them. They didn't create anything. In fact, from a military standpoint the Alamo was a worse disaster than Custer's idiocy.

Want an example of proper military strategy, read the accounts of the Legion half-company under Cpt D'Anjou at Camerone.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Pruitt
                    The filming was done in Durango, Mexico which explains the incorrect terrain.

Also did anyone notice the wrong flag show in the Battle of San Jacinto? In the first action of the battle when Sherman attacks with his cavalry despite General Houston's orders, his troops are showing with the First Republic of Texas flag. However, this flag was not adopted by the Texas government until after the Battle of San Jacinto.

I believe the correct flag would be the San Jacinto Liberty.

I haven't finished the series, still have it on Tivo so no spoilers

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/texas/f...blic-texas.htm
                    Last edited by ForIAmSparticus; 22 Jun 15, 15:12.
                    “Come and take it!"

Comment

Originally posted by ForIAmSparticus View Post
                      The filming was done in Durango, Mexico which explains the incorrect terrain.

Also did anyone notice the wrong flag show in the Battle of San Jacinto? In the first action of the battle when Sherman attacks with his cavalry despite General Houston's orders, his troops are showing with the First Republic of Texas flag. However, this flag was not adopted by the Texas government until after the Battle of San Jacinto.

I believe the correct flag would be the San Jacinto Liberty.

I haven't finished the series, still have it on Tivo so no spoilers

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/texas/f...blic-texas.htm
                      Santa Ana loses!

Pruitt

Comment

Santa Ana loses!

Pruitt
                        I said no spoilers!!

Just kidding I knew that one, otherwise I would be speaking spanish right now.
                        “Come and take it!"

Comment

Have it on DVR but haven't gotten around to seeing it yet.
                          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                            Have it on DVR but haven't gotten around to seeing it yet.
                            Starts a bit slow, but picks up in episode 3.
                            “Come and take it!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X