The Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bridge

Anyone watching the TV series on FX? We have watched it from the start and have enjoyed it. The female detective Sonya Cross is one, how should I say, unique character. It takes place in El Paso Texas and revolves around a homicide detective, Marco Ruiz, from Juarez and the detective Cross working together.
    Too Much To Do Too Little Time

I am. Cross has Asperger's, if IIRC. A disorder which makes her have difficulty in adapting to social cues. Kind of an odd disability to see in an investigator, given that interviews & interrogations are key to an investigator's duties, but that's Hollywood for you. They do try to explain it via the patronage of her boss.

I really laughed when they mispronounced 'Waco'.

Its certainly got a complex plot-I'm waiting to see it its going to be brilliant, or just weird.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Guess we weren't paying that close attention. Didn't get the idea that she has Asperger's. Yes, it definitely has a complex plot line with numerous story lines running that may or may not be connected.

Comment

My favorite is the tunnel that goes under the border and out at the Rich Widow's ranch. It has to go under the Rio Grande somewhere. I don't think the cartels have enough money and know how to keep it waterproof!That might work on California, Arizona and West New Mexico, but not on the Texas border.

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
          My favorite is the tunnel that goes under the border and out at the Rich Widow's ranch. It has to go under the Rio Grande somewhere. I don't think the cartels have enough money and know how to keep it waterproof!That might work on California, Arizona and West New Mexico, but not on the Texas border.

Pruitt
          Yeah. Plus they have it on the grounds of a rancher who isn't part of the trade, rather than a patch of ground they own.
          Last edited by Arnold J Rimmer; 18 Aug 13, 03:40.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

The idea that the drug cartels have the money to build and maintain a tunnel from Mexico into Texas around the El Paso area is believable. Look at the tunnels in the San Diego area. Also, it is not hard to believe that a fictitious rancher was being paid off by drug cartels to allow the tunnel to exist. Of course we must remember that this show is "entertainment" and anything is possible in the entertainment industry.

Comment

Interesting show. Gritty and very open about politics, corruption and shady dealings on both sides of the border.

BTW: You missed this....

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=138426
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Interesting show. Gritty and very open about politics, corruption and shady dealings on both sides of the border.

BTW: You missed this....

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=138426
                I searched the forum but must have done something wrong, cause this ole blind-in-one-eye-and-can't-see-out-of the-other-one missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by FTCS View Post
                  The idea that the drug cartels have the money to build and maintain a tunnel from Mexico into Texas around the El Paso area is believable. Look at the tunnels in the San Diego area. Also, it is not hard to believe that a fictitious rancher was being paid off by drug cartels to allow the tunnel to exist. Of course we must remember that this show is "entertainment" and anything is possible in the entertainment industry.
                  Its tough to build a tunnel under a river, especially in the soil in that region. Extremely tough.To do it in secret would be even harder & more expensive. The cartel's ability to move contraband into the US is well-documented; there is no reason to look for fictional methods when real ones exist.

The cartels do not like dealing with outsiders. The tunnels they have been caught using have come up in areas under their control.

Its kind of like pronouncing 'Waco' correctly: attention to detail.

Comment

I missed them saying 'Waco'. What did it sound like?

Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                      I missed them saying 'Waco'. What did it sound like?

Pruitt
                      Waah-coo. soft A, hard C.

In line with the way Californians pronounce 'rodeo'. Which is fine for their street, but not in Texas.

Comment

If the tunnel didn't come up on gringo land, whole chunks of "plot" would be out the window.

As it is, we're stuck with Mexican detective with no morals or scruples and an American detective who is anal retentive, obsessive-compulsive and sexually promiscuous with strangers, both under the dubious control of some old fart who hasn't done a single useful thing yet except mumble a lot and make homey statements.

Comment

I like the series so far. Mostly because I lived in El Paso for the better part of 1967 before shipping out for Vietnam. Up on Alabama street, right across from the Our Lady of Guadalupe church. Myself and Freddie Ransbottom.

I've been waiting to hear mention of the El Paso Intelligence Center (EPIC), but since Ruiz isn't targeting the Narcos per se, I guess we won't. Mexico does have honest cops, and the idea of a Narco putting up the money to save a girl isn't so far-fetched. First, they're as human as anyone else (scary, no?), and second, they're cunning enough to realize that they have a constituency whose support they need to stay in business. The really smart ones, anyway. Script writers might miss that last point.
                          dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

Originally posted by lirelou View Post
                            I like the series so far. Mostly because I lived in El Paso for the better part of 1967 before shipping out for Vietnam. Up on Alabama street, right across from the Our Lady of Guadalupe church. Myself and Freddie Ransbottom.

I've been waiting to hear mention of the El Paso Intelligence Center (EPIC), but since Ruiz isn't targeting the Narcos per se, I guess we won't. Mexico does have honest cops, and the idea of a Narco putting up the money to save a girl isn't so far-fetched. First, they're as human as anyone else (scary, no?), and second, they're cunning enough to realize that they have a constituency whose support they need to stay in business. The really smart ones, anyway. Script writers might miss that last point.
                            Yeah, its not bad. The narco doing it to settle police activity rang true as well.

Mexican police get a bad rep in part because of the system itself. They are so woefully underbudgetted that they have to essentially collect informal taxes just to keep things going. I know of agencies which did not have enough funding to purchase sufficent gasoline for a given month.

Take a look at the death toll these days-if they were all corrupt, the cartels wouldn't be killing so many. I disremember what city it was, but a burg of 50k had its last serving officer (a female) go MIA around Christmas.

Comment

It's gritty; it's different, and it's entertaining. These days that all we can ask for from television.

And last night's "oral sex" twist was hilarious.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X