Prometheus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prometheus

I just saw the much vaunted prequel to Alien and came away slightly disappointed. Great special effects? You bet. But the film was lacking in many other ways.

Charlize Theron is apparently in the film solely for her marquee value. Charlize is becoming known for an acting style identical to that of Keanu Reeves - emotionless and ambiguous.

For an expedition that cost $1 trillion dollars in future money - probably only a few million thanks to inflation - her luxury quarters on the vessel are completely beyond reason. It's explained away by claiming she "lives in the lifeboat", but there is nothing seen in the film to show that her quarters were ever equipped as a life boat.

The "robot", who is actually an android, seems supernatural. He can decipher alien languages, open coded alien locks, and with just his head alone can pilot and navigate an alien spaceship. And his head can do all of this while separated from his body, and presumably, from his power supply. I figure his power supply must be in his body, because we know that his radio transmitter receiver is in his head.

No explanation for the total hostility of a parent alien towards the human race his people allegedly created. Some sort of explanation seemed to me to be in order, even if only speculative.

And I love those eternal alien power supplies and life support systems. Where would Hollywody be without them?

Thank Hollywood for a breathable oxygen atmosphere after all that time inside an alien vessel. Where would we be without it? And got to love those suits with all of the lights inside so we can see the actors' faces. Of course, those lights would blind someone actually were one of those thing by making it difficult to downright impossible to see out, like looking out of your living room window at night with the house lights on. Can't see squat, can you?

Given that the expedition knows the existence of other alien vessels on the planet - no one ever quite reveals how that information was obtained - the crashing destruction of the alien craft is meaningless, especially when we see that alien vessel fall back onto the surface without a scratch, dent or ding, apparently indestructible.

And am I the only one who thinks it highly unlikely that the alien ship lands on edge and rolls to a stop like a big, fat donout, when it should have fallen over? But, of course, Theron then would have survived here stupid run for her life directly in it's path without trying once to deviate to the side.

And, of course, the signature monster at the end and the signature rebirth of an alien that looked nothing like it's parent or the actual aliens themselves, but more like the Octopus out of Twenty Thousand Leagues.

One of those films that is visually rich but sadly lacking in a decently executed plot.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 12 Apr 13, 14:47.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Yeah, I thought it stunk.
    SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The "robot", who is actually an android, seems supernatural. He can decipher alien languages, open coded alien locks, and with just his head alone can pilot and navigate an alien spaceship. And his head can do all of this while separated from his body, and presumably, from his power supply. I figure his power supply must be in his body, because we know that his radio transmitter receiver is in his head.
      I think the idea was that he was very smart, so that although it would take a person many hours of studying, it took the robot very little time to quickly work out the language. Though in reality, they just needed the language to be read by one of the characters for plot reasons, and he may have made most sense.

No explanation for the total hostility of a parent alien towards the human race his people allegedly created. Some sort of explanation seemed to me to be in order, even if only speculative.
      Yeah, that was kind of the point of the film's arc though; we don't know why, and it apparently gets revealed int he sequel, from what I remember it was one of the questions the film asked - why, after making humans, did the engineers then prepare to launch a weapon to wipe them out? We're due to find out in the next film.

And, of course, the signature monster at the end and the signature rebirth of an alien that looked nothing like it's parent or the actual aliens themselves, but more like the Octopus out of Twenty Thousand Leagues.
      Xenomorphology in the alien series isn't easily understood, because they go through so many of those stages. Whilst I cannot really explain the forms the alien took, I bet someone else can, with much reference to the expanded universe science Nicknamed the Trilobite(http://alienanthology.wikia.com/wiki/Trilobite) it is the result of the black ichor being transfered to the female lead by that scientist bloke. So it's straight from the source (the black creation goo), through two human hosts, making it unlikely to resemble anything else from the series. It then impregnates the Engineer (another species the series only covered once before in Alien) to bring about the proto-alien at the end; http://alienanthology.wikia.com/wiki/Proto_Alien

When xenomorphs come from humans they look like the standard alien in alien, it's reckoned that the proto alien may be what a xenomorph looks like when it comes out of an Engineer, or could be some evolutionary step between goo and the xenomorphs of Alien, Aliens etc. Which could make the trilobite some kind of proto-face-hugger/queen stand-in, I guess

One of those films that is visually rich but sadly lacking in a decently executed plot.
      I thought it was okay, it could have been better - it made me want to know more about the Aliens universe and spend a few moments on their wikis; http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
      http://alienanthology.wikia.com/wiki...Anthology_Wiki
      ------
      'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Mountain Man - bang on assessment. Talk about enough plot holes to fill an Alien ship. Visually stunning, incomprehensibly put together... oh, I was supposed to know that was Earth in the opening scene and that's how the human race got started? <headslap>, yeah, of course I could figure that out without reading wikipedia!

Charlize Theron is a waste. She's like a cardboard. Michael Fassbender's android character had more human emotions than she did. Speaking of Fassbender, I felt he stole the movie.

Oh, and yeah, an alien worm/snake... yeah, let's play with it, nothing can go wrong with that, right?

Get ready for sequels... Promethii?

Comment

Originally posted by Dunnigan View Post
          I kinda doubt it, this piece of drek was probably the Jump the Shark moment for the whole franchise.

In a wild throw at making something that wasn't Aliens but was still Aliens, they botched it so badly that this is the one best forgotten.
          It was even more contrived than #3.
          Remember Alien vs. Predator? That one (pretty damn good, considering the effort involved in melding 2 different lines) had the Preds using Antarctica as a Alien hunting ground for thousands of years... and so Prometheus trashes a storyline from a previous movie , and for no good reason!

Humans had to be involved in the crash of the famous derelict. Why?

If this proves anything, its that Hollywood is in more dire need of an original idea than ever before.

Comment

I Didn't like it at all . Someone trying to capitalize on the Allien series. It was good once Please ! leave it alone. Thank You

Comment

Re the linguistics: The premise appears to be that all human languages (including the written versions) are based on alien lingo, and if you know them all and can sort them fast enough, you can pick out enough information to make sense of the alien chit-chat.
              Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
              Hyperwar, Whats New
              World War II Resources
              The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee View Post
                I Didn't like it at all . Someone trying to capitalize on the Allien series. It was good once Please ! leave it alone. Thank You
                Yeah, "Alien vs. Predator" was a ... um ... great.
                Hyperwar, Whats New
                World War II Resources

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
                  Yeah, "Alien vs. Predator" was a ... um ... great.
                  Well I Liked that one ...Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee View Post
                    Well I Liked that one ...Sorry
                    It was actually more watchable than the one before it, the name of which I have thankfully forgotten.

And which one of you bastards will now gleefully remind me of.
                    Hyperwar, Whats New
                    World War II Resources

Comment

Originally posted by Dunnigan View Post
                      Mountain Man - bang on assessment. Talk about enough plot holes to fill an Alien ship. Visually stunning, incomprehensibly put together... oh, I was supposed to know that was Earth in the opening scene and that's how the human race got started? <headslap>, yeah, of course I could figure that out without reading wikipedia!

Charlize Theron is a waste. She's like a cardboard. Michael Fassbender's android character had more human emotions than she did. Speaking of Fassbender, I felt he stole the movie.

Oh, and yeah, an alien worm/snake... yeah, let's play with it, nothing can go wrong with that, right?

There will, of course, be a sequel. Probably more than one because the latest Hollywoody tactic is to make movies that demand a sequel because they never quite finish. Here we have an Earth woman and a talking head () blasting off into the cosmos, apparently on a journey of unknown length but survivable by eating alien food and drinking alien water (sure hope there's enough!).

So the stage has been set for a sequel...yawn...

Comment

Everything comes in trilogies nowdays; it's less risky for the producers and everything is allready in place, so you don't stop and start three times making three different movies, it puts down costs and you get the same box office moolah back. It takes the variety out of film though
                        ------
                        'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
                          It was actually more watchable than the one before it, the name of which I have thankfully forgotten.

And which one of you bastards will now gleefully remind me of.
                          I could, but since I'm not a bastard I'll leave you to figure it out for yourself. That way you can be the bastard.

Comment

Wasted a potentialy good film with poor plot and pace.
                            Wack tac mac hey.
                            Regards.
                            Grishnak.

Comment

As a couple of blogs have pointed out, the science was pretty bad. Apparently I when I watched it I was in the mood for seeing people die and things break.
                              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X