Oooohhhh! A period racing film!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oooohhhh! A period racing film!

Saw this while watching Elysium (which was so so).

Looks neat. But I see it still has the cliche "why do we race" melodrama.

Hollywood ties themselves into knots over that question and inevitably presents a bunch of convoluted psychology for why racers race.

"Cause it's fun" never seems to fall under consideration. Yeah they risked fiery death but this was the '70s. Many cars didn't have seat belts and you could share the experience of getting roasted in your vehicle by being rear ended or getting your external gas cap sheared off. At least on the track everyone is going the same direction. I got to talk with a driver once and he told me he felt safer on the track than on the freeway.

The Italian chick in Grand Prix had it right. "It is good to go very fast." That's why they do it. Not complex family issues and personal demons.

But the movie looks fun!
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

This is James Hunt and Nikki Lauda back in the 70's. Nikki Lauda was one crazy guy. Terrible burns and raced about 5 weeks later in terrible pain. James Hunt was quite the Playboy who coined the phrase, sex the breakfast of champions after shagging two twins the night and morning before the Canadian Grand Prix. Once when asked how he had set such a fast time , he replied "Big balls dear boy"

Comment

Looks good. I'll be watching out for this one. Senna-Prost going to be next?
      ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

Niki Lauda's story is interesting, and his determination is impressive.

This particular movie, however, based on the trailers I've seen, looks a little shaky. I'm not a fan of the current trend in movies of making an hour and half music video. I'm also very leery of Hollywood's attempt to make combination chick flick - action films (Pearl Harbor, anyone?). My antennae are picking up indicators of both (1.5 hour music video + partial chick flick).

If Castle made racing movie:

1. No music during the racing. Just sounds of racing itself.

2. The cars are stars. (The Porsche 917 in Gulf livery from the movie Le Mans, for instance)

3. Each race should be different from the others, in ways the audience can appreciate. (Wet race, dry race, wet then dry race, got the setup wrong during testing for the actual conditions during the race, et cetera)

4. Ripoff the good stuff from previous films:
        4a. Heartbeats at start of race in Le Mans and Grand Prix
        4b. Interviews with the drivers about the technical aspects of the course used during Grand Prix, particularly in the Monza race in the third act

5. Convey the sense to the audience of, "I would eat my opponent's face to out-brake his car going into the next turn."
        Last edited by Castle; 03 Sep 13, 13:47.

Comment

When did driving in circles become a sport?
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
            When did driving in circles become a sport?
            When it became a race.

Standard: Whoever gets from A to B before the others wins.

Requirements to achieve the standard: Driving skill, reliable car, skilled crew.

A competition of skill is a sport if it has an objective standard for performance.

Perhaps you mean to contrast driving to an athletic activity. There are plenty of athletic activities that are sports (football, basketball), but there are also athletic activities that are not really sports (gymnastics, snow boarding, figure skating).

Sport: Skill-based competition with an objective standard for determining who wins.

Athletic activity: Activity requiring physical exertion in the area(s) of fine motor control and agility, cardio-respiratory endurance, muscle strength, or muscle endurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Castle View Post
              When it became a race.

Standard: Whoever gets from A to B before the others wins.

Requirements to achieve the standard: Driving skill, reliable car, skilled crew.

A competition of skill is a sport.

Perhaps you mean to contrast driving to an athletic activity. There are plenty of athletic activities that are sports (football, basketball), but there are also athletic activities that are not really sports (gymnastics, snow boarding, figure skating).

Sport: Skill-based competition.

Athletic activity: Activity requiring physical exertion in the area(s) of fine motor control and agility, cardio-respiratory endurance, muscle strength, or muscle endurance.
              I was kidding.

Although it has to be the most boring activity I have ever seen on TV.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I was kidding.

Yes. It is absolutely boring to watch.

It is mind-explodingly expensive to do.

But it would be great fun.

Comment

It's boring to watch when it's a procession; with good, tight racing it's a much better show. And it does not have to be incredibly expensive to do (although if you factor in time, then it is expensive). Many racers start out nowadays in kart racing and keep a hand in it as it's a good way to keep the reflexes and skills up. Even the late great Ayrton Senna stayed with karting....... It's not terribly expensive to start out in if you get some used gear ($2k for something decent) and you can put them in a pickup bed. They're a blast, in my area, there are indoor electric kart leagues which are quite fun and demanding. It's some work to drive well so don't think that you're not going to get any "athletic" work in. The best guys are actually in pretty good condition too; they know that way they can keep up the fast laps longer than some joker who's 15-20 lbs over.....

Comment

I was kidding.

That would be golf...followed closely by NASCAR.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by boomer400 View Post
                      It's boring to watch when it's a procession; with good, tight racing it's a much better show. And it does not have to be incredibly expensive to do (although if you factor in time, then it is expensive). Many racers start out nowadays in kart racing and keep a hand in it as it's a good way to keep the reflexes and skills up. Even the late great Ayrton Senna stayed with karting....... It's not terribly expensive to start out in if you get some used gear ($2k for something decent) and you can put them in a pickup bed. They're a blast, in my area, there are indoor electric kart leagues which are quite fun and demanding. It's some work to drive well so don't think that you're not going to get any "athletic" work in. The best guys are actually in pretty good condition too; they know that way they can keep up the fast laps longer than some joker who's 15-20 lbs over.....

I find it generally boring to watch regardless. Watching is very different from doing. There are some exceptions, such as when Melo and Bergmeister finished in wheel-to-wheel fashion at Sebring.

An interesting article on expenses in sports car racing.

Comment

Ahh, yes, the pains of professional driving. One must bring the sponsor to the table. That's why I say go karting which may cost you a little but gives you a lot of fun without the agony of hunting for money. None of that professional stuff, you have to be young and hungry for that pain.

Comment

Originally posted by boomer400 View Post
                          Ahh, yes, the pains of professional driving. One must bring the sponsor to the table. That's why I say go karting which may cost you a little but gives you a lot of fun without the agony of hunting for money. None of that professional stuff, you have to be young and hungry for that pain.
                          My Dad and I used to race karts until he rolled and Mom made us quit. After she retired us I kept involved as a track official.
                          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X