The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

Nobody has posted this yet? Has anyone been to see it yet?

I saw it and I loved it. Will be going back next Sunday. I also had the best bacon cheeseburger I have ever eaten after the movie...from Red Robin of all places. It was a good day for me.

Well, anyway, unlike the first one, it parted from the original story much at times. Which is okay, because doing that makes for a great set of movies. Good characters, good action (quite a bit of it again)...it was just a damned good movie.

I'm a little disappointed with Bolg, but it worked out.

Smaug...Cumberbatch...was awesome. Literally. Anyone wants to put a dragon in a movie from this point forward now has a yardstick to measure themselves and their efforts with.
    The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Yeah I enjoyed it.
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Haters gonna hate.
      Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
      Hyperwar, Whats New
      World War II Resources
      The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

I'm going to wait until There and Back Again is released on DVD and then watch all six films (both Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogies) in sequence.
        SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Saw it twice. Worth it!
          "I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

I saw it and went back and forth between hating it and liking it. No love though. The river sequence, Smaug being retarded, Thandruil looking like he was constipated and the entire subplot trying to tie The Hobbit in to LOTR made me rage.

On the plus side, Martin Freeman needs a freaking Oscar! He's amazing!
            Smaug emerging from the treasure pile and persuing Bilbo down to the bottom was awesome and freaky and made me nervous all at the same time.

I was prepared to hate Tauriel, but she's nice eye candy.

Basically anything in the book was good, anything Jackson added made me puke.

Comment

Saw it and liked it.
              "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Yeah enjoyed it . It flowed better than the first one which I found plodding and a bit boring at times...

Comment

Not as good as the prvious or the LOTR trilogy. Beorn and his story are badly done, dragon is unable to kill a bunch of dwarfs who produce gold at an astonishing rate, Bard is now the leader of opposition.
                  There are no Nazis in Ukraine. Idiots

Comment

After having seen the first installment of the Hobbit, I am more interested in hearing about this bacon cheeseburger the OP mentioned. Did it have a sesame seed bun? sauce? did it come with fries?

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                      After having seen the first installment of the Hobbit, I am more interested in hearing about this bacon cheeseburger the OP mentioned. Did it have a sesame seed bun? sauce? did it come with fries?
                      Did you forget this:

But, okay:

I don't go to Red Robin eateries that often, there was one nearby the theatre, my wife and I were hungry, and we didn't really want fast food/take out. So, I ordered the bacon cheeseburger, though I should have gotten something healthy. Basic setup, medium-well cooked meat, mayo, swiss cheese, bacon, lettuce, crisp tomato, sesame seed bun. Didn't think much of it, but they hit the nail on the head this time around--it was magical. The fries were average (Red Robin has "bottomless" fries, meaning if you run out, they'll give you more), but they worked.

So, the perfect burger when I wasn't expecting it. A fantastic movie (which I was expecting). Next Sunday, we are doing the exact same thing. Same movie, same theatre, same time, same restaurant, same food. I want lightning to strike twice.
                      The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jones View Post
                        I'm going to wait until There and Back Again is released on DVD and then watch all six films (both Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogies) in sequence.
                        Back to back? That's about 20 hours of viewing pleasure?

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                          ...I am more interested in hearing about this bacon cheeseburger the OP mentioned.
                          Me too.
                          "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Slug, I want you to be around for a long time in good shape. Stay away from Taco hell and avoid soft drinks with corn syrup. Just saying, I like you and wish you a long and healthy life.
                            Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

I saw it twice, once in regular and once in 3D. The first time I gave it a 4.5/5 due to Legolas getting way too much screen time and literally surfing on dwarven faces to prove how much better he is than the dwarves (Jackson made Gimli a joke compared to Legolas in the first trilogy for some reason.)

However after seeing it a second time it didn't bother me that much, all the action sequences were great, even (or especially) the elven ones, yet the dwarves held their own in all circumstances. The pacing of this movie was great, the dialogue memorable and the action was fantastic, so all in all I am liking this trilogy more and more as it goes on.

It took me 3 times to really start liking the first Hobbit film, I just couldn't separate it from the LoTR trilogy in my mind and it was falling short. Once I finally started to like it on it's own merits rather than its deficiencies (or lack of) compared to the older trilogy I really became a fan.

My one word positive review for this film would be: BOMBUR! Bombur stole the show for me, I was laughing every time he was on screen(at least until Erebor). During the river chase, Bombur instantly made the movie for me.

Edit: Smaug was done expertly! Every bit as great as Gollum in the prior trilogy. I won't question the science behind the dwarven furnaces, after all they are fighting a giant fire breathing dragon so if you suspend your disbelief I think the entire Smaug sequence was highly entertaining and dare I say it... Fantastic.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X