Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Hollywood ignore the fact that the Romans fought in formations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
    could be worse, think if say fox had run it
    I would rather Fox ran it. They would have cut out all the unnecessary nudity and bedroom scenes and freed up more time for the vast tracts of plot HBO ignored.

Tywin's service as Hand was terribly misrepresented, and the Battle of King's Landing was a farce. The Red Wedding wasn't done well, either.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

The Lannisters are my favorite characters so maybe thats why I like the show so much lol.

I read the first four books but haven't kept up with the others.
      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

I agree some things could've been done better or in a different way but just the fact that we're watching it and that its a success is great as far as I'm concerned.
        "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
          Yeah, its getting better, but they have a long way to go.

At least the 80s habit of shooting from the hip with the stock folded has passed...
          It can never be completly realistic because high body counts are exciting.
          texjoy861 from youtube:

"Aaron Sorkin writes like a limousine liberal version of Ayn Rand. None of the characters sound remotely like human beings."

Comment

Drama. The real Roman way of war was methodical, economical, and effective.

Just like in modern war movies you seldom see teamwork, suppressive fire, or effective use of cover. Instead, you see guys standing exposed and blazing away madly.

Directors go for what 'looks cool' at the expense of everything else.
            Best tactics I have seen are in the series Strikeback.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I would rather Fox ran it. They would have cut out all the unnecessary nudity and bedroom scenes and freed up more time for the vast tracts of plot HBO ignored.

Tywin's service as Hand was terribly misrepresented, and the Battle of King's Landing was a farce. The Red Wedding wasn't done well, either.
              FOX would've cancelled the show after the first season.
              If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
                rome did a lot of things right.
                Wow! Thanx for that, I hadn't seen anything of that series. I'll take a look now. Boy, if I'm sick and tired of PC, those Romans were a total relief from PC, weren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                  The Lannisters are my favorite characters so maybe thats why I like the show so much lol.

I read the first four books but haven't kept up with the others.
                  No point. Books Five and Six are a mess, and Martin isn't planning on finishing the series until the network series catches up with him, so you've got years of nothing new ahead of you.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

How's this for a battle formation?

BTW- those are REAL MEN out there, not CGI

Of course, that is 1960. Spartacus, the movie.
                    But who has time for the classics, eh?
                    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                      How's this for a battle formation?

BTW- those are REAL MEN out there, not CGI

Of course, that is 1960. Spartacus, the movie.
                      But who has time for the classics, eh?
                      What about the flat-tops?

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Not That I agree but John Ford said . " When History interfears with leadgned , Film the leadgned . or something like that .

Comment

I don't thnink people belive legends anymore, so let's have some history.
                          texjoy861 from youtube:

"Aaron Sorkin writes like a limousine liberal version of Ayn Rand. None of the characters sound remotely like human beings."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X