A Show Worth Watching...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Show Worth Watching...

As I often commented on in my Star Trek TNG thread, there isn't much on television I find worth watching. Recently, because of the snow storms here, I had a few days off and took a bit of time to channel surf. I found a show I think worth watching, and wondered if any of you had seen it.

This show is based on the DC comics character the Green Arrow. I watched one of the season two episodes and thought it pretty good. I then found all of season one on Netflex, and after watching those I thought I would make a few comments.

The production values are akin to those found in the Walking Dead, and I believe fans of that show will see the similarities. It also draws some inspiration from Lost, as part of the narrative takes place during flashbacks to when the main character was stranded on an island in the North China Sea. But what I found most enjoyable about the show was the obvious effort the writers put into the two evolving story lines.

Television writers often get lazy or suffer from just being inept. Again witness seasons one and seven from TNG. But this group of writers had a plan, a season long script to be revealed in slow and deliberate jumps leading to a pre-designed conclusion. True, the scenes involving Oliver Queen on the island suffer from inherent anti-climax. The viewer knows ahead of time any trouble Queen found himself in on the island he would survive, otherwise there would be no post rescue story of him as the Hood. But even given that unavoidable flaw the scenes from the island are still wrapped in the overall mystery of how he survived and how his experiences there reflect on his actions as a modern day night-stalking vigilante. It is a good story, which is the essence of good television. Even a weak cast or poor production values can be saved by the effective telling of a good story.

The show does have its flaws, of course. The acting is at times either over the top or a bit stilted. The villains do leap right off the pages of a comic book, but that can be overlooked because the story revolves around a comic book character. Queen's ability to dodge automatic weapons fire is pure camp. Disposable characters sometimes walk into death as if they were automatons. The cops are inept. The love interest sub-plots drag at times, but at least serve to define who Queen is. But in reality these are nitpicks, logical hick-ups which, while perhaps annoying, do not detract enough from the overall quality to turn a viewer away.

And the show has this babe in it, who tends to steal every scene she is in:

Felicity Smoak, as in Smoakin' Hot techno-babe.

Again what I like most about Arrow is the intentional and deliberate development of the story. Elements clearly not meant to be revealed until season two are introduced in season one, something not all episodic television shows are willing to do. Additional characters begin to be introduced as well, including a teenage kid obviously meant to be the Green Arrows sidekick Speedy. Although I hope they don't call him that. Somewhere in season two I understand the Flash is destined to be featured, apparently to set up a stand alone Flash series. But overall the story reflects interesting drama, something distinctly lacking in most current television.

Here is the extended trailer originally made to introduce Arrow:

And the trailer to set up season two:

So, has anyone else seen this? If so I would appreciate your comments.
    Last edited by Martok; 27 Jan 14, 10:05.

I've seen the show. Green Arrow has been one of my all time favorite comic book characters.

They certainly altered some of his backstory about his time on the island and introduced another character that had nothing to do with Oliver's time on the island. That said I do enjoy the show. I'm about three episodes behind on season 2.
    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Thanks for the response.

The Green Lantern/Green Arrow cross-over series was the one DC comic line I really liked. The Arrow was an empathetic character, kind of like Spider-man.

I don't recall, but I am guessing the Canary character is from the comic books? It seemed a waste of air time to run that bit in season one where Laurel's mother shows up insisting Sara is still alive if she wasn't actually still alive.

I found season two, at least what shows have been aired, online at watch-tvseries dot net.

http://www.watch-tvseries.net/series...de-04-Crucible
      Last edited by Martok; 27 Jan 14, 12:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Martok View Post
        Thanks for the response.

The Green Lantern/Green Arrow cross-over series was the one DC comic line I really liked. The Arrow was an empathetic character, kind of like Spider-man.

I don't recall, but I am guessing the Canary character is from the comic books? It seemed a waste of air time to run that bit in season one where Laurel's mother shows up insisting Sara is still alive if she wasn't actually still alive.

I found season two, at least what shows have been aired, online at watch-tvseries dot net.

http://www.watch-tvseries.net/series...de-04-Crucible
        Black Canary is from the books. She and Ollie were in a relationship for a long time.
        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

I'm liking it. Thanks...
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Watch it, like it, considerably more than TNG.
            Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Tsar View Post
              Watch it, like it, considerably more than TNG.
              Season two is shaping up pretty good. Lot of plot twist.

Comment

I discovered Arrow right before Season 2 started. I was home sick and ended up watching all of Season 1 (thank you Netflix) in about 2 days. I love the show, I don't miss it. I'm a comic reader, never really big on Green Arrow, but I know enough to totally love the cameos and characters they have introduced thus far.
                Taylor to Santa Anna: "Tell him to go to hell."
                As translated by Major Bliss: "In reply to your note of this date, summoning me to surrender my forces at discretion, I beg leave to say that I decline acceding to your request."

Comment

My family and I watch it. It's silly but fun.
                  The US show my wife and daughter like the most though is Revenge, though its a little too soapy for me.

Comment

Pretty good show at the beginning but got a bit weird and all strung out. I still watch it when something like Gunsmoke ain't on.
                    Skip

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X