Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terror at the Mall (HBO Documentary Films)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terror at the Mall (HBO Documentary Films)

This is was excellent documentary and I recommend it to anyone, "Terror at the Mall" can be seen on HBO and HBO.com if your a subscriber to HBO.

Terror at the Mall details the 2013 Westgate shopping mall attack carried out by al Shabaab in Kenya, by providing the viewer with security camera footage, as well as footage recorded by a reporter.

The footage shows us the brutality of the Muslim terrorists, but also shows us the heroics of both ordinary citizens as well as the Armed volunteers(both policemen and civilians) who took it upon themselves to confront the terrorists. It was noteworthy that two of the Armed volunteers who took up arms to fight the terrorists were Muslims, and they were angry at how these terrorists say they represent Islam.

On Sept. 21, 2013, Al-Shabaab, an Al Qaeda-linked terrorist group from Somalia, attacked Westgate Mall in neighboring Kenya. The siege lasted 49 hours, leaving 71 dead and hundreds wounded.

Told from the vantage point of more than 100 security cameras revealing hours of previously unseen mall surveillance video, and drawing on extensive photos taken during the attack and testimony from survivors and rescuers depicted in the footage and photos, TERROR AT THE MALL recalls the horror of the attack, as well as the courage and resilience of ordinary citizens in the face of mass murder.* Dan Reed (HBO's Emmy®-nominated "Terror in Mumbai") directs.***********

"Westgate was one place where you meet people of different cultures, different tribes, different religions, different everything. I think that was the most special thing," says survivor Jasmine Postwalla. Housing many restaurants and stores, including Nakumatt, a giant two-floor supermarket, Westgate attracted a wide range of customers. "It was the best mall in Nairobi," notes one shopper. "It was the place where prominent people come."

"That Saturday was really a normal Saturday, like any other Saturday," recalls survivor Amber Prior, who was shopping at the mall with her six-year-old daughter and four-year-old son. Margie Brand and her eight-month-old baby shopped for groceries in Nakumatt, while Valentine Kadzo was setting up a computer display table by the front entrance.

At 12:30 p.m., shopper Andrew Munyua had just passed through the security check to enter the mall when he heard a loud explosion, and the guard who had been searching him fell to the ground. Witnesses recall that gunfire quickly followed the grenade explosion. Security footage shows restaurant patrons falling from their seats, some diving for cover, while others had been knocked to the ground. Niall Saville and his wife, Moon Hee, were eating lunch in Westgate's burger restaurant when the attack began. "I realized that my wife wasn't actually behind me," recalls Saville. "I saw her crawling on the ground, clearly in a lot of pain."

Chaos reigned in the early moments of the siege, with frightened shoppers running for their lives, unsure of the origin of the attack. "People are confused, they don't know where to go, stepping on each other," recalls Valentine. As the security footage shows, when she spotted Katherine Walton and her three young daughters running in different directions, she picked up one of the girls, and all five dove behind the computer display table. Many hid within the mall, while hundreds of shoppers fled to the back of the supermarket.

more,

http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/ter.../synopsis.html

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X