Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
    Have you read World War Z?

It goes into all of the stuff you mention.

Excellent book.

Nothing like the movie from what I understand.
    Thanks for the recommending the book, I'll take that into consideration.

While we're on the subject of governments dealing with the zombie crisis, I have to admit that Walking Dead's main strength deals mostly with dialogue and character development but is also a liability when it neglects the events occurring offside in Walking Dead. I mean, there must be some sort of ad hoc government struggling to get itself in order and sets out to combat the zombie crisis more effectively.
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

It looks like the writers learned tank tactics from playing Battlefield 4: One man can operate the tank (i.e "Joe Toye") by driving and firing the cannon. Another guy can just fire small arms from the loader hatch.

Did "Joe Toye" jump from the loaders hatch when Daryl dropped the grenade?

Also, I think the driver would've survived that blast.

Overall, wretched tactics. "Hey, let's all bunch up and park our vehicles next to each other then drive criss cross!"

The first cannon hit was just as a warning... remember, the Governor wanted to take the prison without casualties... the other cannon blasts were just well placed explosives set off by demolition experts that in no way simulated real HE rounds.

And of course an M60 and no M1... a tank is a tank in the minds of the writers. No sense of accuracy here.

If you looks at the Walking Dead pedia page, it lists the varied firearms that span across the show... it's basically that in a post-apocolypse world, unique firearms like a Austrian Steyr AUG, Finnish Valmat, and Arctic Warfare Sniper rifles just abound in Georgia...

The overall casualties, the Governor's army took a beating. I didn't see many of Rick's group go down, only the unnamed Julio with the sniper rifle. A few implied red shirt prison community tumble forward with the fake cannon blast, and Bob with a clean wound. That's like 3-4 vs. 20? Horrible way to take a prison.

Don't let writers ever be tacticians.

Oh, and I think Daryl said to Carl "150 yards", not "50 yards". 150 yards sounds and looks about right.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
        I was wondering about that as well.

Frankly I just cannot believe that the Army or even National Guards could disintegrate that easily when the zombie crisis broke out. With plenty of arms and heavy equipment, they could regroup and figure out how to make a position more defensible and suitable for the civilization to thrive again.

I would have thought that even restoring power is doable if the military got its stuff together and search out qualified engineers to bring in. Basically as soon the units linked together, they could have moved out to seek factories, power plants, etc. to form a defensive position and use power to develop some anti-zombie measures.

Even in the midst of zombie crisis, I find it incredibly hard to believe that no city or town was barely standing.
        Originally posted by Captain General View Post
        Have you read World War Z?

It goes into all of the stuff you mention.

Excellent book.

Nothing like the movie from what I understand.

The book is good.
        While I find the book to be overrated the Battle for New York was well written.

I don't think it is all that far fetched that the military could lose a lot of it's cohesion. Each base has personnel from all over the country. It would be hard for them to stay on base while their families are in danger. That said, I would have to assume that some smaller units could remain intact during a crises.
        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

The reason the tank was firing high is because the Governor didn't want to blast his new home full of holes for the walkers.

Yes, the tactics used on this show are horrendous. Why is the Governors group looking for a new home? He convinced them that the ditches surrounding their camp would be filled. Excuse me? Can they not dig deeper? Wider? Multiple sets? Ugh...I'm going to ignore the problems with the show and try to enjoy it like the simple minded folks it was intended for.
          "In the absence of orders...find something and kill it!" Lt. General Erwin Rommel, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
            That was an M-60. I noticed someone had removed the 50 caliber MG from the cupola on top. That kind of cupola only went on the M-60 and M-48. I think the only M-60's available in Georgia right now are static displays. The Georgia National Guard has M-1 tanks stored at Fort Stewart. They leave expensive Guard equipment like this at an active army base so the Regulars can run maintenance on them. We used to have an M-48 in front of Fort Polk.

Pruitt
            On the Talking Dead, they said it was a tank that saw time in the Vietnam War and was now in a personal collection. The guy who loaned it to the show was supervising on the shoot, but it didn't say if he was a tanker or not.
            "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
            -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

They used a tank in the show because they couldn't get an M2 Bradley which was featured in the comic as the AFV assaulting the prison... simple as that

Comment

I can't say if any M-60's were in the ARVN. I do know they had some M-48's. If it was someone's personal tank that might explain why the coax machine gun was not used (it was removed). I don't see customs allowing an M-60 back in the country from Vietnam.

I can see why a Bradley was used in the comic book. There are lots of surplus Bradleys in the US. A large number of them were assigned to National Guard units that were converted to Light Infantry, like in the Louisiana Guard. One thing though, you can't throw a grenade down the 25mm main gun! They would have to be dumb enough to leave a hatch open.

Pruitt
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Well to be fair, he (the tank guy) did not seem like the sharpest tool in the shed.
                  "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
                    Well to be fair, he (the tank guy) did not seem like the sharpest tool in the shed.
                    I know a tanker who served in the late-70's, early 80's post-Vietnam US Army when they were... not the caliber of the Desert Storm army. The "Joe Toye" (Kick Acevedo who was also in Band of Brothers) character reminded me a lot of that guy, wife beater, gung ho attitude, operated in a M-60, and all... The guy would tell me stories of him smoking pot during training (in Germany near the Fulda Gap nonetheless) and crazy stuff... so yeah... not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                      I can't say if any M-60's were in the ARVN. I do know they had some M-48's. If it was someone's personal tank that might explain why the coax machine gun was not used (it was removed). I don't see customs allowing an M-60 back in the country from Vietnam.

I can see why a Bradley was used in the comic book. There are lots of surplus Bradleys in the US. A large number of them were assigned to National Guard units that were converted to Light Infantry, like in the Louisiana Guard. One thing though, you can't throw a grenade down the 25mm main gun! They would have to be dumb enough to leave a hatch open.

Pruitt
                      Which is what the Bradley belonged to in the books. In fact Rick's group could've had the Bradley as they found it while raiding an guard armory.
                      If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

I would like the show better if they had shown the group raiding a Guard Armory. Actually the Bradleys are kept at active duty stations and not at the Guard Armories. When I was teaching at DeQuincy High School there was a Guard Armory next door. I remember when they brought a Bradley down and kept it there for a short time. They brought it in from Fort Polk. Like the M-1, they prefer active duty people running maintenance year round on them.

I can't say how much ammo they keep at a Guard Armory, but they would keep small arms there. I doubt Washington wants to store large amounts of ammo at any Armory (remember when they were seized in 1861?).

Pruitt
                        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

They were two guys operating the tank. Go back and look when they pulled up to fence. So I am thinking the long hair guy drove it. and the "expert" loaded, aimed, fired, and commanded. When the grenade was dropped he said bail out. I am sure he would not say that to himself. Now I am not sure if drive can access the turret. But remember this is a fiction show zombies would have rotted out a long time a ago.
                          Are we there yet?

Comment

^ I talk to myself all the time

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
                              ^ I talk to myself all the time

Really sucks when you get in an argument, and you have to kick your a**.
                              Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

Originally posted by tigersqn View Post
                                Really sucks when you get in an argument, and you have to kick your a**.
                                Ha! I'm undefeated.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X