Ripper Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripper Street

If you're not watching this gritty drama from BBC, you should be, and it stars the sell sword fro Game of Thrones who worked for The Dwarf and now accompanies Jaimie Lannister.

Very high quality and very well done, it centers on a man born and raised in the poverty-stricken, high crime area of Whitechapel who rises to the position of Chief Inspector.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Good show.
    Wack tac mac hey.
    Regards.
    Grishnak.

Comment

I don't like cop shows, but this one is an exception to my rule. Excellent series.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I enjoy the series greatly. I always found the Victorian era interesting and having a crime drama series that isn't Sherlock-centric is a fresh change of pace.
        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

I keep forgetting about it. It's on Netflix, me thinks, I will try to catch up this summer. Is it an accurate portrayal of the times? They don't use guns from the future, do they? It's a small quibble if so...
          The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
            I keep forgetting about it. It's on Netflix, me thinks, I will try to catch up this summer. Is it an accurate portrayal of the times? They don't use guns from the future, do they? It's a small quibble if so...
            They hardly use guns at all (they're British) but yes, all are period-appropriate. They reference several issues which I checked on (the Elephant Man, etc), and I haven't caught them out yet.

This is a show about a city district's crimes-there's no 'saving olde England' plots. Good stuff.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
              They hardly use guns at all (they're British) but yes, all are period-appropriate. They reference several issues which I checked on (the Elephant Man, etc), and I haven't caught them out yet.

This is a show about a city district's crimes-there's no 'saving olde England' plots. Good stuff.
              Yeah, that does sound like good stuff. But I'm already on the bandwagon, just haven't had the time yet or just plain forget. I'll remedy that soon.
              The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

I was hooked when I saw the trains, entirely authentic right down to the link and screw couplers, which got a lot of brakemen and yardmen crushed or severely injured because they had to stand between the cars to hook them up.

They have not been used for well over a century. but there they were on the trains.

FYI:

Modern knuckle coupler
                :

Link coupler:

The problem:

Comment

I can confirm what the fans are saying. It reminds me of "Copper", although it is not as graphic and bleak.

Comment

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
                    I can confirm what the fans are saying. It reminds me of "Copper", although it is not as graphic and bleak.
                    Copper is another show I've tried, but its a little too much soap opera. Although the USN shelling the draft rioters, and the lynching of Negros by draft mobs was accurate, historically.

I like the main character carrying a set of brass knuckles in his hat-I had an old Chief who started in the 40s who always wore the eight-point hat, and had a set of knuckles in it...

Comment

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
                      Yes, it does...another fine series.

Comment

I watched the first 2 series on BBC, there was uproar when they cancelled it, thankfully Amazon Prime took up the mantle and the third series is on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                          They hardly use guns at all (they're British) but yes, all are period-appropriate.
                          The following in no way is going to prevent me from watching the show, I'm interested, as I said I'm on the bandwagon, I just need the time to actually sit down and watch it...

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Ripper_Street

So I did check a little bit, and some of the weapons used are wrong for the period. Again, no big deal, but I do like it when everything is absolutely correct. I don't think any movie or TV series actually is. I'm a fan of period-specific firearms (I like antique weapons) and it's good to see some of those old weapons (or reproductions) in use. Yeah, use the obsessed word, I won't deny it.

But, back to the actual show....my other shows are having season finales in the next couple of weeks, that should free things up. I'll be catching up with Ripper Street and eventually Vikings. Good stuff.

Comment

Season 3 will hit dvd in June.
                            A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Last night's episode was another good one,,,there seem to be no "bad" episodes as there often are in any series, at least not so far, and I like the way they bring in the customs, entertainments, fads and scams of the period. Last night was about seances.

In a way, this series reminds me of The Artful Detective, but far more gritty and realistic, and it certainly doesn't huert that the main actor is the sell sword for Tyrion Lannister on Game of Thrones!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X