The White Queen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The White Queen

I saw the series premier of The White Queen last night, set during the War of the Roses. Very well done, and something to look forward to during the long Summer Doldrums.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Agreed, it's very good in most places.

We're up to episode 8 of probably-10 here in London, and looking forward to the next episode tomorrow.
    Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Huh, I had no idea this had started. I'll have to get caught up - it looked interesting.

Comment

Got it set to record on the DVR later tonight.

Looks good.
        "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

I didn't either. Damn. I thought it looked good too.
          This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

They're showing the first episode again tonight several times.

I know there was one playing at 21:05 and 22:10 CST tonight.
            "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

The first couple of episodes are not man food.

However, once forced to watch this costume drama that has substance, you realise it is very good indeed.

As important, by focusing on the female characters, the War of the Roses becomes far more crystal.
              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

I played Anne Neville in a HS production of Richard III so this show has a lot of meaning for me. Plus, I love the time period.
                TTFN

Comment

Overall good, favours the Yorkists and is sympathetic to Richard. Actually I have never read or heard of a book written since 1950 that favours the Lancastrians.

They have scimped on the battle scenes a bit. Using about ten actors in a wood to represent battles involving 20,000 in a field. Armour and weapons look about 100 years earlier than that used in the period.
                  "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Probably because the Lancastrians lost, if memories serves me correctly.

Comment

I've only seen the first episode and from what I've seen,
                      and my great lack of English history, my wife knows more,
                      I really enjoyed the show. I look forward to more episodes as
                      I like to watch a program without having to grade it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Probably because the Lancastrians lost, if memories serves me correctly.
                        The Lancastians won. Henry VII was the Lancastrian heir, he was the nephew of Henry vi. He killed the last Yorkist king, Richard iii at Bosworth.

Though the Yorkists had the best claim to the throne, being descended from Edward iii's second, third and fourth sons, whereas the Lancastrians were descedned from his third son.
                        "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

I've only seen two episodes, but I agree with the lack of battle scenes. It's the story from the Queen's perspective, but I did want to see more action. I was hoping that they would open with the Battle or Towton and see Edward's rise.

My other issue was that some of the plot seemed rushed in ep 2 and I wanted to see more of the good relationship between Warwick and the King to show more of how tragic it was with their falling out. As such, it didn't seem particularly gripping. The Tudors has some of the same issues, but I liked how they were able to let a lot of plot points mature.
                          TTFN

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                            The first couple of episodes are not man food.

However, once forced to watch this costume drama that has substance, you realise it is very good indeed.

As important, by focusing on the female characters, the War of the Roses becomes far more crystal.
                            Caught it on dvr and have watched episode 1. I agree. Soap operaish. But I'm sticking with it to give it a fair hearing. I liked the credits. I kind of collect credit themes. Pillars of the Earth remains my favorite credit score but this is good too.
                            A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                              The Lancastians won. Henry VII was the Lancastrian heir, he was the nephew of Henry vi. He killed the last Yorkist king, Richard iii at Bosworth.

Though the Yorkists had the best claim to the throne, being descended from Edward iii's second, third and fourth sons, whereas the Lancastrians were descedned from his third son.
                              Are you sure?

After Lancastrian revolts in the north were suppressed in 1464 and Henry was captured once again, Edward fell out with his chief supporter and advisor, the Earl of Warwick (known as the "Kingmaker"), and also alienated many friends and even family members by favouring the family of his queen, Elizabeth Woodville, whom he had married in secret. Warwick tried first to supplant Edward with his younger brother George, Duke of Clarence, and then to restore Henry VI to the throne. This resulted in two years of rapid changes of fortune, before Edward IV once again won complete victories at Barnet (April 1471), where Warwick was killed, and Tewkesbury (May 1471) where the Lancastrian heir, Edward, Prince of Wales, was executed after the battle. Henry was murdered in the Tower of London several days later, ending the direct Lancastrian line of succession.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X