Snowpiercer (spoilers below)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowpiercer (spoilers below)

I rarely bother with foreign movies, but I decided to give it a try on Netflix.

At the movie's conclusion, my mind was literally blown away.

It has great cinematography and some scenes were truly thoughtful-provoking and simply awesome to say least. The dialogue is good. There is a lot of stuff that touches some political issues like 99% and 1%, Marxism, etc. I suppose symbolism is apparent but I can't be sure as I think most of that is connected with Korean culture. The fight scenes are well done. An ensemble cast is shown in Snowpiercer and all cast members played their parts very well.

The interesting thing about its backdrop is that it mocks global warming by making human intervention to REDUCE it the primary cause that almost drove humanity to extinct. I thought that was cool because most of time in other movies you see human intervention usually ends up as the main cause of global warming which leads to catastrophic events on the planet. In Snowpiercer, it's the other way around, human intervention in global warming causes the world to freeze over. A brilliant, creative move on the director's part.

The humanity is reduced to riding on a state of art train better known as the Ark but is also divided hierarchically and the tail section is pretty much screwed over. The front section is the Eternal Engine, which can function for as long it is run continuously. The story is about the tail section trying to take over the front section, a typical case of class warfare.

There are two main scenes that I can't get which I think are among the best I've seen. The first scene is when the train crosses the Bridge, it is at this place that the year-round trip ends and a new year is commenced. The revolutionaries and the guards were fighting each other, but a lull is enforced as they retreated back to the opposite sides of the train can respectively. Toward the Bridge, the soldiers thrust upward their melee weapons in unison as they shouted happy new year. That scene is awesome and lingers in your memory, it's done very well and is memorable.

The second scene is of a teacher taking time to explain to the children the virtues of maintaining balance and worshiping Mr. Wilbfurd (spelling?) and his Eternal Engine. The teacher's acting really shone very brightly and in my opinion is the best highlight of the movie. The scene is mesmerizing. The way children swallowed everything the teacher taught goes to the heart of the movie which is that human mind is easily impressionable. People will believe anything what the superiors say and even if they are driven to desperation, like the tail section trying to take over, they still need to believe in something that will sustain themselves as they try to survive in the confined spaces of the Ark. To me, the scene is memorable enough despite having watched it last week.

The most memorable character has to be Mason, a female spokesman for Mr. Wilbfurd and dressed in flamboyant and cheeky fashion. Her acting and dialogue are very good. She reminds me of the female spokesman, I can't remember her name, in the Hunger Games. The way she spoke makes you really want to smash her mouth and carve up her in pieces. She actually believes in every word coming out of her mouth, no matter how unrealistic it sounded and seems to be so contradictory to the reality of how the tail section was forced to survive for 17 years on the Ark. She complains loudly that the tail section is ungrateful for the Eternal Engine and should be happy that it's receiving protein bars as if the front section sacrificed something to ensue the tail section's survival. She also reminds me of Obama and Democrats in a similar way.

Don't get me started with the protein bars. Oh wow! You just have to see it to understand how mind boggling it was when I found out what they were made of. The tail section literally ate really, really, really, really bad food.

I would recommend anyone to watch Snowpiercer. You just have to watch it to understand fully how good it is. My review can't do justice in praising how good Snowpiercer is. So...watch the movie!
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

This is a French comic first,I repeat,this is a French comic first

And why don't you bother with foreign movies btw?No sarcasm in my question.
    Last edited by sebfrench76; 07 Nov 14, 07:49.
    That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Will be better with that
      http://io9.com/the-original-snowpier...t-i-1507420694
      That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
        This is a French comic first,I repeat,this is a French comic first

And why don't you bother with foreign movies btw?No sarcasm in my question.
        Thanks for the link.

I didn't know that it was a French comic first. That's news to me. I assumed it was something Korean related because it was directed by a Korean and released first in South Korea, I think.

I rarely watch foreign movies because that's just not my thing. Nothing against them really. More to do with my movie tastes, that's all.
        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X