Richard Griffiths 1947-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Griffiths 1947-2013

LONDON (AP) -- Richard Griffiths, a versatile British actor who won a Tony Award for "The History Boys" and played the boy wizard's unsympathetic Uncle Vernon Dursley in the "Harry Potter" movies, has died. He was 65.

Agent Simon Beresford announced Friday that Griffiths died a day earlier of complications following heart surgery at University Hospital in Coventry, central England.

Bing: More on Richard Griffiths

He paid tribute to Griffiths as "a remarkable man and one of our greatest and best-loved actors."

Griffiths appeared in dozens of movies and TV shows, but will be most widely remembered as a pair of contrasting uncles -- flamboyant Uncle Monty in 1980s cult classic "Withnail and I" and the hero's grudging Muggle guardian in the "Harry Potter" series. . . . .

LINK
    Though I've seen many of his works, I didn't become especially aware of Griffiths until our late friend Gary sent me a copy of Withnail and I.

Forgive my tears, of mourning, and of laughter.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

I remember Richard as Detective Inspector Henry Crabbe in the series Pie in the Sky (1994-97). He ran a gourmet restaurant and solved crimes at the same time. Not too shabby for a 300-lbr. How many Stones would that be? Over 20, surely.

So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X