Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Staw Wars "Force Awakens" Teaser

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ntcmp=features
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 16 Apr 15, 16:16.

It looks very cool. I'd wish that Abrams hadn't change the look of the Rebel X-wing helmets.

Comment

Originally posted by Merkava188 View Post
      It looks very cool. I'd wish that Abrams hadn't change the look of the Rebel X-wing helmets.
      Well, it is 30 years in the future. Even though the tech is never supposed to change in Star Wars, the aesthetics do. Besides, Abrams wants to leave some of his mark and look in it. All movie-makers do that.
      The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Oh the tech does change.

Four laser cannons, two ion cannons, shields and she can flip the female canine like she's on a rail.
        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

That's just the aesthetic, not the tech.

And isn't that part of the EU? Which doesn't exist anymore?
          The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
            That's just the aesthetic, not the tech.

And isn't that part of the EU? Which doesn't exist anymore?
            No, that's tech. The TIE D is shielded, hyperdrived, gunned up, and represents a successful technological marriage between the speed and maneuverability of the TIE Interceptor and the ruggedness of heavier Rebel models like the X Wing.

Oh, it also has Proton Torpedo/Concussion Missile launchers. Don't want to forget that.

When last I checked the European Union didn't exist at all in the Star Wars universe. But if you mean the Empire, then no the Empire never stopped existing. After the Battle of Endor the empire went into a brief decline before being reunited under the military/political leadership of Grand Admiral Thrawn in the Zahn trilogy. After Thrawn's death it broke into factions but remained a potent power bloc and even allied with the Rebels, now New Republic, in combatting an even nastier menace called the Yuzhan Vong.

In the X Wing Miniatures wargame the TIE Defender is a pretty formidable adversary. The handling is a tad eccentric as it can perform a 180 degree turn without penalty but has difficulty in tight 45 degree banking turns - kind of fun trying to wrap your head around the physics of how that works - but it's maneuverability and shielding are nifty and in one instance where I retrofitted an autocannon onto it's hardpoint in place of the ion cannon that thing pretty much sawed an X Wing in half.

Yeah, I know, I'm nerding out at this point.
            A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

So, the TIE leapfrogged from the Zero to something like the MiG 15, while the X-wing is still like a Thunderbolt?

Don't seem fair...

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                So, the TIE leapfrogged from the Zero to something like the MiG 15, while the X-wing is still like a Thunderbolt?

Don't seem fair...
                In EU the X wings became a mixture of different fighters. You could get a F22 or a F15 style. The stealth X where pretty cool idea.

In the now cannon star wars of 6 movies, clone war move, clone war tv show, rebels tv show and a bunch of books and comics you can see that tech does evolve in star wars. The clone fighters of clone wars would become X wings and the fighter V wing starfighter would become the TIE fighter. Even storm trooper armour changed.
                you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

A black Stormtrooper ????
                  Another PC attack ??
                  A need for a quota?
                  That rug really tied the room together

Comment

you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                      No, that's tech. The TIE D is shielded, hyperdrived, gunned up, and represents a successful technological marriage between the speed and maneuverability of the TIE Interceptor and the ruggedness of heavier Rebel models like the X Wing.

Oh, it also has Proton Torpedo/Concussion Missile launchers. Don't want to forget that.
                      That's not an evolution of technology. That's applying current technology to make a better vehicle. I'm talking about coming up with new stuff, not a chimera of already proven stuff. Do don't see new science (don't count EU please) being developed in SW like it does in ST. It's stagnate, because it's not important. A TIE fighter is a TIE fighter no matter how many extra weapons or defenses it has. All of those extra weapons and defenses already exist, they're just being utilized in a different, and in this case, superior manner.

Compare a P-51A (TIE Fighter example) to a P-51D (TIE Defender example). No evolution of technology, just a better mix of current tech for that time.

Blasters, lightsabers, deflector shields, hyperdrive...to use the EU as an example...these things have remained constant for all of Star Wars no matter the era.

When last I checked the European Union didn't exist at all in the Star Wars universe. But if you mean the Empire, then no the Empire never stopped existing. After the Battle of Endor the empire went into a brief decline before being reunited under the military/political leadership of Grand Admiral Thrawn in the Zahn trilogy. After Thrawn's death it broke into factions but remained a potent power bloc and even allied with the Rebels, now New Republic, in combatting an even nastier menace called the Yuzhan Vong.
                      EU = Expanded Universe. You know that, don't play dumb. And none of that counts or exists. It's just fan fiction. All that matters are the original movies, the prequels (ugh) whatever comes out starting in December, and nearly any material related into those things (such as tie-in comics and stuff).

In the X Wing Miniatures wargame the TIE Defender is a pretty formidable adversary. The handling is a tad eccentric as it can perform a 180 degree turn without penalty but has difficulty in tight 45 degree banking turns - kind of fun trying to wrap your head around the physics of how that works - but it's maneuverability and shielding are nifty and in one instance where I retrofitted an autocannon onto it's hardpoint in place of the ion cannon that thing pretty much sawed an X Wing in half.
                      Again, nothing there speaks of an evolution of technology there, just a better utilization of current technology, so your point defends mine in the strongest possible way. Thanks.

Yeah, I know, I'm nerding out at this point.
                      Yeah, me too. But it's all fun.

The thing is, technology in Star Wars isn't important. It's the story and action that drives things along. Nothing will change (unless Abrams changes this....and he's wacky enough to do it) and nothing should ever change.

Comment

That's not an evolution of technology. That's applying current technology to make a better vehicle. I'm talking about coming up with new stuff, not a chimera of already proven stuff. Do don't see new science (don't count EU please) being developed in SW like it does in ST. It's stagnate, because it's not important. A TIE fighter is a TIE fighter no matter how many extra weapons or defenses it has. All of those extra weapons and defenses already exist, they're just being utilized in a different, and in this case, superior manner.
                        I will count the EU, thank you very much.

Compare a P-51A (TIE Fighter example) to a P-51D (TIE Defender example). No evolution of technology, just a better mix of current tech for that time.
                        There is a tech evolution as the Defender has more firepower than an X Wing with the maneuverability and speed of a TIE. That means an improved propulsion system.

Blasters, lightsabers, deflector shields, hyperdrive...to use the EU as an example...these things have remained constant for all of Star Wars no matter the era.
                        The weapons are the same but they are improved upon.

Here, read this:

EU = Expanded Universe. You know that, don't play dumb.
                        Actually TBH I hadn't seen that abbreviation used before.

And none of that counts or exists.
                        Heretic.

It's just fan fiction.
                        We burn heretics.

All that matters are the original movies, the prequels (ugh) whatever comes out starting in December, and nearly any material related into those things (such as tie-in comics and stuff).
                        The force is not strong with those whose minds are limited to the movies.

Again, nothing there speaks of an evolution of technology there, just a better utilization of current technology, so your point defends mine in the strongest possible way. Thanks.
                        Nope. Definitely an increase in tech. At first you had to decide between speed and maneuverability or ruggedness. Getting both requires more advanced tech.

Yeah, me too. But it's all fun.

The thing is, technology in Star Wars isn't important. It's the story and action that drives things along. Nothing will change (unless Abrams changes this....and he's wacky enough to do it) and nothing should ever change.
                        Tech matters in the wargame universe. Just ask the last guy to face me when I was using the Defender.

Comment

I am glad the EU is none cannon. Finally I can write up the vong as a bad dream.

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Seriously, the EU is dead. They aren't using it for the new movies as the story goes forward (or using very little of it). I don't like the EU overall, some of it is okay (KOTOR, original Han Solo trilogy), but it's not actually heresy to quote the actual truth, is it?

But, still, technological evolution isn't what you're posting about. Nothing changes in Star Wars. Things have been as they were since the beginning (either the original SW, or in the case of the EU, thousands and thousands of years ago). A lightsaber has always been a lightsaber and functions the same way all the time. A snub-fighter has always been a snub fighter and functions the same way all of the time. Hyperspace and the "jump to light speed" has always been that. Deflector shields do the exact same thing, some are stronger than others. The Death Star is nothing but existing technology grown to gigantic proportions.

A TIE Defender is just a TIE Fighter on steroids. No new technologies involved.

Evolution of the technology makes previous technology obsolete. Nothing I've seen or read of in the last 35 years has ever shown me that this is the case in Star Wars.

Now that's enough nerd-talk for now, me thinks. And getting away from the actual subject of the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                              A black Stormtrooper ????
                              Another PC attack ??
                              A need for a quota?
                              After the way Lucas got slammed for Jar-Jar Binks, its possible.

I was more flummoxed by the realization that each Star Wars Trilogy had exactly one major female character in them.
                              One.

IMHO, George Lucas is incapable of seeing women in a heroic role.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X