No announcement yet.

NOW SHOWING: Fury (2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you catch the part where the captain explained why they were "all I've got" ?
    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
    Hyperwar, Whats New
    World War II Resources
    The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
      No, I didn't. What did he say?
      Pretty much that. I didn't write it down, of course, but when he sent them to hold the crossroads he explains why he doesn't have anything else to go with them and that they are "all I've got". Might be in the quotes on IMDB.
      Hyperwar, Whats New
      World War II Resources

Comment

Thanks, I'll look for that. (the contrivance, hehe) My personal hope is that this movie will do very well, and then attract financing for similar, but larger projects down the line. Eventually there may be a tank movie that has the impact of SPR and have the attention to detail that BoB/Pacific had.

I did a count for the last scene while watching it and I got
        Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
        Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
        Barbarossa Derailed I & II
        Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

Good points.

Maybe having the legit Tiger, while I'd say it shows some dedication, wasn't the BEST idea, financially? Of course even with more funding in the future, I don't know that they'd use the legit Tiger as it'd be repetitive to feature it again, unless it was used more in passing as opposed to being a more integral part of the movie. But then, why not have a really good mock-up Tiger if it's going to be in passing. It'd probably be better to have mock up Panzer IIIs, Panzer IVs, and Panthers (depending on where and when it would take place).
          "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
            Thanks, I'll look for that. (the contrivance, hehe) My personal hope is that this movie will do very well, and then attract financing for similar, but larger projects down the line. Eventually there may be a tank movie that has the impact of SPR and have the attention to detail that BoB/Pacific had.

I did a count for the last scene while watching it and I got
            It made its production costs back in three days. That's promising.
            Hyperwar, Whats New
            World War II Resources

Comment

Yeah there's no doubt that it's going places. Seems like it's a pretty big hit.
              "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
                Yeah there's no doubt that it's going places. Seems like it's a pretty big hit.
                Now if they just hire Dale Dye for the next one.
                Hyperwar, Whats New
                World War II Resources

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
                  And, does this sound right?
                  Well...starting with the Tiger's armor layout, the sides were only 60 mm--but the lower sides, i.e., behind the wheels. The upper sides were 80 mm, just like the rear. So to get through to the 60 mm armor on the lower sides, you first had to penetrate at least three road wheels. The 76 mm gun M1 series used on the Sherman were 52 calibers using the US measuring system (bore length only) and 54.6 calibers using the German system (muzzle to the rear face of breech). The Sherman did use a 40-caliber gun, but it was the 75 mm gun M3, which was 40.1 calibers long using the German system and 37.5 using the US system. Using APC M62, the 76 mm gun could penetrate 93 mm at 500 yards, so claiming that it could "easily" tackle a Tiger's 10-12 cm of frontal armor seems a bit of a stretch. The HVAP M93 shot would be able to handle the Tiger frontally at those ranges, but those were rare.

Comment

Fuhrer Grenadier Brigade, Battle of the Bulge. Tank crewman describes getting what's it like to get hit by a phosporous shell.

The reconnaissance in force from Hoscheid through Goebelsmühle toward Heiderscheid was described by a participating member of 3rd Company, Panzer Battalion FGB:
                    “Our tank, commanded by Unteroffizier Müller, belonged to 3rd Company. We made our approach and at first found everything quiet at the outskirts of Heiderscheid. I envisaged once again how the Amis would likely react when we came. It was well known that when two German panzers turned up the Americans countered with at least seven; and when they didn’t have them they stayed out of sight.
                    We were about to drive through a defile into the town, when we saw several Amis running and quickly fired two high-explosive shells after them. Before the third H.E. round left the barrel, however, we were ourselves hit, by a phosphorous shell. At the instant we were hit the turret was in the 11 o’clock position. As a result the radio operator couldn’t get out as his hatch was blocked. We were unable to save him from the now burning tank and he burned to death. Our driver, Gefreiter Eder, got out safely, but he was mowed down by a machine-gun firing from the window of a house from a range of about 15 metres. Tank commander Unteroffizier Müller escaped from the turret with several burns; I myself was in the process of crawling out of the turret when I became caught. A mortal dread seized me that the lower part of my body would be slowly burned, but finally I managed to jump clear. Finally the gunner, covered with burns, also got out. Lying beside the tank, he screamed in pain. I tried to pull him into the cover of the tank, especially since the Amis were using us for target practice. As I was doing so gunner Schäfer was hit by an explosive bullet that almost severed his arm. Shortly thereafter he was hit in the stomach and was killed. I myself crept alone into the town to where the other panzers had stopped. In the course of the next few hours we all withdrew.”
                    Zhitomir-Berdichev, West of Kiev: 24 Dec 1943-31 Jan 1944
                    Stalin's Favorite: The Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army
                    Barbarossa Derailed I & II
                    Battle of Kalinin October 1941

Comment

Yikes!

--Hávamál

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X