Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colonial era military movies: like or not?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Colonial era military movies: like or not?

    ZULU: Terrific film about a "Hollywood" style *real battle. Welsh bottle, here.

    BEAU GESTE (1939): French Foriegn Legion vs hordes of Tuaregs. Coop makes "Gallant gesture!". Marvelous Brian Donlevy as villainous sergeant; this I promise you!

    MARCH OR DIE: Rather disappointing FFL film. Seems to drift, leading to fairly good battle hokum with hordes of Rifs getting slaughtered. If Abdel Krim was that bad a leader, he wouldn't have lasted several years and massacred a Spanish Force.


    What are your choices?

  • #2
    Yeah I just watched Zulu and liked it.
    Credo quia absurdum.


    Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

    Comment


    • #3
      Like.

      The Victorian era is one of my favorites.
      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

      Homer


      BoRG

      Comment


      • #4
        You just watched it for the first time?
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

        Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

        you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

        Comment


        • #5
          Don't forget these:

          Zulu Dawn (The "prequel" to Zulu)

          Breaker Morant

          The Man Who Would Be King

          Khartoum

          Young Winston

          Son of the Morning Star
          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

          Homer


          BoRG

          Comment


          • #6
            I've been following your advice for movies CG. So far you've been spot on...
            Credo quia absurdum.


            Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

            Comment


            • #7


              A real oldie but one of my favorites.



              Jimmy in one of his best roles.
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

              Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

              you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                I've been following your advice for movies CG. So far you've been spot on...
                Thanks!

                I appreciate it.
                "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

                Homer


                BoRG

                Comment


                • #9
                  Zulu was great (if not that accurate in details but not many history films are).

                  Zulu Dawn don't like it at all, especially for showing redcoats breaking and running, they didn't they formed 'rally squares' and died fighting.

                  Even the 2/24th company (forget letter) which was caught in line formed pathetic little 'squares'.

                  and Durnford far from being the 'Irish Hero' battling against 'English' aristocrats can (it is debated) be blamed to a large degree for the disaster.

                  The Man Who Would be King-- is a great movie
                  Cymru am Byth

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kevinmeath View Post
                    Zulu was great (if not that accurate in details but not many history films are).

                    Zulu Dawn don't like it at all, especially for showing redcoats breaking and running, they didn't they formed 'rally squares' and died fighting.

                    Even the 2/24th company (forget letter) which was caught in line formed pathetic little 'squares'.

                    and Durnford far from being the 'Irish Hero' battling against 'English' aristocrats can (it is debated) be blamed to a large degree for the disaster.

                    The Man Who Would be King-- is a great movie
                    I didn't suggest the Zulu Dawn film for its historical accuracy.

                    I've read Mike Snook's book so I'm well aware of the last stand of the infantry at Ishandlwana. And of the role Durnford played in the collapse of the British right which led to the camp being overrun.

                    I was just throwing out some names of movies from the time period people might enjoy.
                    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

                    Homer


                    BoRG

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                      I didn't suggest the Zulu Dawn film for its historical accuracy.

                      I've read Mike Snook's book so I'm well aware of the last stand of the infantry at Ishandlwana. And of the role Durnford played in the collapse of the British right which led to the camp being overrun.

                      I was just throwing out some names of movies from the time period people might enjoy.


                      Wasn't complaining saying two I really liked and one I didn't.

                      I liked Mike Snooks book on Isandlwana -- his one on Rorkes Drift is ok but I prefer Adrian Greaves for that battle.
                      Cymru am Byth

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This hasn't been mentioned yet.

                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                        Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                        you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                          The Man Who Would Be King
                          Can never go wrong with a John Houston flick.



                          Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post


                          A real oldie but one of my favorites.



                          Jimmy in one of his best roles.
                          Hard to go wrong with John Ford films, either.

                          Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                          This hasn't been mentioned yet.

                          Daniel Day Lewis may be the greatest actor of his generation, but Michael Mann fare no longer excites me -- if it ever did, that is. It's really something when the actor is better than his director, but Lewis was there.
                          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The Patriot. I don't care how crazy Mel is, I love every movie I've seen with him, actor or director.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              THE FOUR FEATHERS.

                              In both its incarnations: wherein the heroic Harry Faversham redeems his honour in the sands of the Sudan.
                              "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                              Samuel Johnson.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X