Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear, BBC confirms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear, BBC confirms

Jeremy Clarkson's contract will not be renewed after a physical altercation with a producer, the BBC's director general Tony Hall has said.

Lord Hall said he had "not taken this decision lightly" and recognised it would "divide opinion".

However, he added "a line has been crossed" and he "cannot condone what has happened on this occasion".

Clarkson was suspended on 10 March, following what was called a "fracas" with Oisin Tymon in a Yorkshire hotel.

The row was said to have occurred because no hot food was provided for him following a day's filming.

An internal investigation began last week, led by Ken MacQuarrie, the director of BBC Scotland.

Mr Tymon did not file a formal complaint and it is understood Clarkson reported himself to BBC bosses.
    BBC - Full Article

And yet BBC's previews of the coming season show him still on the show...
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

This will be a huge loss to the BBC for Top Gear was a global money maker and I don't think I will watch it anymore. But the BBC is ran by a bunch of wimpy lib-holes who have wanted to get rid of both Clarkson and Top Gear for years. And now all sorts of TV networks are renting armored trucks to go to Clarkson's house and will swing by May's and Hammond's homes as well.

Comment

Yep. BBC forgets. We watch rope gear because of the presenters. Not the cars.
        you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Assault someone at work (especially if you are on a final warning for your stupid immature behaviour) and you have to face the consequences.

To expect to be treated differently simply because you are rich and supposedly talented is bollocks.
          Cymru am Byth

Comment

Originally posted by McMax View Post
            This will be a huge loss to the BBC for Top Gear was a global money maker and I don't think I will watch it anymore. But the BBC is ran by a bunch of wimpy lib-holes who have wanted to get rid of both Clarkson and Top Gear for years. And now all sorts of TV networks are renting armored trucks to go to Clarkson's house and will swing by May's and Hammond's homes as well.
            Agreed. The "fracas" should be settled between Clarkson and the other involved outside of the show. BBC is cutting it's own nose off to spite its face.

Top Gear without Clarkson = not interesting at all.
            The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinmeath View Post
              Assault someone at work (especially if you are on a final warning for your stupid immature behaviour) and you have to face the consequences.

To expect to be treated differently simply because you are rich and supposedly talented is bollocks.
              Absolutely, the end of the magnificent Clarkson/Hammond/May combination is a true tragedy, but it also goes to prove that the ethics of the BBC are not governed entirely by money.
              "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
              Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
                Agreed. The "fracas" should be settled between Clarkson and the other involved outside of the show. BBC is cutting it's own nose off to spite its face.

Top Gear without Clarkson = not interesting at all.
                You think punching someone at work is a personal matter?

Comment

Cannot stand this guy.
                  How many millions of £ did he earned by blowing up classic cars,sending homophobic tweets,humiliating people,bashing nations because he doesn't like them.
                  He's a racist,he's hateful,and he is using a pseudo"self-derision" to make it more PC.
                  This is just a power seeker guy,it's only big money,and his fans watch him laughing and think "this one is a good one,Jeremy !"
                  Pathetic.And I watched each of his shows,just saying.

His historical programms were brilliant,nethertheless.
                  Last edited by sebfrench76; 26 Mar 15, 02:18.
                  That rug really tied the room together

Comment

It would appear to be a simple principle lost on some, but no organization can stand by and allow this sort of thing to go unpunished without it sending a very bad message through the ranks that violations of acceptable behaviour will be overlooked if it involves someone in a powerful position. We recently had a similar case in Canada: a well-established and extremely popular radio host on CBC radio, who over the course of a number of years allegedly (it is going to court now) abused his position in order to prey on female staffers, interns, and others, evidently relying on the idea that complaints would either not be heard or would be dismissed due to his position and standing. Although the BBC's response may have been unduly harsh (who knows what other sort of complaints may have been lodged by BBC production underlings against Clarkson over the years), the sole responsible party for what has occurred has been Jeremy Clarkson himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                      It would appear to be a simple principle lost on some, but no organization can stand by and allow this sort of thing to go unpunished without it sending a very bad message through the ranks that violations of acceptable behaviour will be overlooked if it involves someone in a powerful position. We recently had a similar case in Canada: a well-established and extremely popular radio host on CBC radio, who over the course of a number of years allegedly (it is going to court now) abused his position in order to prey on female staffers, interns, and others, evidently relying on the idea that complaints would either not be heard or would be dismissed due to his position and standing. Although the BBC's response may have been unduly harsh (who knows what other sort of complaints may have been lodged by BBC production underlings against Clarkson over the years), the sole responsible party for what has occurred has been Jeremy Clarkson himself.
                      Well said. That behavior is completely unacceptable.

BBC did the right thing knowing they will take a major hit. Clarkson and the rest of the TG crew will land on their feet, and possibly even benefit.
                      ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                        Absolutely, the end of the magnificent Clarkson/Hammond/May combination is a true tragedy, but it also goes to prove that the ethics of the BBC are not governed entirely by money.
                        I like Top Gear and watch it and (being a 'lad' I suppose) enjoy the laddish un-PC behaviour and attitude.

However there is a point where this behaviour ceases to be amusing and even refreshing and simply becomes rude and obnoxious. Using the work 'tigger' (replace the T with an N) is not amusing its just rude for instance.

Depending upon which source you read after a long days filming (some sources claim that long day included several hours in the pub) Clarkson and Co returned to their hotel to be told the kitchen was closed and only cold food was available not the steak that Clarkson wanted.

He then verbally abuses an employee for 20 minute (Irish c**t was a prominent phrase apparently) and finally physically assaulted the employee.

In any work place that's not acceptable its not un-PC and not over sensitive 'Leftie' nonsense its the actions of a bully who has allowed his ego (and perhaps the beer) to get larger than his brains.

Clarkson will be picked up by another network and who will remake Top Gear and Clarkson's upper class friends such as the ever so witty (tosser) AA Gill will portray him as a victim of vulgar leftie PC crusaders, if so he'll continue to develop from an amusing person into a pampered obnoxious fool.

Just perhaps he might grow up he is in his 50's its about time.
                        Last edited by Kevinmeath; 26 Mar 15, 06:19.
                        Cymru am Byth

Comment

portray him as a victim of vulgar leftie PC crusaders,
                          http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...on-use-3481201

What do you call that except being 'a victim of vulgar leftie PC crusaders'?

It was after that 'exposť' that the BBC decided that he would be on his final warning.
                          For my money he was beered up, he was hungry and he just thought feck it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post
                            http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...on-use-3481201

What do you call that except being 'a victim of vulgar leftie PC crusaders'?

It was after that 'exposť' that the BBC decided that he would be on his final warning.
                            For my money he was beered up, he was hungry and he just thought feck it.
                            And that was his first offence was it?

Assaulting an employee because you don't like the menu is the act of a bully --I like the Top Gear and it anti PC attitude but there is a point where that becomes simply rude.

What do you think should happen to a 'star' who assaults an employee?

The BBC may of course had little option because if I had to advise a friend who had been assaulted at work by his boss I'd tell him to get a lawyer.
                            Cymru am Byth

Comment

And that was his first offence was it?
                              It wasn't even an offence anyway!

Assaulting an employee because you don't like the menu is the act of a bully --I like the Top Gear and it anti PC attitude but there is a point where that becomes simply rude.

What do you think should happen to a 'star' who assaults an employee?

The BBC may of course had little option because if I had to advise a friend who had been assaulted at work by his boss I'd tell him to get a lawyer.
                              Of course he was going to get sacked - treat someone with the creative temperament like Clarkson like that, and you pretty much provoke him into sacking himself.
                              Good job BBC, I hope you lose ££££££ millions.

Oh, and the fellow he 'assaulted' will expect to make a pretty penny out of this.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X